Have I done the right thing??

lexiluke

Mouseketeer
I have booked the FTP at the Poly, and I know you can't go wrong with the Poly, but I can't stop myself from thinking that perhaps another hotel would be a better choice.

Should I go the extra $200 for the GF? Or would we be happier at the FW cabins, where we could put the kids to bed and still watch a little tv and have use of a kitchen. Our children are 8 and 3. The only place we've stayed on WDW property is the cabins, which we loved, but we were disappointed with the FW pools, but maybe the water parks would make up for that. Then I read how unique the AKL experience is and that you can't see animals grazing outside your hotel room anywhere else, and I think maybe we'd really be missing out by not taking advantage of that experience.

Can you see what torture I'm putting myself through??? Help!!

I think that as helpful as the Resorts board is, it does promote a sort of "would the grass be greener at X resort" feeling. Like you said, you book a resort and it seems great, but then you read the "just back from ....." threads and you can't help but wonder if another place would be better. I think ultimately it is silly to go through that. The truth is that there are MANY fabulous resorts to choose from, and you might like others as much, or possibly even more than the Poly. But, you can't try them all in one stay, so the best way to stay sane in the planning process is to review the information, make your choice based on what is the best place you feel like you can afford that fits your family's needs/wants, and then just look forward to it and be happy with your choice! Of course the AKL has things that are not offered at the Poly, that you would probably love. But you will also love being on the Monorail and being so close to the MK. If you worry about the grass being greener and obsess about "did I make the wrong decision" you will take away from some of the fun of planning, and maybe even some of the fun of your trip.

I think a good thing to do is make a list of the Top 3 places your family would want to stay if you weren't staying at the Poly.... then make it a point to have a meal or visit the resort during your stay and check the place out. Then you will be able to choose somewhere else next time and have it to look forward to.

Have fun!

I agree it is easy to second guess your initial choice because of the wealth of info on this board. I have never stayed at AKL but we did stay at Poly when my son was 3 and he still talks about that "otel with the fire on sticks by the beach." We loved the electric water parade and the pool area and the view from our room was spectacular. Logistically i think the Poly is the most convenenient...you can catch the MR to MK or walk to the TTC and catch the MR to epcot...My 3yo also enjoyed the character bfats at the Poly..he loved dancing around the restaurant w/characters...:D

We stayed at the Polynesian last Dec. with our 3 kids (9, 7, 6). They loved it, especially the pool!! It was so convenient to hop the monorail to either MK or Epcot. The kids even decided to give up our annual weekend in Hershey Park this year so that we would be able to save and stay there again on our Nov. trip.

Yes, I do agree it would be nice to put the kids to bed and be able to sit in another room with DH for some quiet time. The rooms at the Poly are very large (at least the ones in Tokelau are). We had plenty of room to move around and since we had a 1st floor room we could have sat on the patio (it was too cold in Dec.) My kids literally fell into bed every night and the TV didn't bother them a bit.

I think you should stay with your first choice and don't second guess yourself. Like WDW restaurants the resorts too have their fans and those that nitpick them to death.

I've heard very nice things about the Poly, plus the monorail is a super bonus. We've got this one on our someday list, even though we have heard some negative things about it, once in a while.

We try to stay at a new WDW property each time we go, my plan is to try them all!! LOL This year we're going the AKL, again some like it, some don't, but we're going to try it out and form our own opinion.

I think being a monorail resort, so close to the MK and all the food choices (hopping the monorail to the Cont., GF, EPCOT, MK), you simply didn't make a bad choice!!! Have a super trip and stop worrying!!!!

Pammy

You guys are so nice. I'll try to stick with the Poly and just relax! The monorail is a huge plus for us, and we could have a meal at a couple of the other resorts to "experience" them.

Thanks!

Stay with the Poly! The pool is so great you may not even make it to the water parks. Also the monorail access with kids is invaluable!!!!

lexiluke

May I ask what the price is for the FTP at the Poly? How many is this for?
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter