Have you ever found anything surprising or interesting when researching your family history?

Dr. Michael Sarrazin is in my family tree, he sent the first pitcher plants (carnivorous) to Europe. They are native to Georgia and Alabama. The plant's scientific name was after him-Sarracenia.

My grandmother's first name was Zepherine but she was known as Rose. We always wondered how they got Rose from Zepherine. A quick google search turned up that Zepherine is a type of Rose! A climbing rose. Even my 92 year old dad didn't know that.

Dr. Michael Sarrazin is in my family tree, he sent the first pitcher plants (carnivorous) to Europe. They are native to Georgia and Alabama. The plant's scientific name was after him-Sarracenia.

My grandmother's first name was Zepherine but she was known as Rose. We always wondered how they got Rose from Zepherine. A quick google search turned up that Zepherine is a type of Rose! A climbing rose. Even my 92 year old dad didn't know that.
Just remembered another. Jacques Sarazin, also in my family tree, was a famous sculptor in France-born 1592, died in 1660.
Here's some of his work:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lif...VSZDUKHYdmCYIQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1240&bih=664
Also, Michael Sarrazin, the actor of Young Frankenstein fame, is in the family tree.

Wow. :jumping3:

Different parts of my extended dysfunctional family members were into genealogy and were tracing backs to Scotland, France England and Italy and Portugal as finding the most information.

What my mom knows from those that she's stayed in touch with, we're related to the actor Tobin Bell...think of the Saw franchise. It's great fun when I go around whispering, I want to play a game.

I am distantly related to Margaret Thatcher. Very distantly. Plus I have viking blood and on the other side of the family tree, our old family name from the old country loosely translates to dickhead

I am distantly related to Margaret Thatcher. Very distantly. Plus I have viking blood and on the other side of the family tree, our old family name from the old country loosely translates to dickhead
My last name (Sarrasin is current spelling) means buckwheat. Dickhead-wow!

Other people get to tell their kids that the old family name means "proud warrior" or "trusted friend". not me.

It could also mean the head of the guild that makes the weapons. Depends how literal you want to get with it.

When my grandfathers family came over through Ellis Island, a few of the brothers had one letter in the last name changed so they now have two very similar names - one letter off from each other.

Other people get to tell their kids that the old family name means "proud warrior" or "trusted friend". not me.

It could also mean the head of the guild that makes the weapons. Depends how literal you want to get with it.

When my grandfathers family came over through Ellis Island, a few of the brothers had one letter in the last name changed so they now have two very similar names - one letter off from each other.
My maiden name has various spellings through the years-same as you one brother spelled it with an S and one with a Z. Sarrasin is the current rendition. Sarazin, Sarrazin are two other spellings.

My maiden name has various spellings through the years-same as you one brother spelled it with an S and one with a Z. The Z was considered foreign sounding so the one brother changed it to an S. Sarrasin is the current rendition. Sarazin, Sarrazin are two other spellings.

One of my ancestors on my mom’s side was Hannah Carriel (spellings vary), who was accused of witchcraft in Salem. She was never arrested or tried, just accused and then vanishes from the records. Maybe... she flew away?

One of my ancestors on my mom’s side was Hannah Carriel (spellings vary), who was accused of witchcraft in Salem. She was never arrested or tried, just accused and then vanishes from the records. Maybe... she flew away?

You could look on ancestry and see if she changed her last name and moved to another town in M.A. or another nearby state. Her birth year would probably stay the same. Salem and M.A. in general have great genealogical resources. If you ask Salem's historical resources for help, they probably could tell you what happened to your ancestor. I hope this helps if you have an interest.

https://salemwitchmuseum.com/history-education/
https://www.salem.org/
https://www.salem.org/ancestry/
:jumping3:

Growing up we were always told my great grandfather was supposed to cross on the Titanic but was late and missed the boat, literally. It was a running joke that the reason our family members were always late was because of this. Not too long ago I found his immigration papers that show he actually arrived 11 years prior to the Titanic sailing. Also interesting while our family was always strong in Polish tradition, he denounced Russia as his citiizenship and in places states Russian as his nationality
I was able to trace one family part back to colonial America and a marriage to a Montauk Indian who from what I've read could very well have been similar to Pocahontas, as being a voice between the settlers and the natives.

Martha Allen Carrier was accused of being a witch. She was convicted and executed by hanging. She had a daughter named Hannah - if Hannah was your ancestor, of course her mother would be as well.

https://www.womenhistoryblog.com/2008/06/martha-allen-carrier.html

Do you think this is the same person?

Martha Allen Carrier was accused of being a witch. She was convicted and executed by hanging. She had a daughter named Hannah - if Hannah was your ancestor, of course her mother would be as well.

https://www.womenhistoryblog.com/2008/06/martha-allen-carrier.html

Do you think this is the same person?

I was just going to post the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Carrier_(Salem_witch_trials)
I think your theory is most likely true.

:scratchin

Direct descendent from William Oliver Brewster of the Mayflower. My uncle who did the genealogy research for us years ago has since passed. I wish he had done research on the family prior to that, but I guess that would have been harder back then. I’d also like to know more about my mother’s German heritage as they were much later immigrants.

Direct descendent from William Oliver Brewster of the Mayflower. My uncle who did the genealogy research for us years ago has since passed. I wish he had done research on the family prior to that, but I guess that would have been harder back then. I’d also like to know more about my mother’s German heritage as they were much later immigrants.

www.Ancestry.com

Is a great cheap way to find out more. Genealogy is hobby of mine so if you want any tips I would gladly help.:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter