• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have You Ever Fired A Doctor?

I fired a therapist I had been seeing for many years to help with severe anxiety/panic. Her answer to everything was to medicate me......& keep medicating me until I was over-medicated :( The more anxious I got, the more meds she put me on, the more she increased my dosages. I did not realize at the time that the meds were actually making me worse. Finally, I hit rock bottom & started self harming (cutting). I stopped seeing the therapist, weened myself off all but one of the meds, & my anxiety decreased significantly. I still take the one med, on an as needed basis, but not the others. & I know I made the right decision to cut ties with that therapist.

Sorry not the point I know but I did not think therapists could medicat I see another doctor for that the name is slipping my mind fwiw I totally viladate (sp) your feelings just surprised that therapists can give meds mine can't

I once...politely fired a doctor, I suppose? I had one that I had been seeing for a while for an issue, which never improved while I was his patient. I finally one day told him, "I wish you could help me." When his response was, "I wish I could too," I took that as a sign that he was out of his depth and just didn't want to admit it.

I started looking for another doctor right after that through my GP. Once I had a referral, I told him I was changing doctors. He was very accepting of my decision, and very good about getting my paperwork transferred. I appreciate that he could acknowledge when he wasn't the right choice for me, but I do worry that if I hadn't been proactive myself, he would have continued treating me, knowing he was doing very little to truly help.

My new doctor ended up being amazing, and things improved much faster once I had switched.

The only time I've changed docs is when I moved to a different city. I've always liked my docs, guess I've been lucky. :)

If your'e not comfortable then it will be problematic. I wish you all the best though. I'm sorry for what you've been through.

Because I am this close to firing mine.

A few months ago I got really sick. Auto-immune hemolytic anemia; basically, my immune system was destroying my red blood cells, making me weak. I was referred to a hematologist, Dr. K. She fixed me right up, and as of right now I'm good as new.

The issue is that, since I originally got sick, I've been in her office probably twenty times for follow-up. That is not an exaggeration; at the beginning I was there twice per week, then every week, then every three weeks, then every month. Now she wants to see me again, next week, and I tried to wiggle out of it. Her nurse just called me and came this close to chewing me out for trying to blow them off.

Dr. K. took me off the medicine she'd prescribed after my blood count came back to normal. Since being off the medicine, I've been back to her office at least twice, probably three times. I feel fine, I'm not taking any medicine, and I have no desire to drive fifty miles and see her yet again.

At this point I think she's just trying to come up with excuses to bill my insurance.

I have absolutely fired a doctor. Several, in fact. If I ever get the slightest inkling that a physician isn't listening to me or taking my concerns seriously, I will find a new one. There are plenty of fish in that sea, and I refuse to see jerks just because they hold a medical license. Doctors should be respected, but so should patients.

All that said, ASK the woman why it is necessary to have so many visits. If she's legit, she will have no problem explaining it to you. If not, then find a new doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter