• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have You Ever Had To Confront Another Guest's Poor Behavior?

Pre-covid ...we were waiting in line for Space Mountain and a young boy(8?) was behind me and would NOT stop bumping in to me. I was tolerant at first but after a few times my patience was wearing thin -not so much with him, but the parents that literally said nothing to the child ...so I told him nicely I understood his excitement but please stop. Well ...that didn't work. Unbeknownst to this poor family, I had spent the night before at HDDR ...possibly exceeding my normal intake of beer, ribs, and beans. Yup ...that's exactly what worked.....

I was once in the gift shop in Germany. . there was a guest with a thick accent. I don't know what she was saying - but the sales CM couldn't understand her and kept asking her to repeat herself. The guest starting yelling at the CM, saying ugly things about coming here and not speaking the language. I did step in, the CM looked to be about the age of one of my children.

Anyhow, the guest yelled at me, called me a few choice things - but left. The CM came over, threw her arms around me and started crying on my shoulder. She wondered if she didn't speak English well enough, and talked about how excited she was to come to Disney. I assured her I am born and raised in the USA and I couldn't understand the customer - and regardless no one should speak to her like that.

I'm not a touchy, feely person - so the sobbing on my shoulder was odd. But, it broke my heart that someone was so unnecessarily ugly to her.

As someone who has worked with the public for over 30 years, I can tell you that it gets to you after a while. To be yelled at, called stupid, sworn at, and bullied when you are just doing your job should not be something that is acceptable in society. But nobody does anything, and that includes the companies. More often then not, they just fire the person then have to deal with the rotten customer. I guess their few bucks is more important then their employee's dignity. I have also noticed that people usually target the young and woman. Rarely did my 6'4", 50 year old male boss have anyone treat him this way. They usually calm right down when he walks up. It's not right. Nobody should be treated this way at work, by anyone.

This was many years ago before there were stroller restrictions in the parks. It was after closing at MK and my husband and I had been waiting for a long while for a bus back to AKL Kidani. This woman with a giant double stroller (this thing was a tank) piled high with bags went through and stood at the front of the wheel chair line. She had around 5 teenagers with her, no stroller age kids. My husband and I, along with a few others told her that the wheel chair line was for people in wheel chairs and ecvs and strollers could go through the regular line. She started yelling she was entitled to go through the wheel chair line because her stroller couldn’t fold. The bus gets there and she starts pleading her case to the bus driver saying how her stroller wouldn’t fold and she needs to be let on first. He actually lets her on first to the dismay of everyone else in line but he makes the 5 teenagers in her party wait in the back of the regular line. She puts the stroller in the back side door and proceeds to fully LAY DOWN across a row of seats. She had her feet up on the seats and everything. She laid like that until her kids in the back of the line got on and then she had 4 of them sit with her and sent the other to the back to hold on to the stroller. Pretty much everyone, who got on the bus had something to say to her. Some even took it up with the bus driver, who did nothing. It was the last bus of the night and I am pretty sure he didn’t want to deal with her. The group of people who had to stand in front of her seats gave her a piece of their mind the entire bus ride back to AKL.

Oh I’d have sat my big fat a** right on her. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️

This incident isn't so much about confrontation but, perhaps, protection. We were in line to see Ariel. The railings have these shells, conch shells I guess, every so often at the top of the railing, sticking up. A little girl about 5 or 6 starts putting her mouth on the shell, eventually putting the shell almost entirely in her mouth; sort of like if you put your mouth over an ice cream cone. Her parents weren't noticing and it shocked me how gross it was for her (and for others but I was just thinking about all the germs she was being exposed to). I said something like, "Oh, honey, don't do that, it's yucky." It scared her and she went to her mom. I told her mom and her mom was thankful I told her what her daughter was doing. So, that part of it all went well. However, my daughters, about 23 and 18 at the time, will never let me forget about the time I scared a little girl who was just waiting to see Ariel. By now, the story has grown to me terrifying the poor child. I mean, what was I supposed to do. I would want someone to tell my child to stop ingesting who knows how many germs. LOL

Before covid we had a young boy (7/8ish) in line behind us who constantly ran into us, and while horsing around he kicked my dd pretty hard. The dad spoke to him at that point it was better for a while but eventually he started again, when we looked back at the parents to see if they would speak to him again the Mom suggested "if us being behind you makes you uncomfortable then we would be happy to just pass in front of you" LOL My reply was no that isn't happening but if he makes physical contact with us again I will be informing the next cast member.

Several years ago my then 14 year old dd was sitting on a bench outside prime time while I checked in. An an older man started yelling at her to make her brother stop pulling the leaves off the bushes - well she doesn't have a brother!! She turned around and did see a young boy playing in the bush as the guy walked away still muttering and yelling.

We were on the baggage check line by the ferry at the TTC. I can't remember if it was just not open yet or moving slow, but we were all crammed in there. The woman in front of me takes out spray sunscreen and start spraying herself and her kids - and everyone one else in a ten foot radius whether they wanted it or not. She got my coffee, some little girl next to her in the face etc. I asked her to stop and she started yelling about needing sunscreen or they will burn. I said great but you hit that child in the face and we already have our sunscreen. You can wait until we get through the line or use lotion. She huffed and puffed about people being rude and she needed her sunscreen.

As someone who has worked with the public for over 30 years, I can tell you that it gets to you after a while. To be yelled at, called stupid, sworn at, and bullied when you are just doing your job should not be something that is acceptable in society. But nobody does anything, and that includes the companies. More often then not, they just fire the person then have to deal with the rotten customer. I guess their few bucks is more important then their employee's dignity. I have also noticed that people usually target the young and woman. Rarely did my 6'4", 50 year old male boss have anyone treat him this way. They usually calm right down when he walks up. It's not right. Nobody should be treated this way at work, by anyone.

This for sure.... My first career was in retail, I started out working on the floor and worked my way into a store manager position... I can not tell you how many times, over those early years that I had been screamed at, called names, threatened, cursed at, even had clothing thrown at me, once a pair of shoes... and my bosses over the years I had some that would defend us and go by the policy that we were trained to follow, others would hide in the office, and say just give it to them and get them out of here...

Best story every... So one Saturday during the holiday push, we were so busy, crazy busy. My office manger came in the back stock room where I was getting the hanger rolling rack to go out on the floor and pick up hangers, and trash. She was like you need to go to over to housewares, and deal with a return and a customer demanding to speak to the manager, and she said .... he wants to speak to the man manager... Great... I thought... So as I walk out on the floor, I can hear him yelling. So I walk up and he looks at me, and I quote " Little girl I want to speak to a man! the man manager! I looked at him and just ignored what he had said. I said sir please lower your voice, and explain to me what the problem is... I could see what the problem was, he was trying to return a bedspread that he had used, it was still damp where he had washed it. He was like I want to return this bedspread, I asked is there something wrong with it... No of course not, I just needed it for when our company was here, and now I want to return it, I just don't need it anymore, then he said I even washed it, as well his explanation was pepper with lots of adult words that are not allowed on here... I said, just to be clear... You used this bedspread for you guest room, all winter long for your family and friends that came to visit you. " that's what I said little girl" and they did use it to sleep with.. Yep.... Now that all your guest are gone, you don't need it anymore, and you want your money back. Yes... I stood there, and I said I'm sorry sir, but we can not take back items that are used. according to the receipt you have had this bedspread 6 months, and you said that there is nothing wrong with it, so unfortunately we are not taking this back... He was like we will see about that, I want to speak to the manager, a man manager... I said sir, I am the manager, and all the managers here are women... and with that I put the bedspread back into the bag he brought it in, handed it back to him and said have a nice day. He jerked it off the counter, and knocked over a display... I walked up to him, and quietly said... Sir if you don't quietly leave the store, make no mistake I will call the police, and have you banned from the store, wouldn't that be something this little girl getting you banned from the store, have a nice day.

Two times in over 30 visits.

#1. Got off a park bus at a Disney resort, walking behind a family. A teen boy picked up a rock and hurled it at a baby rabbit sitting in the landscaping. I yelled. His father took exception. I said "Let's stay right here then and wait for the State Police. In Florida, animal cruelty is a felony." They walked off. Children who hurt animals grow up to hurt people too.

#2. Had just gotten in to the DVC Leisure pool at Beach Club Villas when the main pool closed and families began to stream in. A 5 year old with floaties ran far ahead of his family and leaped into the pool, where he then spoke aloud "I'm peeeeeeeeeingggggg". Several adults and I retreated, annoyed, to the hot tub. As we sat there and talked, I said "how much you want to bet that next he runs over here without any family. Watch what happens." Sure enough, 5 minutes later, here he comes. I stood up and held out the palm of my hand and yelled "STOP". He stopped. I said "We saw you jump in the pool and pee. You are not coming here to pee also. Go back." Pretty soon the boy's father walked over with the boy. I had to explain. He became angry and said "we'll see about that" and I suggested hotel security could figure it all out if he preferred. 15 minutes later the boy's grandfather came over, by himself. He apologized to all of us for both his grandson and son's behavior.
Wow.

This wasn't necessarily confrontational, but I was waiting for Happily Ever After in February last year during a solo trip. It was getting dark out and I was sitting against a railing that surrounds the hub grass with some bushes behind me. It was really crowded and a family was sitting next to me. The dad leans over and asks me if it's okay if his son (maybe 6 or 7 years old) pees in the bushes behind me. I get that it's crowded and the show would be starting soon, but I was uncomfortable that he asked because I really didn't want to be sitting next to this kid's pee spreading everywhere! I told him I don't have the authority to say yes or no to that and he should probably just find the nearest bathroom. He grumbled about it and his wife told him to stop and just take the kid to the bathroom. As he's walking away I hear him mumbling about how the kid is so young and why does it matter if he just pees behind me.
Yuck!! I’ve had a grown drunk man at a Kiss concert just whip it out and pee! It was horrible. I was gagging from the smell. It’s a bad habit to teach your kids,

I think the same group was behind me in PotC today! After getting my heel stepped on 4 times, and me asking them to please be careful, one of them actually put a hand on my back!!! That was enough for me - I turned around and swept out my arm and asked if I could have a little space please??? That lasted about one minute and then they were on my heels again. I think I whacked one of them in the head with my backpack when I turned, not on purpose, but for goodness sake!
Ugh. This is so extra hard during Covid. I ask politely once for people to socially distance. Then I stand my ground and let a big space in front of me grow, so that my family is able to have space on either side. Then I walk slowly keeping that spacing even if the people behind me are all up my backside. I don’t turn around again. I’m a 6’ tall large woman, you’re not moving me unless I want to be moved.

As mentioned, I’m tall. My family is tall. We allow small children and their parents in front of us regularly. They don’t even have to ask, we offer. But this has backfired on us where the family kept bringing more and more family - many of whom were quite tall - in front of us. For a Christmas party parade where we saved our spot for two hours, we were suddenly 5-6 deep, pushed back and blocked. Was quite annoying. Or when the small family we let in front of us then put their kid on their shoulders!

I have a bit of sympathy with the kid screaming the entire ride. Had this happen to me once - kid was totally fine in line. Ride started and screaming started. Nothing could be done at that point as everyone was trapped until the ride ended. I don't like to see the ones screaming in fear in line being forced on rides, though. That's sad and annoying to other guests.

This is what happened with my son on our first trip to Disney. He was 8 and the ride was Space Mountain. He was excited about the ride, but terrified once it started. At first I thought he was screaming like people do on roller coasters. Then I realized the screaming wasn’t in fun, and he sounded terrified. There was nothing I could do though. The picture of us shows his eyes scrunched closed and he is screaming. Then I’m in front of him with my head turned as back as you can in a rollercoaster because I spent most of the ride trying to yell back to him that he’d be ok. It was awful. When the ride was over he just completely collapsed in sobs and was trembling. He ended up wanting to try the ride again later in the day, and was ok. It wasn’t until our third trip to Disney though, when he was 12, that his eyes were open, and he kind of looked like he was having fun, on any of the rollercoasters. I give the kid credit for forcing himself to get over his fear. I never really understood his determination about it, but he’s always been that way. When he sets his mind to something, nothing will stop him.

This is what happened with my son on our first trip to Disney. He was 8 and the ride was Space Mountain. He was excited about the ride, but terrified once it started. At first I thought he was screaming like people do on roller coasters. Then I realized the screaming wasn’t in fun, and he sounded terrified. There was nothing I could do though. The picture of us shows his eyes scrunched closed and he is screaming. Then I’m in front of him with my head turned as back as you can in a rollercoaster because I spent most of the ride trying to yell back to him that he’d be ok. It was awful. When the ride was over he just completely collapsed in sobs and was trembling. He ended up wanting to try the ride again later in the day, and was ok. It wasn’t until our third trip to Disney though, when he was 12, that his eyes were open, and he kind of looked like he was having fun, on any of the rollercoasters. I give the kid credit for forcing himself to get over his fear. I never really understood his determination about it, but he’s always been that way. When he sets his mind to something, nothing will stop him.
How brave of him to conquer his fear and ride it again the same day after being so scared. What a great amount of determination. He must be a dynamo.

I was at CR last week and some kid, about 6, was bouncing a ball near the 1st floor elevators. The mother was yelling at him to stop and yelling how that was not the place to be bouncing a ball and if he did it again, the ball was going to be taken away..blah...blah..blah... She was yelling longer than the kid was bouncing the ball and I found her way more annoying than the bouncing ball that I didnt even notice until she announced it to the world!

back when Tangierine Cafe was open I was in there eating lunch and a couple came in and asked if they could sit at the table I was at (crowded). Sure. Then about two minutes later, they asked when I was going to leave. "When I finish my lunch" and I ate it very slowly after that. They sulked the entire time.
That reminds me of a time I was eating at a restaurant in AZ. My waiter walked by and I quickly said "I'm ready for the check" He was holding a tray in the air and said "Do you mind if I just deliver this food first?" I said sure, no problem thinking he was talking about maybe to the table behind me or something. Next thing I know, I see him out the window, putting the tray of to go boxes in a van and he drove off. 35 minutes later he came back! I was on a business trip and had nothing better to do that night, so I just laughed and waited!

This reminds me of the oh so entertaining debate on these boards a while back about whether bubble wands are satanic torture devices or an innocent facilitator of childhood joy. The correct answer is of course both.
My kids use theirs to wake up Dad when we need to get up early for rope drop. 3/4 of our family would say it brings us joy. DH would disagree.

Last trip with physical distancing markers there were 2 sets of people that kept following us to our marker. After a few times of that I just told them to get in front of us. That actually worked well both times.
Sometimes it's my DH or kids getting too close, so I've often yelled loudly to my own kids, "Kids, give people their space!" which works wonders on the adults behind us. My kids understand the plan and are on board - they act realistically penitent. 🤣

On the having to pee while in line subject. DH and I were at DL in June and were in the line for RotR. The line was quite long. There was a woman in line with a young boy who about the time we were halfway through the queue had to go to the bathroom so bad he just couldn't hold it. So someone in line had an empty gatorade bottle and she took him over into a corner and as discreetly as possible had him go into the bottle. I thankfully had some hand wipes with me that I gave her so she could clean her hands. Nobody in line was upset or offended. In fact everyone was very understanding and supportive and helped as much as they could. Now had she let him just pee anywhere I don't think that would have been the case.
ohhhh. If we can, we try to find a CM to help us in and out of line. They've been really really helpful. We had to do that once after a 45 min wait for soarin. They had us walk back out through the FP line and then go back that way as well.

Another time ... we were in the line for FEA and had gotten ALMOST to the boarding the boats part. DD1 and I were actually just around a corner.... Well, my DD2 was only recently potty trained (2.5 or 3?) and she was joking with DH while he was holding her, and we heard, "I'm gonna pee on you!" in a laughing little voice and then totally distraught wailing seconds later, when she in fact peed on him. Like, a lot. The CM took us all out of line, had DD1 and me wait with them, while DH took DD2 through the exit and store (and was told to come back in that way) to change her. The dry clothes were back in the stroller.

That happened to us on our only FOP ride. Kid was crying before it started, it escalated when the straps came on for the banshee (totally understand how this could freak a kid out), and she cried that “I can’t catch my breath” cry the whole time. The parents were not very comforting to her afterward
Pre-pandemic, we were in line with FPs with a dad and his daughter who was probably a year younger than my DD1 (so around 7 or 8). Chatted through the line, etc. We start boarding the ride and the dad is too large to fit in the "banshee." They try every which way, and they can't get the thing to latch. He was so disappointed, and the girl was afraid to ride without him (maybe too young to ride alone, now that I think about it?) I felt SO badly for them. So I told the dad that if he was ok with it, I would be her designated adult and bring her out when the ride was done, but it would be a shame to miss out on this ride. So we moved a bit so she sat between me and DD1 and during the ride she got a little scared so I ended up holding her hand, while DD1 reassured her too. The dad was waiting in the hallway just outside, and I was so happy his daughter got to experience the ride and tell him about it.

As for confronting others ... I generally try not to, but:

1. not really a confrontation, but avoidance - a couple of years ago a big bearded guy who was loud and with a loud family in tow, starts pushing and shoving toward the front of the hub for fireworks after everyone has been waiting for a while. Stepping on people, kids, etc. We thought he was looking for someone holding space, but no - he's just pushing his way into as far as he can go to get the best view for this big, unruly group. All the people he's stepping on and pushing are crying out in pain and surprise, and as he passes them he says things like, "well get the **** out of my way, then!" He actually stops to get into shouting matches with (mostly dads) parents who call him on his behavior. Everyone quiets down as the fireworks start. When the fireworks are over, he does the same thing in reverse, shoving his way past the crowd walking toward the exit - at one point he flings his arm back as he's stopped and yelling at someone, more F bombs ... and whacks me in the chest. I yell in surprise and pain, and DH (who actually has a black belt in a martial art) pulls me along, like, let's just get outta here. The guy looks at me, and goes right back to his argument with someone else. Do people like him ever realize if they're always getting into these kind of arguments, that maybe they're the problem??

2. I was at Test Track over spring break and some youngish (no older than 14, 15) boys were wearing Disney themed tees (yay) that made drinking jokes (boo) - one was a darth Vader "drunk side" tee and one made fun of forky being "drunk". They were also talking like how they thought older guys talked, where every other word was a swear word (but still talking about Disney, lol). My kids (5, 9) were mortified. Finally, I said, "I'm not trying to keep you from having fun, and I don't want to be that cranky old lady, but could you, you know ... (jerks head conspiratorially to my kids who are standing there like 👀 👀) maybe cool it w the F bombs?" They kept their distance and lowered their voices...

Once about 5 years ago at the Epcot POR bus stop at closing....some of y'all might remember this cause there was a ton of people there...a woman in a scooter tried to take the thing through the line with her family...yes I'm serious...I was nice and told her that she could just go to the front with her family in the scooter loading area. Dude next to her told me to mind my own business which I did (I was half in the bag from drinking around the world ya know so I was docile)...scooter lady lost control and rammed it so hard in the lane that the scooter handle bars got wedged and the front wheel was off the ground...I stepped forward minding my own business and the wife has never let me forget it.

Honestly only once. We were at Disneyland and a mother and her child were at Casey Junior close too the gate and the kid kept putting their fingers were the gate closes. The cast member closest kept telling the child and mother to watch their fingers and be careful but the mother wasn't doing anything and the kid kept messing around. Finally the kid did get their fingers hurt and the mother was pissed and went all "I want to speak to the manager". Since we saw the whole thing we explained to the manager after the mother spoke to them that the cast member warned the kid and mother several times and that it wasn't the cast members fault.

I don't remember this story because I was so little, but my dad loves to tell it and it's kinda funny. He said that we were all in line for a ride and all of these people kept cutting in front of them. A few minutes later more of their family would come and then some more people would come...and my aunt finally said that they needed to go to the back of the line instead of cutting in front of everyone. They said they did not speak English. My dad said my aunt held up her fist and said "you understand this don't you" and they all left and got at the end of the line. LOL

And another story I do remember- we were sitting waiting on the parade when this man brings his kids and had them sit right in front of us. (We were already right at the rope so when he put them in front of us, we had to move back.) So my dad said something to him and he said "well my kids want to see" and my dad said "well those are my kids that also want to see that you just put your kids in front of". Dude POKED MY DAD with his finger in my dad's stomach. I thought my dad was going to lose it. Needless to say, the guy nor his kids moved. But ruined my dad's day to say the least.

While standing in line for pirates there were 2 women,each which appeared to be their own son, both about 7, standing in front if me and my adult daughter. The 2 ladies were COMPLETELY IGNORING their boys as one of them kept hitting me with a twig he had found on the ground. I asked him nicely to quit and he gave me a nasty look and did it again! I asked loudly, this time directed to his mother who just glared at me. He smirked and did it a third time. This time I got down on his level and asked him if he knew who Harry Potter was. He said yes, so I told him I was a witch and would turn him into a snake if he did it again. That little turd hit me with his stupid stick again so I got down next to him, looked him in the eyes and said " Serpensortia". He then whimpered and crawled up in his mothers arms and totally avoided me from them on...priceless.

Only once. We were in the stand by line for TT when a guy walked past us and stood right in front of us. I let it go as I thought he might be with the party in front. Then a child came forward and joined him, then another child, then he motioned for 3 adults further back in the line to do the same. I'd had enough so stood blocking their way. They were quite polite when they asked me to move aside but I said no. They were Spanish speaking (I'm English) and were quite surprised when I told them in Spanish that they were not going to push in front. They then exploded at me and a cast member came over. I explained what had happened, backed up by the family who had been behind us. The cast member took us and the family behind us past them. The family who had cut in grumbled the whole time until we got to the ride.

We were at Le Cellier once and a Mom and Dad and two kids were seated two tables away from us. If you've been there before you know how close the tables are, so they were not very far away. One of the kids was having a full on meltdown. I'm talking crying, screaming, banging things on the table, throwing things - the works. The Dad starts yelling at the Mom to do something to which she replied - what do want me to do? The tantrum continues. Their server was wonderful. She kept trying to engage the kid (as the parents were doing absolutely nothing) but no avail. This was going on for a good 15 - 20 minutes or so. At this point, numerous guests (ourselves included) were complaining to our own servers. Finally the manager comes over and tells them if they can't get their child under control they will have to leave. At this point they all get up and leave but not before the Dad walks through the restaurant screaming "F you all" over and over pointing to all of the other tables and guests as they made their way to the door (kid's still screaming). The only person in that family that showed any remorse was the older brother. He looked mortified. It was heartbreaking.

To this day, I've never seen anything like it again in a restaurant - thankfully. Our son was about eight at the time and he got quite the education that night about how not to behave. Who says Disney isn't educational?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter