Have any of you changed your last name?

icebrat001

<font color=teal>Foot flusher<br><font color=orang
Just curious, and if you did it, how did you do it, what did it cost and how long did it take?

Thanks

My son did - we have a weird last name - anyway - it cost $750 as I remember - this was 4 years ago - if you have legal benefits through your job - you will pay much less - our lawyer is a tad pricey - but we have known him for years - so then he has to "publish" your intent to change your name in some newspaper - to make it 'official" - then you have a court date - appear before the judge - judge signs the papers - you pay to get a pile of certified copies - get a minimum of 5 - I got 10 - we did this at the court house immediately after we walked out of the court room - if you go back later it costs more - have cash ready - they don't always take checks- try to time things so you can go to social security that same day with your certified copies - have a bunch of other ID stuff - birth certificate, etc.... I went with my son even though he was 18 - his dad and I had to sign papers - stating we knew and agreed with this - not sure why this was necessary since he was 18 (barely). Then of course, you have to change your drivers license and 100 other things you would never have thought about. some of these - will accept a copy of the certified papers - others will insist on being sent a certified copy - your lawyer files the papers with the court house to "amend" your birth certificate ( this was all done in the county he was born in - may make it simpler - your lawyer can advise you - this is not something I would suggest you "do yourself" - get a lawyer!) - very important to check afterwards that this was done - good luck - let me know if you have any other questions.

You may get 50 different replies, since its going to vary from state to state, depending on state law. You have one variation posted above. In California (where I'm originally from) you can change your name, legally, simply through usage. Check with an attorney in your current state of residency. The Bar Association of the County that you live in may have an advice line for simple questions or the State Bar for your state may have some FAQs on its website that cover the issue.

Hey girl, how's life!? I am actually going to start the process of changing my name. Here in WA state it is very easy. I went to the court house and asked for a name change packet. All of the forms were free and easy to fill out. There is a filing fee around $200 and then once I have that done I take it into pro se court and take it before the judge to get it approved. I have been told it is very simple and very unlikely to not get approved. The hard part will be changing my name on all of my cards, accounts, id's, etc. lol Good luck and let us know what you find out. You might want to see if it would be easier/faster to do before y'all move. Maybe CA is an easier process than FL. TC Kim

T&KHayes said:
Hey girl, how's life!? I am actually going to start the process of changing my name. Here in WA state it is very easy. I went to the court house and asked for a name change packet. All of the forms were free and easy to fill out. There is a filing fee around $200 and then once I have that done I take it into pro se court and take it before the judge to get it approved. I have been told it is very simple and very unlikely to not get approved. The hard part will be changing my name on all of my cards, accounts, id's, etc. lol Good luck and let us know what you find out. You might want to see if it would be easier/faster to do before y'all move. Maybe CA is an easier process than FL. TC Kim

Congrats on starting the process

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think I will look into that next week.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc only 1 hour and 15 minutes left to work and mini getaway here I come! :cheer2:

I was thinking about this too.... Just having moved to Florida, I have just begun the search, I found this site, not sure if it helps you out at all...
Good Luck!!
Name Change Site

_______
Traci

I changed my name to my SO's last name this past January (We are straight, just have made the decision not to marry). He adopted my dd and I didn't want to keep my exhusband's name, so I changed it to match SO and dd. It was very simple, the attorney who did our adoption didn't charge anything for it, just the filing fee. The judge asked me blanket questions such as if I have any warrants out for me, hiding from debtors, etc.. and then he signed it. It was really easy.

dmslush said:
I changed my name to my SO's last name this past January (We are straight, just have made the decision not to marry). He adopted my dd and I didn't want to keep my exhusband's name, so I changed it to match SO and dd. It was very simple, the attorney who did our adoption didn't charge anything for it, just the filing fee. The judge asked me blanket questions such as if I have any warrants out for me, hiding from debtors, etc.. and then he signed it. It was really easy.

Congrats again on the adoption. I wonder if one has to be a resident of your state to get that done, seems simple.

icebrat001 said:
Congrats again on the adoption. I wonder if one has to be a resident of your state to get that done, seems simple.

I'm not a 100% sure if you have to be a resident or not. I didn't have to give a reason why I was changing my name, but of course, the judge already knew why. All I had to do was swear that I wasn't doing it to hide from the law or debts. I work in the court system and people get their names changed all the time for a variety of reasons. There was one guy a few months back who had gone by one name his entire life, and then all of a sudden found out that it wasn't his given name, so he changed his given name to the one that he has always gone by.

Think of all of the celebrities that change their name. It is so subjective that I really don't think anyone thinks much of it. I do get a lot of people asking me if I have gotten married, I just tell them that I have dropped my exhusband's name.

So, I gave up looking online for information on how to change my name, so I just picked up the phone and called the court house, they transfered me to another number and told me what forms need to be filed.

So if any of you live in California and want to change your name, just google the form numbers, print and submit. The filing fee is $320 (not bad!)

Forms:

NC-120
NC-110
NC-100

wouldn't it be easier to wait until you move to florida to change your name? :banana: are you starting medical school right away? any pics or the new house? :cloud9:

C.Darwin said:
wouldn't it be easier to wait until you move to florida to change your name? :banana: are you starting medical school right away? any pics or the new house? :cloud9:

Pics of the new house are in my couples thread on page 2 of these boards, it's on the 3rd page.

It's easier to change your name prior to graduating medical school, it's a LOT of stuff to be done (so i've heard) if you do it after you graduate.
If I do it now, maybe we can get in changed before we close or right after we close and avoid more paperwork.

I have to look up the laws of Florida to see what's required there. I am looking for the easy way out :blush:

icebrat001 said:
If I do it now, maybe we can get in changed before we close or right after we close and avoid more paperwork.

i would change it as soon as possible. that way you can have your new name on your florida driver's license, bank accounts, etc... :wave2:

I legally changed my name in March 05. I had to go through the Civil courts depatment and pay $250- Then I had to appear before a judge and have 2 witnesses, then I had to tell the judge why and I told him this was the closest way to bond my partner and I in the legal sense and he comended me for my honesty and approved the request! the hardest part of everything was trying to explain to credit card and utility companies I did not have a marriage certificate but a legal name change form.. they were all confused but I finally got it all worked out!-------Good luck :thumbsup2

FairlyOddFairy said:
I legally changed my name in March 05. I had to go through the Civil courts depatment and pay $250- Then I had to appear before a judge and have 2 witnesses, then I had to tell the judge why and I told him this was the closest way to bond my partner and I in the legal sense and he comended me for my honesty and approved the request! the hardest part of everything was trying to explain to credit card and utility companies I did not have a marriage certificate but a legal name change form.. they were all confused but I finally got it all worked out!-------Good luck :thumbsup2

Congrats on your name change!

On the advice of our loan broker and real estate attorney, we must wait until after we close on our home to change my name, otherwise, our closing can be delayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter