Have you have issues with your chip cards being compromised?

A post on my FB feed is blowing up today with people who have, or are going to switch back to swipe only credit and debit cards after repeatedly having their chip cards compromised?

Anyone here had an issue?

How do they have that option? Once our banks here switched to chip cards, there is no going back. There is no option here of going back to swipe only cards.

I found it odd that the US didn't adopt this faster. We've had chip and PIN for over 10 years in canada and even long in Europe. It's definitely more secure than swiping and signing or swiping and PIN. The CHIP is much more difficult to make a duplicate card and It has to be in the reader at the time the PIN is entered.
I'm hoping that they are just staging the changes because the American public is too stupid to go right to chip and pin. I hope they are getting them used to the chip first and then will add the pin later.

We got our first chip and pin card a little over 9 years ago. They*ve been our primary cards, used heavily worldwide ever since. We have had no fraud issues whatsoever.

As is common in our area, online purchases send a text to the cell phone registered with the card and we have to input a code from the text for any large charge to go through.

Prior to chip and pin, we had issues about every 3-5 years on swipe cards.

Recently my chip card info was stolen and used to make “test charges” in Washington DC. Chase caught it right away because i was using it the same day in Texas. I have no idea how it was compromised because I haven’t bought anything online in months (and almost only shop on amazon) and I didn’t lose the physical card. But they cancelled that card and sent me a new one.

How do they have that option? Once our banks here switched to chip cards, there is no going back. There is no option here of going back to swipe only cards.
I can't find a bank that allows it, but poster said it is a Credit Union.

You could just damage your chip and then you would have to use the swipe.
Not that I would really recommend doing that, but I know it works if the machine can't read your chip.

The chip alone is NOT enough security. Chip and pin is the way to go but the credit card companies don't want to make the changes. They would rather absorb the cost of fraud than spend the money to make chip and pin standard here in the US. They don't give a crap if people are inconvenienced.

FWIW, my chip cards have been just fine.

Chip and PIN is an additional security measure. But still not 100%. TESCO bank in the U.K. had a security breach in November 2016 that chip and pin did nothing to stop.

The biggest problem isn't that there's a smart card (i.e. chip) or contactless smart card system. These all require some sort of long key and a response that should be near impossible to crack simply by monitoring a one-time transaction which well never be repeated.

The weak point is still that we have the name, credit card number, expiration date, and card verification number printed on the card. Anyone who sees the card and can remember (or even take a photo) of the credit card number, expiration date, and CVV can make an online purchase or encode that to a magnetic strip. You hand that over to someone and they have everything needed to make a purchase.

I don't know if there's any real way around that other than that we stop being able to use credit card numbers to make purchases. I thought there was a push to use personal smart card readers to make online purchases. I thought that the original AMEX BLUE card came with a reader.

I found it odd that the US didn't adopt this faster. We've had chip and PIN for over 10 years in canada and even long in Europe. It's definitely more secure than swiping and signing or swiping and PIN. The CHIP is much more difficult to make a duplicate card and It has to be in the reader at the time the PIN is entered.

No need to use a pin here anymore with the chip, you just use the chip.

No need to use a pin here anymore with the chip, you just use the chip.
I have the TAP turned off on all my cards, and it's only for purchases up to $100 max I believe. So yes I used the CHIP and PIN. I'm in Canada. Was in the US and they swiped my card and I actually had to SIGN a slip.

Nope. I have several cards with chips for a couple of years now and have not had any problems. The only recent problem I had was with my Paypal debit card which wasn't a chip card. It was used somewhere in Chile. I canceled that card and the new one they sent me has a chip.

I haven't had any problems. But I hate the chip as well. Believe I would rather not have any bank.

The biggest problem isn't that there's a smart card (i.e. chip) or contactless smart card system. These all require some sort of long key and a response that should be near impossible to crack simply by monitoring a one-time transaction which well never be repeated.

The weak point is still that we have the name, credit card number, expiration date, and card verification number printed on the card. Anyone who sees the card and can remember (or even take a photo) of the credit card number, expiration date, and CVV can make an online purchase or encode that to a magnetic strip. You hand that over to someone and they have everything needed to make a purchase.

I don't know if there's any real way around that other than that we stop being able to use credit card numbers to make purchases. I thought there was a push to use personal smart card readers to make online purchases. I thought that the original AMEX BLUE card came with a reader.
see my post above---Germany has fixed that security hole by having an added step for online purchases----make one and it automtically sends an SMS to my phone with a one time use only verification code that I have to add in to a pop up that comes when I try to pay. Take an extra 5 seconds and adds a big layer of security.

DH and I both got this on our newest cards, in the past year or so---no option, it was just what we got.

see my post above---Germany has fixed that security hole by having an added step for online purchases----make one and it automtically sends an SMS to my phone with a one time use only verification code that I have to add in to a pop up that comes when I try to pay. Take an extra 5 seconds and adds a big layer of security.

DH and I both got this on our newest cards, in the past year or so---no option, it was just what we got.
What happens at ATMs, gas stations, brick & mortar stores, etc?

Fortunately, I've just moved to my new payment method...

scrooge-mcduck-998x749.jpg

What happens at ATMs, gas stations, brick & mortar stores, etc?
you use the chip and PIN (except in the US where they tend to not take the PIN and we swipe and sign or it takes the chip without PIN and our bank assures us all liability is on the retailer then).
The SMS code is only for using the CC when the card is not physically present to scan

our credit union is the only financial institution we do business with that has both chip and pin on it's debit and credit cards. it's a pain b/c the readers at stores keep bouncing the cards (when it happens the clerks invariable say 'let me guess, it's an xxx credit union card right?') so it's either try, try and retry or we end up having to use another non pinned chip card.

My daughter's chip debit card was compromised for $28 (two smallish purchases, same day, in stores about 30 miles from where i KNOW she was when the purchases were made (she was at work...and worked as scheduled).

ETA: I think the card was compromised at a gas station shortly before the incidents occurred. She knows, now, not to use the "pay at the pump" feature, but instead go inside and pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter