Have you ever protested against anything?

in 1969 I picketed the local ABC station because they dropped Dark Shadows and replaced it with Lassie. As I have posted before, 20 years later I went to work at that TV station.
:rotfl2:First World Problems before they were a thing. Did you get Dark Shadows back on?
Yes. In the late early 70s we'd go to anti-war demonstrations on Boston Common.
In the late 70s and early 80s I was part of the rotating teams that would regularly protest the construction of the Seabrook NH Nuclear Power Plant. It was weird. I had two roommates who were working at the construction site (one carpenter, on electrician). They'd finish working for the day and then join us on the picket lines.
That's not weird, it's idiotic. There's a lot of similar hypocrisy amongst protesters of various ilks today.

I have been out on the lines since 1978 protesting. I don't march anymore because I physically can't and don't feel safe doing it with a scooter. I still call my reps and senators and vote with my purchases as well as in every election. I will stand against injustice until I am dead.
Do you have a Welsh heritage?

:rotfl2:First World Problems before they were a thing. Did you get Dark Shadows back on?

That's not weird, it's idiotic. There's a lot of similar hypocrisy amongst protesters of various ilks today.
No, never came back on. Rumor was they WERE going to put it back on in 1971, but then the ABC Network canceled it. Remember, no Cable TV in 1969. When you only had 5 channels, losing your favorite program on one of them was huge. I think the viewing options in those days against Dark Shadows were Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, a really bad, old black and white movie on the Independent station and the local Public Tv station was running homework help shows

Yeah, but they needed the jobs. I agree it's hypocritical, but as they were my housemates I kinda needed them to have the job, too! We were young...

Is Olwyn a family name? Which part of Wales? 👃
Yes, it is. The last one in the family was my Grandfather's little sister who died "of a broken heart" after losing their mother in the Great Flu Epidemic. Grandpa always said I was his Olwyn come back to him and most of the time called me that instead of my own name! I have identified with that name since I was a child and usually use it on line. As for where in Wales, I would have to dig deep in my ancestry account to find it--I can not remember or spell the names of Welsh towns to save my life--I do know it is one of the female lines back from my Grandfather's Mom.

Yes, it is. The last one in the family was my Grandfather's little sister who died "of a broken heart" after losing their mother in the Great Flu Epidemic. Grandpa always said I was his Olwyn come back to him and most of the time called me that instead of my own name! I have identified with that name since I was a child and usually use it on line. As for where in Wales, I would have to dig deep in my ancestry account to find it--I can not remember or spell the names of Welsh towns to save my life--I do know it is one of the female lines back from my Grandfather's Mom.
It is actually very common in Wales for people not to be called by their birth names. My parents called me a completely different name to my birth name and also ‘gave’ my children different names to their birth names, which we all use intermittently. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just seems to be the way here. They are not ‘pet’ names or diminutives, just completely different.

Yeah, but they needed the jobs. I agree it's hypocritical, but as they were my housemates I kinda needed them to have the job, too! We were young...
:confused3 I'm not giving you a hard time about it and you definitely don't have to defend someone else's decades old conduct to me. I do have these kinds of discussions with my own young adult though, about logical consistency and the nature of integrity. Then he and his friends do what they want with their budding ideologies.

It is actually very common in Wales for people not to be called by their birth names. My parents called me a completely different name to my birth name and also ‘gave’ my children different names to their birth names, which we all use intermittently. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just seems to be the way here. They are not ‘pet’ names or diminutives, just completely different.
That is really cool! Like I said, I have always felt more like an Olwyn than an Amy so I am glad my Grandpa was keeping up a tradition :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter