Have you been to Iceland? Must sees?

Neesy228

DIS Veteran
Just booked a 5 night trip to Iceland for mid-October with my three children (13 to 18 years old). It’s been a bucket list item for us for a few years, so we took the leap!

We are researching and reading on the must do’s, but first hand information is always more helpful. Anything you loved and would recommend? And the flip side: things not worth the time and expense? We’ve also been looking at short tours - 2 days or so - so if anyone has recommendations on that...

I’ll take whatever you’ve got! Thanks for your help!

Just booked a 5 night trip to Iceland for mid-October with my three children (13 to 18 years old). It’s been a bucket list item for us for a few years, so we took the leap!

We are researching and reading on the must do’s, but first hand information is always more helpful. Anything you loved and would recommend? And the flip side: things not worth the time and expense? We’ve also been looking at short tours - 2 days or so - so if anyone has recommendations on that...

I’ll take whatever you’ve got! Thanks for your help!
Well...what type of touring do you like to do?
Sportif, historical, cultural, something else or a combo?
I haven't been since the mid '80's and I'm sure some things have changed but of course others have not.

Well...what type of touring do you like to do?
Sportif, historical, cultural, something else or a combo?
I haven't been since the mid '80's and I'm sure some things have changed but of course others have not.

Most interested in the natural beauty and cultural aspects.

I went twice. Unfortunately second trip happened and I caught a nasty stomach bug so we did less sightseeing then maybe normal. Plus I was there for the Reykjavik Marathon. I didn't do any of the regular tours do to other things going on and again being sick unfortunately.

Based on your second comment I'm not sure if Blue Lagoon would be something you would like. But I enjoyed doing it on the day layover going to London.

We went and visited I believe the glacier Sólheimajökulll if I'm remembering correctly the location. Its a couple hours outside of the capital by car. If your doing it with a tour guide they'll probably tell you this anyway but if you see a sign saying don't pass this point. Please do not go past it. Anything past that is what would probaby be the calving zone from the glacier and even if your a far distance those chunks can kick up huge waves and especially since you don't know when a glacier is going to calv. This sounds obvious but I saw several families walk right past the sign when visiting myself.

This is another more of my geo nerd showing than anything so I have no clue if you would like it. But there's a spot you can go to and walk along the mid atlantic ridge. Meaning the area that seperates the North American and European continental plates. Its short and not much to do. But again geo nerd here so I enjoyed it.

And I have no idea if any of you are athletically inclined but there's several spots to ride the Icelandic ponies. So if you like to ride or just like animals I would say do it once. Nothing quiet like it. Neat way to see the country side and the ponies are native to the area.

I went with my family last December and we did Blue Lagoon right after we landed, then spent the rest of the day in Reykjavik. Next day we toured the Golden Circle area. The last big thing we did was a 2 day tour (one night) along the south coat all the way to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. We don’t regret anything we did. I would say the south coast tour was the most impressive and Golden Circle was worthwhile but we had some bad weather that day so visibility wasn’t great. October is already winter there and daylight shorter so consider taking tours so you aren’t stressed with winter driving which can be very rough there. I would also really advise you take a 2 day tour to get out into the countryside. Otherwise you’ll do a lot of backtracking and waste time. We really aren’t a family that typically enjoys doing guided bus tours but here it was really the best option and less stress for us. Trip advisor has a very active Iceland forum so I’d also recommend checking that out. Have fun we really enjoyed our trip. Oh and definitely bring water proof clothing. It wasn’t as cold as we thought it might be but was frequently wet!

I went with my family last December and we did Blue Lagoon right after we landed, then spent the rest of the day in Reykjavik. Next day we toured the Golden Circle area. The last big thing we did was a 2 day tour (one night) along the south coat all the way to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. We don’t regret anything we did. I would say the south coast tour was the most impressive and Golden Circle was worthwhile but we had some bad weather that day so visibility wasn’t great. October is already winter there and daylight shorter so consider taking tours so you aren’t stressed with winter driving which can be very rough there. I would also really advise you take a 2 day tour to get out into the countryside. Otherwise you’ll do a lot of backtracking and waste time. We really aren’t a family that typically enjoys doing guided bus tours but here it was really the best option and less stress for us. Trip advisor has a very active Iceland forum so I’d also recommend checking that out. Have fun we really enjoyed our trip. Oh and definitely bring water proof clothing. It wasn’t as cold as we thought it might be but was frequently wet!

May I ask what company you used for the tour?

Thanks for all of the tips!

We used Icelandic Mountain guides - and chose them for a few reasons. One was that it was a smaller group mini bus. We are just not comfortable on big bus tours. Also they had a more active itinerary which included a glacier walk and an ice cave tour. Most other 2 day tours only included one or the other. We were very happy with them. Great service and great guides. But it was pricey for sure. I know there are larger bus tours that people also seem happy with.

We booked a private tour through G Adventures. I preferred the southeast portion of the country. I also enjoyed hiking the glacier. Good time. Bring a good rain coat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have been. It is a wonderful country. I took excursions every day. I climbed a glacier and did some cave tours. There is so much to see, and I don't think you can go wrong. If you are staying in Reykjavik I recommend heading to the "hot dog stand." Just ask, people will know what you're talking about. It's good! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

You’ll also see first hand the impact of climate change. It’s mind blowing to see it, rather than hear about it in the news.

It’s a wonderful country. We’ve done evrrything already mentioned. But s couple others. Icelandic horses are wonderful to ride. The puffin Cruise is great, And the food is fabulous, we did a tour but you could easily drive on your own, roads are excellent. And the Blue Lagoon seems to be a must do and I was there, but it is something I would easily miss. It is the cleanest country you will ever see and the people are gorgeous,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter