Have you ever seen "I Love Lucy" or "The Dick Van Dyke Show"?

I absolutely love I Love Lucy. I was born in 1984 and grew up watching re runs! So obsessed. It's hilarious

Not really local television news doesn't really match up with 60's sitcoms.

How many people here have watched Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, or Blues Clues? My guess, unless you have younger kids, is not many.

I have seen all 3 and I'm 35. And I LOVED reruns of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke show growing up, thanks to my mom also loving those. And I grew up watching things like Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, and Full House. I had the best of tv growing up, I think. ;)

Honestly, someone not even hearing of I Love Lucy makes both my heart and my brain hurt a bit.

Yes. Dick Van Dyke reruns on Nick at NIght were a highlight of my childhood. Same with Mary Tyler Moore and many other classic shows.

Love classic TV (50s, '60s, '70s and some '80s (Facts of Life, Dynasty)) and have many complete series on DVD. I Love Lucy will always be my all time favorite.
But I also love (to name a few):
Leave It To Beaver
Beverly Hillbillies
Patty Duke Show
Lucy Show
Petticoat Junction
Munsters
Gilligan's Island
Bewitched
That Girl
Family Affair
Doris Day Show
Mothers In Law
Partridge Family
Brady Bunch
Here's Lucy
Mary Tyler Moore
Maude
Little House On The Prairie

We have most of I Love Lucy (and the Lucille Ball Show, and the Lucy Show) on DVD and watch them pretty regularly. My 13 year old son loves them and pulls them out to watch them all in order every few months. We have a season of the Dick Van Dyke show on DVD as well, and we have watched it a couple times, we don't like it nearly as much as Lucy.

We do tend to watch older shows repeatedly, a lot more than the newer ones. For a long time our son was fixated on what I called the Three Circles of DVD Hell: Punky Brewster, Alf and The Nanny :sad2::sad2::sad2:

I heard someone say there daughter saw and old phone booth and asked her mom how to use it.i love stumping the kids today

Hey my niece saw a rotary phone and didn't have a clue how to make a call. I didn't want to make her feel bad so I didn't show her the two cans and string :duck:

I love I Love Lucy and the Dick Van Dyke show is good too. I watched Nick at Night regularly back when it was good. I really liked the Donna Reed Show.

Yes I know both and so do my teens! I know some teens who have never heard of the Beetles.:faint:

Funny thing is, CBS ran a colorized original Dick Van Dyke show in prime time on December 9th.

I didn't see the show, just the ad, but my reaction was "I thought it always was in color". Guess my brain while it's not busy losing items in the house, it's adding color to old tv shows.

I think the only show that's aired on television as much as I Love Lucy, also from the same era, is The Honeymooners. Seems like they've been showing late night marathons of that for decades, and frankly I don't get the appeal. I know Jackie Gleason is considered a comedy legend, but I never found him funny and have never cared for that show. JMHO.

I dunno, they all know who the Beatles are....

This cyber age is ripe with information from every era in the past, waiting there at one's fingertips. I would hope some of these kids go home and seek out video clips from classic shows when they learn of them from work discussions, etc. ESPECIALLY if they're in the TV biz.

LOL. I had a graphics operator about 25 years ago "correct" my spelling of "The Beatles" to "The Beetles". You should have heard the screams in the control room when that went up on the air. And he was ready to argue that he has correct. He doesn't do graphics anymore.......he's been a manager for about 15 years now in another city!

I'm just a tiny bit too young to have seen either of them when they were originally broadcast; most of the Lucy re-runs I remember seeing have been on a never-ending loop on RCCL cruise ships :p. I don't distinctly recall Dick Van Dyke but I might if somebody refreshed my memory about the show and the characters.

As for my DS? He's 20 and a digital media major so perhaps he's learned about them as "historical entertainment icons" but I'd bet the farm he's never seen an episode of either on his own accord. For me, the "classics" were Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, The Partridge Family and the Carol Burnett Show. I doubt he's seen any of those, either. Ask him what "classic comedy" is and he'd say Malcolm in the Middle and King of the Hill! :rotfl:

Our Miss Brooks
I Married Joan
The Rifleman
Gunsmoke
Have Gun Will Travel
Father Know's best
The Real McCoy's
Leave it to Beaver
December Bride And the list goes on. . .

Pretty sure I have seen every episode of I Love Lucy at some point in syndication. I have only watched some of Dick Van Dyke. I am sure I haven't seen them all.

I have seen "I Love Lucy" before, but never really watched it. I have heard of the "Dick Van Dyke Show", but I have never seen it.

I'm 31 and know both those shows. I grew up watching lots of Nick at Nite and TV Land.
I don't really care for I Love Lucy but I love The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Yes to both. Watched I Love Lucy reruns all the time during my childhood (60's and 70's- pre-cable). I also remember The Lucy Show with Vivian Vance, and Here's Lucy with her real-life children (had a crush on Desi Jr.). I watched the Dick Van Dyke Show occasionally but not nearly as much.

I actually liked The Lucy Show better than I Love Lucy. At least the first three seasons, when the show was set in Danfield, New York. Once the setting was shifted to California without Vivian Vance, the show lost some steam. For the most part, I only remember The Lucy Show from reruns. I did watch the later Here's Lucy, but that has aged badly. It's pretty much unwatchable anymore; some of it embarrassingly awful.

Lucille Ball's ill-advised return to TV in the mid 1980s with Live With Lucy was absolutely dreadful. I think that show was yanked after 6 or 7 episodes.

I probably only saw about a dozen episodes of the original Dick Van Dyke show. It was OK, but I never really got into it.

I have a book about Lucille Ball's entire TV career. A synopsis of every episode of all her TV series is included, as well as numerous guest appearances on other shows and specials. Concerning The Lucy Show, about two women living together without a man, supposedly some of the crew sneeringly referred to it as the Dyke Van Dick show. When Lucille Ball found out, she blew a fuse.

Love classic TV (50s, '60s, '70s and some '80s (Facts of Life, Dynasty)) and have many complete series on DVD. I Love Lucy will always be my all time favorite.
But I also love (to name a few):
Leave It To Beaver
Beverly Hillbillies
Patty Duke Show
Lucy Show
Petticoat Junction
Munsters
Gilligan's Island
Bewitched
That Girl
Family Affair
Doris Day Show
Mothers In Law
Partridge Family
Brady Bunch
Here's Lucy
Mary Tyler Moore
Maude
Little House On The Prairie

I never noticed until lately but Family Affair and My Three Sons were both produced by Don Fedderson. The graphics and opening music to both are extremely similar

I made a reference to Gilligan's Island the other day and my kids had no clue what I was talking about. What?? It then occurred to me there been no reruns in this house of Gilligan's Island. We grew up on those reruns.
TVLand sure a small block of episodes once a week.
But then part of it could be the fault of tv stations in general these days, since the only way you can ever see I Love Lucy anymore is on Hallmark Channel at an obscure hour, which is sad.
Hey! What do you mean, 4:30 AM is an obscure hour? ;) (note to anyone looking for it, you have to wait until after Christmas.)
My sister was lamenting this past weekend that she knows people who have never heard of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".
Seriously? It was just on this weekend, there've been years when it's aired every night from thanksgiving to Christmas, there are a bunch of remakes...

I just watched the episode of The Dick Van Dyke show that he thought the baby was switched and I hadn't seen it before. It was hilarious!
That was hilarious! And yes, I saw the original episode :)
Lucille Ball's ill-advised return to TV in the mid 1980s with Live With Lucy was absolutely dreadful. I think that show was yanked after 6 or 7 episodes.
Did you ever see her last tv movie, "Stone Pillow"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter