Have you ever had premade fondue from a package?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Never made one from scratch, not sure if I want to either LOL

I see the packaged kind is available..................are there any that are of decent quality? Taste good?

Just looking for something different to bring to my brother's on Christmas Eve. And what are your favorite dippers to go with it?

I see the packaged kind is available..................are there any that are of decent quality? Taste good?

Just looking for something different to bring to my brother's on Christmas Eve. And what are your favorite dippers to go with it?
Aldi's does a decent one.However,we gild the lily and add some more wine,kirsch,extra swiss or gruyere , some pepper and honey.It's really at steal at 5.99.

I always make one from scratch, it's really not too hard. I did try the store bought once... it was ok. I'll stick to homemade.

Never eaten premade fondue...and with my allergies, now never will...

For good dippers for cheese (from all food groups) - french bread, soft pretzel bites, chopped apples, chopped pears, steamed fingerling or baby potatoes, broccoli (flash boil), cauliflower (flash boil), baby carrots, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, tortilla chips...

If you want to make a chocolate fondue instead...

Good dippers - strawberries, pineapple, banana, clementines, pitted cherries, marshmallows, pretzel rods, oreos, potato chips, cake brownies (not fudgy - they fall apart)...

I've never used a kit. I just use this recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/cheese-fondue-recipe-1906678 for cheese fondue. It's pretty easy to make. I leave out the kirsch since I don't want to buy a bottle for something I make maybe 2-3 times a year. For dippers I usually use a dark bread and a sourdough, apples and/or pears, cubed up ham, soft pretzel bites, roasted potatoes or tater tots..

If you're looking for chocolate fondue I still use tyler's recipe for chocolate fondue (easy to google). Dippers for that I use cut up pound cake, rice krispy treats, marshmallows, and whatever fruit the group likes (bananas, strawberries, etc). I've also done cut up waffles or brownies well.

I did once, it was not good. I suspect this is because the store mixes are the equivalent of cooking wine instead of drinking wine.

I bought 2 fondue pots because we enjoyed Melting Pot so much, thinking I should try again.

I see there are Copy Cat recipes out there, can't go wrong with cheddar. FWIW one of the Melting Pot broths tastes exactly like Goya Mojo.

I've done both, and honestly these days I usually buy premade cheese fondue and maybe try to class it up a bit (or not). Tastes about the same to us -
We'll be doing fondue (the whole nine yards, cheese, cooking the food in a broth and then chocolate) over the holidays I think. It can be a bit of a chore but if you are organized ahead of time it's great fun.
some of what we use for dippers are:
cheese - granny smith apples, broccoli, various cubed bread like sourdough, rye, whatever you like but dense seems to work best, carrots, I'm sure some other things but I'm blanking at the moment
broth - we usually cook shrimp, fillet, duck, chicken, potatoes, a vegetable or two (we have several different sauces with this, too)
chocolate - pound cake, brownies, strawberries, bananas, rice krispy treats, marshmallow, cheesecake

I've been getting my premade cheese fondue from Safeway or Harris Teeter.

hmmm that cup of tomato soup I had for lunch is suddenly not doing it - I'm hungry now!!

We've been doing the kits for years! There have been a couple of different brands but they are essentially the same. We add additional ingredients like gruyere, swiss, and white wine, it is absolutely delicious. What we end up with is somewhat different than than the mix.

This principle also applies to canned chili. It's really not very good, but if you use it as a base and customize it can be very tasty.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter