• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever been attacked by an animal?

Roosters many times, a few dogs, a goat, some bats.

ETA: "Attack" may be too strong a word, except for the roosters; those were definitely vicious attacks. I've had a little bit of fowlphobia ever since.

I got flogged by a rooster when I was little, grandparents got rid of the chickens after that.

Had a kitten bite the stew out of my hand when I was trying to get him out from under a dumpster at work.

Got bitten by my in-laws psycho dog (don't blame the dog, they were abusive terrible pet owners, he was fear reactive).

Not really an attack, but my grandmother and I got "treed" in the barn by their bull. We climbed up on some hay bale stacks when he came in the door, then he wouldn't let us down until Grandaddy came and ran him off.

and, the best one, years ago when DH and I had a paper route, I was delivering all by myself one morning and ended up having to call the hotline to report that I couldn't deliver to one house because a swarm of baby possums ran after me when I tried.

i havent personally.
Yep. When I was about 12, our German Shepherd tore into me, and in the process, our other dog joined in. My mom had to beat them off with a broomstick. Wripped my wrist open, gashed my ear, bit my butt, bit my ankle, among other things. Turns out he had a nasty Ear Mite infestation, and I had ignored his growling when I scratched his head. My dad was going to have him put down, but I couldn't. He had to quarantine for a week, and got treatment... he was an awesome dog for many years. I tell my kids anytime I see them in our dogs' faces... remember, they are one step away from being a wolf.

I remember being chased by a goose once. Had it caught me I think it could’ve done something, I don’t know what. 😂 Have had three dog bites but wouldn’t call any of them attacks. Two were when I was a kid, and the last one was as an adult, by a friend’s dog visiting my home who had a bit of an attitude problem, lol.

We had geese when I was a child, and one attacked me when I was three. One of my thumbs is somewhat flattened, and I'm still terrified of geese.

My dad bought a horse when I was in high school, even though I told him she wasn't a good horse to buy. She was mean as heck. The stable workers had her wear a halter and lead constantly (including in her stall), because it was the only way they could control her. The first few weeks I worked with that horse she came at me every time I entered her stall. I'm proud to say that by the time I was done with her, she was a much calmer and more respectable animal. Still crazy, but not an "ears-pinned, teeth-bared, human attacking" crazy.

I narrowly escaped attack by a crawfish at Everglades National Park several years ago. It was crossing the road as I walked up.

The vicious beast reared up into a three-point attack posture and raised its 1/2 inch long claws in a menacing manner -- BOTH claws. That thing was three inches of pure terror, just waiting for me to take one more step.

I wisely backed down, the crawfish regained its composure, and finished crossing the road and scurried into the water.

I had nighmares for months thinking what might have been if I hadn't been alert to my surroundings.

One Christmas my rude uncle burned down my prized Christmas tree with his stogie. I was fanatical about having a fun old-fashioned family Christmas, so I cut down a tree from my yuppie neighbors' yard (I also fixed the newel post). I brought it in and decorated it and peace was restored as we all sat around the family room playing games and reading aloud to the children. Then my loopy aunt said "what's that funny squeaking noise." Despite my uncle's protestation that my aunt couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant, I investigated. I heard something too, seemingly coming from my newly-acquired Christmas tree. I peered in amongst the branches when it happened. Squirrel! Mayhem ensued, but in the end all was fine and I even got my much-coveted Christmas bonus. Now I know what Christmas means to me.

One Christmas my rude uncle burned down my prized Christmas tree with his stogie. I was fanatical about having a fun old-fashioned family Christmas, so I cut down a tree from my yuppie neighbors' yard (I also fixed the newel post). I brought it in and decorated it and peace was restored as we all sat around the family room playing games and reading aloud to the children. Then my loopy aunt said "what's that funny squeaking noise." Despite my uncle's protestation that my aunt couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant, I investigated. I heard something too, seemingly coming from my newly-acquired Christmas tree. I peered in amongst the branches when it happened. Squirrel! Mayhem ensued, but in the end all was fine and I even got my much-coveted Christmas bonus. Now I know what Christmas means to me.
You serious, Clark?

Had a shark coming right at me and I was the only person left in the water! Everyone else was on the shore screaming to me that there was a shark coming, or running down the beach doing the shark hand signal! Luckily, the shark swerved away at the last minute and I was able to get to shore!
Sharks can learn hand signals?

Sharks can learn hand signals?
Of course. How do you think they communicate? They can't speak!

Dolphins tease them constantly for their inability to speak or communicate effectively with humans. If you've ever heard a dolphin laugh, they are probably laughing at a shark.

I was once bit by a squirrel monkey in a petting zoo. It felt like putting a finger in an electric office stapler. I refreshed my tetanus vaccination after that.

And once I was stung by a jellyfish. So not really an attack. I was snorkeling and just floating around. Saw the pulsating jellyfish coming and seconds later I must have had contact with its tentacles at the side of my back. It was a sudden heavy pain sensation.

I jumped out of the water and just ran to the beach. The pain got less, but was constant for some hours. I also had some temporary red marks on the side where I got stung.

Since that day when snorkeling somewhere, I inform myself before about the common jellyfish in that area to know which one is toxic and which one I may look at without being in danger zone. I feel more prepared :-)

I was once bit by a squirrel monkey in a petting zoo. It felt like putting a finger in an electric office stapler. I refreshed my tetanus vaccination after that.

And once I was stung by a jellyfish. So not really an attack. I was snorkeling and just floating around. Saw the pulsating jellyfish coming and seconds later I must have had contact with its tentacles at the side of my back. It was a sudden heavy pain sensation.

I jumped out of the water and just ran to the beach. The pain got less, but was constant for some hours. I also had some temporary red marks on the side where I got stung.

Since that day when snorkeling somewhere, I inform myself before about the common jellyfish in that area to know which one is toxic and which one I may look at without being in danger zone. I feel more prepared :-)
Jellyfish stings can be VERY serious. The stinging agent is a venom, and some people have severe allergic reactions to stings. Our lifeguards all carry epipens for that reason.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but in the Florida Keys the heavy jellyfish infestations are seasonal. Our worst months are Sept-Oct.

Jellyfish stings can be VERY serious. The stinging agent is a venom, and some people have severe allergic reactions to stings. Our lifeguards all carry epipens for that reason.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but in the Florida Keys the heavy jellyfish infestations are seasonal. Our worst months are Sept-Oct.

Are there any really dangerous jellyfish around the Keys?

I remember two years ago in November near Cape Coral there were lots of jelly-creatures in the water. They did not stung, but they where everywhere. Looked like swimming breast implants

Vicious blackbirds in the Philippines used to swoop down at me while riding my bike. Scared the crap out of me every time. They NEVER did it if my Mom was with me. I am not sure even now 35 years later if she believes me!

Are there any really dangerous jellyfish around the Keys?
We get Portuguese Man-O-War in some places. That's the main one I know about, but I think we have several that can give a nasty sting.

The real danger is not the level of pain; it's that some people are allergic to the venom and in extreme cases can go into anaphylactic shock.

Of course. How do you think they communicate? They can't speak!

Dolphins tease them constantly for their inability to speak or communicate effectively with humans. If you've ever heard a dolphin laugh, they are probably laughing at a shark.
Every time I hear a dolphin laugh, I assume he's thinking of doing something inappropriate; a real problem dolphins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter