Have you ever had a room upgrade?

I was upgraded twice, both times at Animal Kingdom. First time we had a studio, and they were doing a soft goods refurb of the studio so we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom. The second time we had 2 studios and requested rooms that have connecting doors which we were assured could be done. However upon arrival the front desk advised there are No connecting studios in the resort. We asked to speak to a manager who quickly gave us an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. Both times no additional charge to us. Both times the Cast Members were extremely helpful and professional. The 2 bedroom was the first time we had ever stayed in one and made us sold on booking this anytime we traveled with another family. I kid you not is stating the 2 bedroom at Kidani Village had more square feet of living space than the first 2 bedroom house we bought when first married in the 1970's.

Where were the two studios? for DVC, other than Poly, there is no such thing as connecting studios.

Where were the two studios? for DVC, other than Poly, there is no such thing as connecting studios.
Yes, we know that now. At the time we did not. It was at Jumbo House and we called in the reservation, so the person who booked us not only did not know, but assured us there was no problem getting connecting rooms. By the way, we have stayed a Poly with connecting room, the Grand kids loved it. They each got to sleep in one of the pull down beds, the oldest in our room (was about 7 at the time), the younger in her parents room (was about 4 at the time).

Not in 20 years.

The patterns seems to be that you are more likely to get upgrade if its a very short stay - i.e. if a room goes out of service it will be back in service in a day or two - barring something catastrophic. DVC books at a high occupancy rate and its unlikely that an upgrade is available for all nights of a week long stay, but there is often a night here and there available, So they will upgrade someone who is doing a single night before or after a cruise rather than tie up the room for a week (which isn't likely to be available).

It is also possible with DVC to find yourself in a different resort if the room gets pulled from service and nothing is available at the resort you booked. It RARELY happens, but it can.
And yes, asking for an upgrade can result in the upgrade - and points being removed from the owners account to cover the upgrade.
We were upgraded twice, both during COVID. In 2021 we booked 7 Nights in a Standard View Studio, followed by 7 Nights in a Preferred View Studio. We were happily surprised to check-in to a Preferred View Room, which was super close to the main pool, and we did not have to switch rooms on Day 8. DVC had upgraded us before arrival, and I'm assuming it was just easier to keep us in one room for the entire 14 Nights. Then, in 2022, we had booked 9 Nights at AKL in a Standard Studio, and we were again happily surprised to be checked in to a Savannah View Studio, very close to the Lobby! We still talk about the unexpected Pixie Dust, and we do not expect it to happen again on our 2023 trip ! :)

We got upgraded from a studio at CCV to a 1 bedroom this past summer. It was only one night and we got as very late room ready notice, so I'm thinking it was just an issue getting a studio ready. No complaints here though, it was fun to get an unexpected upgrade.

Upgraded twice, both pre COVID, both times I'm sure were room issues:

Booked BLT 1 bedroom lake view for one night at the beginning of our trip, stayed in a 2 bedroom Theme park view, top floor, right under Top of the World Lounge. Took full advantage of watching the fireworks.

Booked VGF studio and upgraded to 1 bedroom LV for 3 nights, ground floor.

Both great memories. FWIW, we have also had more than our fair share of "worst rooms" ie. accessible rooms, Poly ground floor lake views (easily our biggest room disappointment in 14 years of DVC), 4th floor BLT theme park room (room is now considered standard).

SOME VGF resort studios have connecting doors. The percentage with connecting rooms is much lower than at Poly. As @Sandisw can attest, it's quite possible to not get two connecting studios at VGF2.

Yup! And, to be honest, the fact that we didn't...and others here did not...it can't be counted on to the same level that it has been at Poly. We were there one night so it wasn't a huge issue, but to be honest, it was a bit of a bummer...

Yup! And, to be honest, the fact that we didn't...and others here did not...it can't be counted on to the same level that it has been at Poly. We were there one night so it wasn't a huge issue, but to be honest, it was a bit of a bummer...

Thank you, didn’t know, thought most connected. Any thoughts on the percentage? We actually prefer dedicated studios when we can get them.

Thank you, didn’t know, thought most connected. Any thoughts on the percentage? We actually prefer dedicated studios when we can get them.

It is a small percentage. I think it was 20 rooms out of the first 101 declared, but not sure total. We were on the 5th floor, all the way at the far end near Boca Chica building...but, it certainly is something you could request in hopes you got them...

Our first ever DVC stay was to be a value studio at Jambo House. Well, it was early July 2020 and the parks nor Jambo House was open. So they moved us to Kidani Village in a 2-bedroom Savannah view! My kids thought this is what DVC would always be like. It was a 64 point to 272 point upgrade.

Our first ever DVC stay was to be a value studio at Jambo House. Well, it was early July 2020 and the parks nor Jambo House was open. So they moved us to Kidani Village in a 2-bedroom Savannah view! My kids thought this is what DVC would always be like. It was a 64 point to 272 point upgrade.
So...have you made your kids stay in studios ever since then? Or did you break down and start booking 1BRs or larger? LOL!

My kids thought this is what DVC would always be like. It was a 64 point to 272 point upgrade.
This reminds me of a non-Disney story. After joining DVC in 2007, our first two full family stays were in a 2 BR at HHI and a 2 BR at BCV. When we returned to our traditional Ocean City, NJ summer vacation, the kids were very disappointed. They asked why we didn't have a kitchen and were upset that they had to share a bed with us. We were staying in a clean, beach block hotel with two pools.

To this day, the kids still complain about the OCNJ accommodations. The kids are 23 and 21.

DVC has definitely spoiled us. (Well, at least the kids.)

We’ve had a safari view upgrade from a standard view at animal kingdom. Then one year our standard view 2-bedroom was literally turned into a safari view overnight in the middle of our stay. One morning no grass, no animals. Next day, poof! Full blown safari! Grass and trees included plus animals. It was a nice surprise! (In the picture below where the line in the grass was a fence, then it was gone)View attachment 698049
That looks like it’s at Kidani overlooking the narrow part of Pembe savanna, which is likely classified as a standard view. In speaking w/ husbandry on various tours through the years it seems they use portions of Pembe savanna as holding areas for certain species sometimes which may account for the disappearing fence, or maybe just part of the savanna had been overgrazed & they needed to fence it to fix it or give it a rest 🤷‍♀️.
No upgrades for me w/ DVC bookings. In my cash days I got a view upgrade - once @ YC & once at POFQ & I used to get so jealous reading of other people’s awesome upgrades.

In January I was upgraded from a standard view studio to a pool view studio at Boardwalk Villas. I had no idea until I walked in. The view of the pool and the pool bar that looks like a carousel was great. Also near the elevator which was awesome.

Not DVC, but a few weeks ago I was upgraded from standard to preferred at All Star Movies. No idea why but the location was great.

Once we were upgraded not just rooms but complete resorts. We had a stay at the Tree Houses that my in-laws got when they purchased one of their DVC contracts. It was like a 4 night stay and we wanted to extend it so we had booked at Pop Century for another 4 nights.

I ended up getting an email a month or so before the trip telling me there was an issue with our room and we could either move to OKW or SSR. I didn't see the email right away, by the time I called the only resort available was SSR. It was a great upgrade from Value to Deluxe!

Never had my view upgraded though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter