• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have we been brainwashed?

Have we been brainwashed?

• Absolutely.

• It's more of an addiction.

• I can quit any time I want.

• Disney is just another media company.

• I really don't understand what all the hype is about.

Results are only viewable after voting.

larryz

Rogue Five
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I'm not questioning the motives of Walt Disney or his successors. But Disneyphiles are known to be a fanatical bunch, loyal to the brand, and hostile to those who don't share the passion.

When I think back to the '60's and since, I note a near-continuous media presence of Disney, through the "Wonderful World" shows and the movies released to both screen and personal media. The parks now provide a world-wide presence so you're never more than a day's flight away from a Disney park (and some of us have TWO parks fairly close, if you think globally). And the marketing/merchandising aspect also hammers the brand home, both on-line and at the local mall (if you still have a Disney store).

With the ABC/ESPN acquisition, Disney made their presence 24/7/365 into just about every American home with a TV.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that there's a whole generation of folks like us who have literally grown up with the Disney brand being incessantly and pervasively pounded into our consciousness (and unconsciousness) through all these multiple levels.

And once we visit a Disny park, the image is positively reinforced with the good customer service, the air of unreality, and the suspension of the "real world" just outside the landscaping.

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's a conscious effort by Disney to literally turn us into Disney addicts. But again, the behavior I see reminds me of being brainwashed, addicted, or surrendering to a cult mentality.

No value judgement here -- just making an observation and would like some feedback. And please, take a few moments to compose your reply framed in the context of YOUR OWN passion for the brand.

Brainwashed? I prefer to think of it as having been converted. :lmao:

I voted for addiction because that's the closest to what I call it.

Disney is my hobby.

Others collect stamps or coins or rocks or do scrap booking or play piano. I collect Disney knowledge.

WDW is a great place for a vacation and to escape the real world, but for many this has turned into an addiction. As long as you know it's not real medication won't be required!:banana:

It's just that, an addiction is something you're hooked on and can't be without. WDW provides everything you could want all under one roof, per se. Resorts of many different offerings, dining, theme parks water parks, animal refuge, night life and free transportation.. We're immersed in a small country with everything at hand and the relationship of quality to detail is second to none. We've given every trip there, 40, alot of thought and have looked elsewhere and priced the difference, what you actually get for your dollar and other than a Disney Cruise, nothing can come close. You can do WDW many different ways, commando the parks, just be pampered at a deluxe resort, spas, pools, fine dining. What can I say, yes we're addicted, number 41 this fall, fantastic marketing at prices the market can stand and something for everyones pocket book.

Without a doubt it is an addiction, and I'm hooked. But for those who don't care for Disney, I'm not hostile towards them. I don't understand why anyone would not like it, but on the other hand, I think it takes a certain kind of person to truly enjoy what Disney is, and not see it as just another theme park. I'll always be a kid at heart, which may be part of the reason I love it so much. On second thought perhaps I am a bit brainwashed, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

It is an addiction, for me at least. I have loved Walt Disney ever since I saw the first tv show or my first Disney movie. The man seemed to know what it was that I wanted. A place where I can go and forget about the outside world with all the problems and hectic stuff that goes on. While in WDW, I don't see a newspaper, news show or anything of that nature. This is my time to be that child again that had her nose pressed up against the neighbor's window, (until we got our own tv), watching Wonderful World of Disney. Am I not facing reality? No, I am not, but who cares!!!!

I have to agree with what most of the other posters have said. It is more of an addiction. I don't think brainwashed is the right term to use.

My master Goofy, says I can neither confirm or deny the use of brainwashing through my viewing of Good Morning America.

:lmao:

I love WDW. I have vacationed at other locales and care not go anywhere else ever. As so eloquently stated by Pepe, everything I want to do is at WDW. Whether just to stay at the resort and enjoy time there, if I want to race a car, take out a boat, ride a coaster or eat whatever I'm yearning for -- it's right there. I'm caught -- Hook, Mike & Tigger.

I figure I can spend my money where I wish. If the Disney brand gets so its product no longer interests me, I can spend it elsewhere.

It is an eternal addiction for me and theres no changing that

WDW is a great place for a vacation and to escape the real world, but for many this has turned into an addiction. As long as you know it's not real medication won't be required!:banana:

I have to playfully disagree with you...
I believe the DIS-order is real, and the only proven medication is a fresh Dole Whip or Mickey Bar!
:lmao:

I have always loved the mouse but have only become addicted in the last few years. When we joined DVC and I realized we can go every year I started over the edge to obsession. I'm always planning the next trip. DH thinks I'm crazy for checking out the forums but I have gotten so much info!Thanks guys!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter