• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have to cancel october/can't get ANYTHING next week!!! Update--SUCCESS!

jennypenny

DIS Veteran
What a pickle. DH's work pulled a fast one, and now he can't take vacation in October (we had a trip booked with borrowed points). They said he could go next week instead. I called MS and nothing is available. No DVC units (I could use a one or two bedroom), no disney trades--I couldn't even get the wilderness cabins.

Of course, when I called WDW directly to see if there was any availability there was plenty everywhere. And when she found out we had kids she enthusiastically suggested OKW or SSR, which were both available.

I know the whole CRO inventory vs. DVC inventory thing. I'm just mad because I'm going to lose almost 200 points and can't use them next week instead. And I don't get why I can't trade out my points and use them at a disney collection hotel if they have inventory available. How does that work anyway?? :confused:

Sorry to rant, but I was mad enough we had to cancel our TOT run/F & W/MNSSHP trip, then to find out there are rooms available all over disney but I can't rent one--:sad2: .

I'm so sorry you have to move your vacation! That's pretty short notice!

Good luck, I hope you find something soon!

have you used your one time only - bank your points?

you can only do this once. but for 200 points that would be worth it for me.
of course if you have a 1,000 points it may not be for your.

have you considered a II vacation?

how about a concierge collection?

really surprised the MS did not suggest these.

did your husband have this approve then they changed it? I might go look at the labor laws in your area. Not sure they can do this without paying back for losses. which would be your points.

What a pain!!! I'd be hopping mad too. I guess you're not going to nominating his company for Employer of the Year.

NARM

Does this impact airline ressies for you as well? I would send DH back to work and inform them that their actions will result in the loss of a considerable amount of money for you and ask for compensation. Perhaps they can instead offer him something else other than next week.

If it's any consolation, I called the other day (Saturday) to book Grand Californian the week of August 27. Availability was so slim, they called over to the hotel to confirm there was a room left for a DVC trade. There are only so many rooms slotted to be traded for DVC points, even though there may be other rooms in the hotel (Disney Collection).

If you don't have an issue with air tix involved, maybe you can switch over to Disneyland instead? I think Disneyland Hotel also had some availability...good luck!

Airline reservations were not a problem. And DH does special work for the military so dates can change on the fly. I feel funny complaining--you know with a war going on...

We've always been able to work it out. But Oct-Dec is booked solid, and I only have until Jan 31 to use them.

And no, I called twice and spoke to two different people and MS wasn't helpful this time at all. I explained my situation and they'd ask well, where do you want me to check? Then when that wasn't available they'd ask if I wanted to check someplace else. huh?! I kept saying I'd take anything to burn the points next week. When I asked if she could check the disney collection again she asked where I wanted her to check. So again, I said everywhere!! Most of the time I get really helpful people but not today.

I'm going to keep calling back. I feel bad abusing the phone line, but I've never had a problem like this and never needed their help before.

Don't feel bad calling back. Hopefully you'll catch a really helpful CM. I'd consider this an emergency! Let us know how you make out.

Have you tried splitting the stay? If you get a friendly CM on the phone explain your situation and what you're willing to accept. They might be able to find you a studio at SSR for a few nights and a two-bedroom at BWV for a few nights --- something along those lines. You might have better luck with this than trying to find one unit for the entire week.

If you end up using the points for a non-DVC option, you can use them up to your deadline of Jan 31 but the actual reservation can be made no later than 60 days out. So, you could stay somewhere in December and January but would have needed to previously book the reservation.

Did you already cancel your reservation? Would you be able to rent out your reserved week? There are probably people looking for Oct. reservations. If you get cash from a rental, maybe you can get a room with cash instead.

I called MS 4 times. I finally got someone who felt bad about the situation and said "let's see what I can do." She came back on and said I could have a two bedroom at SSR (the same room I had rented in Oct). Yippee! It's a few points less than October, but losing a handful is much different than losing 197.

Thank you all for listening. I really wasn't looking for special treatment. And I was extremely nice with everyone on the phone. I understand that rooms belong to CRO or DVC. But when I read post after post on the resorts board about upgrade offers at SSR or OKW, I knew there were plenty of rooms available. Hopefully someone here will get their waitlist now for oct 24-29.

So, now I have to try and get some dinner reservations for next week. I forgot it was the start of the free dining thing. Maybe I'll have to use that kitchen after all :)

Isn't it wonderful when you catch that 'special' CM! :thumbsup2
Have a magical vacation.:)

Congratulations! I wish I could be there next week, our next trip is the first week of october and it seems like a millions years away :(

Groverdog

Have a great vacation! I'm so glad it worked out.

Bobbi:banana:

PS. I used to live in Yardley Hunt, and will be visiting this old neighborhood soon. I miss that area so very much.

Just when you think all hope is lost...That is the magical way of Disney! Have a great trip! :thumbsup2
Our Thanksgiving trip seems like years away....

Bet this is your best trip ever because it's all "spur of the moment"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter