Have Ontario schools changed the 2022-2023 holiday calendar?

MoreTravels

Mouseketeer
I had to book flight and DVC resort booking 7 months ahead to save... so I booked the Christmas trip 2022 back in May. I am sure I checked the schedule back then.

Today... someone at work said, by the way, why do you start your vacation so early? You know the classes for kids end on Dec 24 (ie, last day of school Dec 23) and do not restart until Jan 9, right? Oh no, I booked my trip one week too early. Is it me or did the school boards change their schedule recently?

Obviously it's too late to change. DVC was full 5-7 months ahead of time. I think my kids will just need to be absent for a few days then.

I'm not sure all boards have adjusted, I know the Ottawa Catholic Board did, it was announce before the end of the last school year. I believe there was some discussion on here at the time. It really depends on your school board though.

I must have missed it... As a DVC user, I have to book at 7th to 11th months. It is quite frustrating to see all the advanced planning falling apart. Oh well, it's too late for me to rebook / adjust my Christmas trip now anyway. I need to be more careful next winter.

I must have missed it... As a DVC user, I have to book at 7th to 11th months. It is quite frustrating to see all the advanced planning falling apart. Oh well, it's too late for me to rebook / adjust my Christmas trip now anyway. I need to be more careful next winter.

I totally get that, it's the week before holidays though, I'm sure it'll be a "watch movies" kind of week, or at least a few days of that.

I believe the Ontario school calendar has the Xmas holidays starting early (Dec. 19). However, school boards are allowed to adjust their holiday weeks with approval from the province (or something like that). My school board in Waterloo has the later holidays starting the week after Christmas and extending into the first week of January. My nieces and nephews in Northern Ontario have the earlier holidays. Depends on the school board.

Also - the same thing can happen for March break.

In general....school typically gets out on the last Friday before Christmas. So some years they get out close to a week before Christmas while other years (like this year) they get out a day or two before.

I had to book flight and DVC resort booking 7 months ahead to save... so I booked the Christmas trip 2022 back in May. I am sure I checked the schedule back then.

Today... someone at work said, by the way, why do you start your vacation so early? You know the classes for kids end on Dec 24 (ie, last day of school Dec 23) and do not restart until Jan 9, right? Oh no, I booked my trip one week too early. Is it me or did the school boards change their schedule recently?

Obviously it's too late to change. DVC was full 5-7 months ahead of time. I think my kids will just need to be absent for a few days then.
Don’t worry about starting your vacation early! At our schools (elementary and now high school), kids often start their Christmas vacation as early as the 2 weeks before Christmas for overseas travel to the Middle East and Asia. It isn’t a big deal because the teachers aren’t teaching anyways, with so many kids away. We would have done the same this year but my oldest has exams at university up until the very last day.

Back around January or February of 2022, the TCDSB sent out a survey to parents to find out which of the 2 options they preferred, Christmas break starting on Monday December 19 or Monday December 26th. In Toronto they were talking about the Christmas break and dates starting back in January.

Ya, as an Ontario teacher, this has been known since last spring. I am assuming next year will be the same thing with Christmas falling on the Monday along with New Years Day.

In my part of Ontario, the calendar for the following year isn't finalized until the previous spring. So we didn't know until spring 2022 what the Christmas 2022 holiday dates would be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter