Have you ever had dollars accepted overseas?

With Schwab's checking account they reimburse all ATM fees and have no foreign transaction fees (and have no minimum balance and no monthly fees), so I generally just pull local currency out of an airport ATM once I arrive--airport ATMs pretty reliably accept US cards. The only downside is that Schwab doesn't have typical retail banking services (e.g. tellers for cash deposits, etc.) so I keep a second checking account for when I need someone local.

It's also nice to not have to worry when I need to use an ATM in Vegas with those exorbitant $9.99+ fees.
My TD account does the same (though there is a minimum balance but it’s low). Super useful when traveling.

Places in Mexico, Caribbean, Costa rica have...I was also offered the ability to pay in USD once in Israel..don't think it's common but I guess they assumed they could offer a horrible exchange rate.

Just get a good credit card that does not charge a surcharge for foreign currency conversions and don't worry about it. Of course it is always a good idea to change $20 or so into local currency just for emergencies.
Many places in Japan won't take a credit card. If they do, they might not take a foreign credit card. So, good luck with that.

I’m amazed someone actually thought you could use USD in the UK, sure underdeveloped / poor countries lol take it as USD are “worth more” then the local currency. UK and in the same vein here in Australia they would probably be charged a fee to then exchange the USD into their own currency so why would they accept it?

Noooo never change money at an airport or a hotel, especially at an airport! They will rip you off! Do it at a bank or somewhere like that.

For information you can’t spend dollars anywhere in the uk so if you are travelling here make sure you have a card with no exchange fees and a good exchange rate or get some cash before you come.
An ATM usually has the best exchange rate for cash.

Yes, I have seen the exchange rate displayed in USD at some of the larger Christmas Markets in Europe.

And as noted, U.S. Credit cards can be dicey in Europe. Chip compatibility issues.
Or not being a credit card culture. In the Netherlands you won't be able to pay with a credit card in many stores. And if they accept them, it will be Mastercard or Visa. Not Amex.

Chances are bigger at tourist attractions and touristy areas. But in general don't try to pay your groceries with a cc.

In Europe we used Euros. Last trip to Quebec, Canada a gas station turned down my US currency.

Today I was at somewhere called Bolton Abbey, its a ruined Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales and popular visitor spot. An American lady was trying to buy an ice cream from an ice cream van but wanted to pay in dollar bills, which the teenager selling the ice cream obviously refused. She became a little irate and ultimately did not manage to get an ice cream.

When you travel abroad do you ever have success trying to use dollars? I have seen a similar failure happen in Italy and Norway with cruise passengers but it got me thinking that if I have seen US citizens try it three times it must work some of the time?

I suppose Caribbean islands etc will accept dollars but I can't imagine anywhere in Europe etc taking them?
I have seen some super touristy places that will accept dollars but they charge then some insane exhange rate. Like a kiosk near Neuschwanstein that only accepts cash might have a sign showing their exchange rate.. but this is a RARE exception and to be honest I have never met any American tourist who expects USD to be accepted.. sounds like an ignorant/entitled tourist to me.

Yup, I can vouch for that being true. Southern Germany in particular is allergic to credit cards outside of American places like Starbucks and McDonald's.
I live in southern Germany, it has gotten better. All chain stores take CC, most grocery stores let you get cash back with debit card payments Many restaurants.. there might be a few independent stores that dont, but most in tourist areas do. But Germany is still mainly a cash society, but finally picking up on digital payments.

but still in Germany if off the beaten roads, have cash

Or not being a credit card culture. In the Netherlands you won't be able to pay with a credit card in many stores. And if they accept them, it will be Mastercard or Visa. Not Amex.

Chances are bigger at tourist attractions and touristy areas. But in general don't try to pay your groceries with a cc.
All grocery chain have CCs now in Germany. I have been using for a while my CC on the apple wallet as payment everyhwere.

I live in southern Germany, it has gotten better. All chain stores take CC, most grocery stores let you get cash back with debit card payments Many restaurants.. there might be a few independent stores that dont, but most in tourist areas do. But Germany is still mainly a cash society, but finally picking up on digital payments.

but still in Germany if off the beaten roads, have cash
That's good to hear. When I lived there for school grocery stores and chain stores took credit cards but nowhere else did. Not even the campus cafeteria. Restaurants and shops were strictly cash only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter