Have seen all the shows on the Fantasy multiple times. When will they have new shows?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
My family and I are tired of the same shows and were wondering when they will be coming out with new shows to watch? I love going to the shows but on this last cruise we didnt go to any of them because we had seen them multiple times :worried:

A very typical complaint for repeat cruisers. You options are to try other ships, or another cruiseline. Rumor has it Toy Story will stop on the Wonder in 2016. So the earliest you could see a new show would be 2017. You can expect things like the Golden Mickey's to always be around in some type of form since it is a montage of Disney films. They'll just update a few parts and sets for whatever the newest big hit is.

A very typical complaint for repeat cruisers. You options are to try other ships, or another cruiseline. Rumor has it Toy Story will stop on the Wonder in 2016. So the earliest you could see a new show would be 2017. You can expect things like the Golden Mickey's to always be around in some type of form since it is a montage of Disney films. They'll just update a few parts and sets for whatever the newest big hit is.
that's too bad. Guess we will just keep skipping the shows and doing other things.

that's too bad. Guess we will just keep skipping the shows and doing other things.

Exactly what we've done the past few cruises. After a few years we will go back, but the shows seem to stay the same. Better on 7 day trips where they will have different guest performers every time we've cruised. But once you seen Golden Mickeys a few times....

It does give us the chance to spend quiet evenings in the lounges or coffee shop, or see a movie in the theater.

Well the shows can and do update, not just as the performers chsnge, but after seeing the Disney Magic shows many times, segments adding in Frozen songs etc were made, the shows are not films, they can update and change within themselves.

Tangled is coming soon, and Frozen will be added.

is there a reason why they keep the same shows for so long?
In order to recoup the costs of mounting a performance (sets, casts, rehearsals, costumes, performance) most shows need to run at least 4-5 years.

Also, it's not an easy task to just switch out sets on a ship, so it's not done often.

These are basically Broadway shows. The production costs are high.

That and for many families, a Disney cruise is so expensive, it's a one shot deal for them. Let's the hype build up.

And let's face it, Disney knows that for it's hardcore fans, no matter what it does, they'll keep coming back. On DCL, since the ships are always packed, it is the perfect excuse to do other things in relative peace. I don't mind rewatching the shows because the seats are comfy. I'm about ready to skip the Pirate Night deck party though. I'm not a huge fan of battling the crowds up on deck.

My family and I are tired of the same shows and were wondering when they will be coming out with new shows to watch? I love going to the shows but on this last cruise we didnt go to any of them because we had seen them multiple times :worried:
LOL! I feel your pain! I've sailed the Wonder 5 times and loved every single trip, but I welcome new shows! I will be sailing her again in May. The Wonder just happens to have the itineraries that I'm interested in.

I am different....been on 34 DCL cruises and I go to the shows every single time!!! I love the shows. While new shows are always welcome (can't wait to see Tangled) I don't mind most of the shows. Don't like Villains Tonight and Wishes is just OK.

We often travel with new cruisers so I love seeing their reactions to the shows and love seeing the kids' reactions too!!

MJ

is there a reason why they keep the same shows for so long?

Good question. No one here knows, but I can take a few guesses. Since they don't charge separately for admission, there is no cost to "recoup" of course, but they can somewhat reduce their entertainment budget by minimizing new show expenses, such as costume supplies. But, since Disney has a permanent core staff for writing, composing, recruitment, training, set building, and costuming, this staff likely only can do so much and their services need to be internally scheduled for all the ships and parks (as well as, perhaps, road shows such as Disney on Ice). So even though there really may be little marginal cost for new productions, the permanent staff has to be available to support development of a new show. Once sets are built it's pretty easy to change them out on the ship, almost trivial really, and since they change the stage setup every night that's a well solved problem.

But again, just guessing. I'd be surprised if Disney contracts out everything for a new show, they just use in-house resources to develop it. But with the probably big demand on these resources for any new show across the company (or parade or center court production or musical), the ships get their turns once in a while. And I wouldn't be surprised if the guest turnover demographic is such that although we all seem to see them all the time, maybe a very large number in the audience have never seen it, or maybe only once before.

From what I've seen on the ships, DCL moves at a glacial pace when it comes to making changes. Don't hold your breath, you'll live longer that way!!!

I am different....been on 34 DCL cruises and I go to the shows every single time!!! I love the shows. While new shows are always welcome (can't wait to see Tangled) I don't mind most of the shows. Don't like Villains Tonight and Wishes is just OK.

MJ

We are the same way. :) We know all the words but even the kids insist that we watch the shows each time we cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter