Have you ever had dollars accepted overseas?

BingoJoe

Mouseketeer
Today I was at somewhere called Bolton Abbey, its a ruined Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales and popular visitor spot. An American lady was trying to buy an ice cream from an ice cream van but wanted to pay in dollar bills, which the teenager selling the ice cream obviously refused. She became a little irate and ultimately did not manage to get an ice cream.

When you travel abroad do you ever have success trying to use dollars? I have seen a similar failure happen in Italy and Norway with cruise passengers but it got me thinking that if I have seen US citizens try it three times it must work some of the time?

I suppose Caribbean islands etc will accept dollars but I can't imagine anywhere in Europe etc taking them?

I have been places in Europe, can't remember exactly where, many years ago, that would accept dollars at a horrible exchange rate.

The Bahamas will take dollars and as you mentioned many other Caribbean islands will also accept dollars.

None of the European countries I've been to accepted USD, at least at the shops and restaurants I went to. Same situation in Japan.

When I went to Aruba, dollars were accepted everywhere and actually preferred over the local currency.

I suppose it is worth a punt if you forgot local currency, although you have to expect to get ripped off.

I don't think you can get mean when you are told no though. Most people here will have never even seen a dollar, never mind know if it is worth anything!

If traveling to Europe you are far better off to exchange your dollars at either the airport or some of the larger local hotels catering to international travelers. Exchange rates can vary wildly, so having some local currency should be part of planning for any international trip. The person who was irate about the local ice cream vendor sounds like an inexperienced traveler.

When you return, US banks will exchange your bills back for you. They didn't usually bothers with foreign coins but has been a few years since I was last in Europe. Times I have been to Canda I used a credit card to make purchases and the credit card company does the exchange rate conversion for you. You might also find a Canadian store that will gladly take your US dollars at 1-for-1 when the exchange rate is in their favor!!!

If traveling to Europe you are far better off to exchange your dollars at either the airport or some of the larger local hotels catering to international travelers. Exchange rates can vary wildly, so having some local currency should be part of planning for any international trip. The person who was irate about the local ice cream vendor sounds like an inexperienced traveler.

When you return, US banks will exchange your bills back for you. They didn't usually bothers with foreign coins but has been a few years since I was last in Europe. Times I have been to Canda I used a credit card to make purchases and the credit card company does the exchange rate conversion for you. You might also find a Canadian store that will gladly take your US dollars at 1-for-1 when the exchange rate is in their favor!!!
The airport and the hotel are a couple of the worst places to exchange currency, at least as far as exchange rates go. You'll get a better exchange rate at either a bank in town or by withdrawing from an ATM in the city you're at.

I am surprised at Canada!
Why? Especially in cities near the border? I was last in Canada in October 2019 in Vancouver, and Victoria and because of the heavy tourist presence there many stores had signs saying they took U.S. Dollars. However they take it dollar for dollar, which means the Canadian merchant is making 25% more since the U.S. dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar.

Noooo never change money at an airport or a hotel, especially at an airport! They will rip you off! Do it at a bank or somewhere like that.

For information you can’t spend dollars anywhere in the uk so if you are travelling here make sure you have a card with no exchange fees and a good exchange rate or get some cash before you come.

Why? Especially in cities near the border? I was last in Canada in October 2019 in Vancouver, and Victoria and because of the heavy tourist presence there many stores had signs saying they took U.S. Dollars. However they take it dollar for dollar, which means the Canadian merchant is making 25% more since the U.S. dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar.
Well if they are making a 25 percent markup I see why they do it!!!

In 1984 in Poland, yes, yes, yes, they ecstatically accepted US dollars. Unofficially, of course.
That's certainly changed!! I've been to Poland thrice in the last year and they only take złoty which I always convert from USD at my local bank before leaving the US. Why would someone travel to a foreign country and expect to use their own currency? Absurd.

Near the US-Canada border a lot of merchants will indeed take both American and Canadian dollars. I've seen signs in upstate NY near Niagara Falls.

None of the European countries I've been to accepted USD, at least at the shops and restaurants I went to. Same situation in Japan.

When I went to Aruba, dollars were accepted everywhere and actually preferred over the local currency.
Had a similar experience in Curacao.

I am surprised at Canada!

I think in Canada it is common around border areas where Americans might pop in to shop. I don't think you'd find that deeper in the country.

Really, if you're in a country with relatively weak currency, like the Caribbean/Mexico, etc. they are more than happy to take USD. I would not expect that in Europe or Asia though.

My point was that for someone traveling internationally, you should exchange some of your money BEFORE you travel. If you haven't planned ahead like the OP's example with the the ice cream vendor, then the airport or local hotels are a better option then not having ANY local currency to pay for small purchases.

The airport and the hotel are a couple of the worst places to exchange currency, at least as far as exchange rates go. You'll get a better exchange rate at either a bank in town or by withdrawing from an ATM in the city you're at.
That depends on where you're going, though. I don't trust ATMs in some countries to be safe (e.g. Mexico), so I won't use them. In other countries, the ATMs just don't work with foreign cards (e.g. most ATMs in Japan). In some countries, the airports actually have good exchange rates (e.g. Japan again).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter