• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever decided on taking a vacation

Back in the day we'd take off out of Dodge on a dime; now I have to have at least a 3 month window of planning time! :beach:

Yup, at least 4 times in the past 7 years. All to WDW. In fact, in my latest visit a little over a year ago, I didn't even make FP choices until I was in my hotel room the night before. I had a list of about 6 that I wanted to get, and easily got three of them. But, if I hadn't I would have patiently waited in the standby line, because I'd rather be flexible then tied down to where I have to be and when I have to be there. I don't recommend it for anyone, because you have to be prepared to not have everything work out, but, since I don't stay on site and I don't usually even eat onsite unless it is counter service, it isn't a big deal for me.

Retired so timing is pretty flexible.

Not sure I’d consider it a “vacation”, but Thursday night, at dinner with friends, we decided to buy train tickets to Chicago for the next morning. I would never do things like that but my friend is much more spontaneous. Just got home. First time on a train...so stress free (except for the packing at 8:30 at night to leave the next morning).

Yes.. have done wdw several times like this..the day before, just thru stuff and headed there and once in the vehicle we were a few hours away and detoured..I’m usually a planner but it’s always worked out..and fun!

Not sure I’d consider it a “vacation”, but Thursday night, at dinner with friends, we decided to buy train tickets to Chicago for the next morning. I would never do things like that but my friend is much more spontaneous. Just got home. First time on a train...so stress free (except for the packing at 8:30 at night to leave the next morning).
Do you recall the name or number of the train you took and did it have a dining car?

Do you recall the name or number of the train you took and did it have a dining car?
I’ll check the names/numbers. I’d say it was more of a snack bar. They had personal Digornos, sandwiches, and several other entree-type things that were microwave. They also had snacky things like Chips, candy, muffins, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and all kinds of drinks. Our trip was just under 4 hours.

ABC had a show and the family went to Disney world it was on a Friday night. The next week I was off work shut down week at work. My wife went to work Saturday to see if she can get off the week for vacation they said yes. So we left on Sunday. We drove the 1000 miles.

Did it once to get the cast member rate on a Disney cruise. We booked Monday for a cruise leaving Thursday. Kids were little so just my oldest missed a little of kindergarten and hubby's job was no problem to get the two days off.

So want to do this. I think I can get it down to a week in advance. We may try for it in 2019 sometime. Unfortunately work gets in the way.

Yes but we are five hours from the beach & five hours from the mountains so it’s an easy drive to either.

A few summers ago my sister was visiting for a week. We were bored so I decided to take her and the kids to Austin for a few days since my sister hadn't been there in a long time. Since we drove down there all I had to do was book a hotel. We had a lot of fun.

Booked Caribbean Beach on a Friday morning at 6:30 am, and checked into hotel same day at 3:30 ish... long weekend...

Decide to go see the Rockettes Booked on Wednesday left Friday morning for a long weekend.

but on the other hand

Planned for 6 months for our trip to Paris...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter