Have you read your C.C.&R's and are they enforced?

What's the limit? Around here it's a universal 72 hours unless there's some sign posting a different limit. Pretty much every city sets it up that way, and if unincorporated the county has a 72 hour limit regardless of whether it's the burbs or a rural area. However, it rarely gets enforced. We don't have a specific parking enforcement division around here, so the police handle it. Apparently they'll only enforce the limits if there's a complaint by a resident. I've parked in front of my house for over a week and nothing happened. I've seen enforcement once, and that was in the form of a notice on the windshield giving 72 hours from the time of the notice to move. I think one of my neighbors called it in.

I remember visiting some rural part of California and I was curious as to how long I might be able to leave my car parked on the side of the road if I went backpacking or took the bus. I looked up the county code and couldn't find anything other than on specific streets in the main town.
If speaking towards cars it's 48 hours without moving at the city level and 24 hours without moving on the street at the HOA level.

Honestly I don't know that it is enforced all that much (it really probably hasn't been) but I know people complain to the HOA from time to time. Usually the issue gets brought up more (and the HOA will send a reminder in the social networking site they use for most of their communication) in the wintertime because cars parked on the street mean plows (and pick up trucks when used with plow attached) can't treat the roads or plow them as effectively.

If speaking towards cars it's 48 hours without moving at the city level and 24 hours without moving on the street at the HOA level.

Honestly I don't know that it is enforced all that much (it really probably hasn't been) but I know people complain to the HOA from time to time. Usually the issue gets brought up more (and the HOA will send a reminder in the social networking site they use for most of their communication) in the wintertime because cars parked on the street mean plows (and pick up trucks when used with plow attached) can't treat the roads or plow them as effectively.

We don't quite have that problem around here. Mostly it's people who would prefer to park in front of their homes and complain when a vehicle doesn't move. I'm a bit surprised any city would have a 48 hour limit. I also wonder why San Francisco Bay Area counties don't differentiate between rural and suburban areas. There are some roads next to farmland where I really doubt parking for a week will create a problem.

Our CC&R said that parking in the guest parking areas was limited to 24 hours, although I've never really heard of it being enforced. Mostly just complaining at HOA meetings with nothing really being done about it.

What's the limit? Around here it's a universal 72 hours unless there's some sign posting a different limit. Pretty much every city sets it up that way, and if unincorporated the county has a 72 hour limit regardless of whether it's the burbs or a rural area. However, it rarely gets enforced. We don't have a specific parking enforcement division around here, so the police handle it. Apparently they'll only enforce the limits if there's a complaint by a resident. I've parked in front of my house for over a week and nothing happened. I've seen enforcement once, and that was in the form of a notice on the windshield giving 72 hours from the time of the notice to move. I think one of my neighbors called it in.

I remember visiting some rural part of California and I was curious as to how long I might be able to leave my car parked on the side of the road if I went backpacking or took the bus. I looked up the county code and couldn't find anything other than on specific streets in the main town.
The County Ordinance in Sacramento County it is 72 hours. For most of the past 30+ years I have had a car parked in the street in front of my house, but I always made a point of moving it before 72 hours hit. Not hard since there are 3 spots in front of my house. There is an HOA in Gold River where cars can't be on the street or in driveways between 8 pm and 8 am. They have to be in the garage. There was a criminal situation in that community where police wanted to do an overnight stakeout and couldn't because ANY vehicle on the street after 8 pm would draw attention.

Our HOA is a joke... the only thing that they care about is the making sure you pay the HOA fee monthly... We have had 4 or 5 HOA companies in less than 3 years... Each saying how they are going to help us...

The builders has control of the HOA until the build out is like 90% or so completed and sold from what I understand...

Our development is a new neighborhood, almost 3 years old...They are working on the last phase of the development and looks like soon that should start building back there...

So part of the neighborhood is rear load garages, Our home is like this and we love it...with an alley behind the house... there is a huge debate over the trash cans... of all things... we can keep our trash and recycle cans out behind the house because it not in the front of the house viewable on the main roads... So the folks that have front load garages want to leave it the cans out front, and the HOA says Nope, they are viewable from the front of the house...and the main road... the alleys are just for access to the homes with rear load... and our trash in picked up in the alley...

The street have cut out for on street parking...

So here are some of the things we aren't allowed to have or not suppose to do...and for the most part they are just ignored... except the trash can issue... and the fence issue...

No clothes lines - or portable clothes lines... which I know my neighbor across the alley has put up a few times... and I could careless...
No bird houses or bird baths - which lots of people have in their yards
No political signs
No religious signs - Which at Easter I put out my Easter flag and it has a cross on it...and at Christmas of course
No white landscape rocks... - which several neighbors have just put in....
There must be 2 trees in the front yard, both flowering.. so we have a Magnolia and a Crepe Myrtle tree... they lady down the street, put in 2 evergreens... and they are still there 2 years later...
No in ground gardening... so everyone is building above ground garden boxes... and a few are growing herbs in the ground
Limit of 2 small or 1 large blow up holiday decorations... which the lady at the end of the street on the corner has like 10 or more every holiday...
No fruit trees... which I know several neighbor have put in orange trees...
No Boat or RV parked from more than 48 hours... Which we have a boat, and we only have left it over night... during Christmas several neighbors had land yachts parked in front of their house for a week to 10 days, with parents visiting for the holidays...
No Semi, Box trucks, or Moving Vans sized vehicles, larger or over-sized vans - for more than 24 hours... - not unless its a handicap van... long story on this..
No flag poles... you can have a flag pole attached to your house but not a flag pole in the yard... one guy has a flag pole in the ground, its really just as tall as the top of the roof, and has a normal size American flag and a Marine flag... no big deal... they have permission from one of the first HOA to put it in... so what is the problem... the guy across the street is a nut job... claiming it is a political statement.. Honestly....
Only certain type of fences and heights are allowed, which they are putting into effect, several of the neighbors are having to replace their fences...
All pets must be on a leash, and you must clean up after your pets... which is common in most areas...
Then a list of separate rules for the playground, gym, pool and club house...
And the list goes on and on...and on and on...

Last edited:

We don't quite have that problem around here. Mostly it's people who would prefer to park in front of their homes and complain when a vehicle doesn't move. I'm a bit surprised any city would have a 48 hour limit. I also wonder why San Francisco Bay Area counties don't differentiate between rural and suburban areas. There are some roads next to farmland where I really doubt parking for a week will create a problem.

Our CC&R said that parking in the guest parking areas was limited to 24 hours, although I've never really heard of it being enforced. Mostly just complaining at HOA meetings with nothing really being done about it.
I can think of a lot of places where parking for longer wouldn't create an issue most times.

The wording is: "Any unoccupied motor vehicle left parked continuously upon any street of the city or city-owned parking lot for forty-eight (48) hours or more is declared to be a public nuisance. It shall be the duty of the Police Chief to cause such motor vehicle to be removed and impounded."

I honestly don't think I've seen any vehicle in the neighborhood get removed or impounded by the police in the neighborhood at least but it's possible that on the HOA level someone has at least gotten a fine.

Our HOA is a joke... the only thing that they care about is the making sure you pay the HOA fee monthly... We have had 4 or 5 HOA companies in less than 3 years... Each saying how they are going to help us...

The builders has control of the HOA until the build out is like 90% or so completed and sold from what I understand...

Our development is a new neighborhood, almost 3 years old...They are working on the last phase of the development and looks like soon that should start building back there...

So part of the neighborhood is rear load garages, Our home is like this and we love it...with an alley behind the house... there is a huge debate over the trash cans... of all things... we can keep our trash and recycle cans out behind the house because it not in the front of the house viewable on the main roads... So the folks that have front load garages want to leave it the cans out front, and the HOA says Nope, they are viewable from the front of the house...and the main road... the alleys are just for access to the homes with rear load... and our trash in picked up in the alley...

The street have cut out for on street parking...

So here are some of the things we aren't allowed to have of must have...and for the most part they are just ignored... except the trash can issue... and the fence issue...

No clothes lines - or portable clothes lines... which I know my neighbor across the alley has put up a few times... and I could careless...
No bird houses or bird baths - which lots of people have in their yards
No political signs
No religious signs - Which at Easter I put out my Easter flag and it has a cross on it...and at Christmas of course
No white landscape rocks... - which several neighbors have just put in....
There must be 2 trees in the front yard, both flowering.. so we have a Magnolia and a Crepe Myrtle tree... they lady down the street, put in 2 evergreens... and they are still there 2 years later...
No in ground gardening... so everyone is building above ground garden boxes... and a few are growing herbs in the ground
Limit of 2 small or 1 large blow up holiday decorations... which the lady at the end of the street on the corner has like 10 or more every holiday...
No fruit trees... which I know several neighbor have put in orange trees...
No Boat or RV parked from more than 48 hours... Which we have a boat, and we only have left it over night... during Christmas several neighbors had land yachts parked in front of their house for a week to 10 days, with parents visiting for the holidays...
No Semi, Box trucks, or Moving Vans sized vehicles, larger or over-sized vans - for more than 24 hours... - not unless its a handicap van... long story on this..
No flag poles... you can have a flag pole attached to your house but not a flag pole in the yard... one guy has a flag pole in the ground, its really just as tall as the top of the roof, and has a normal size American flag and a Marine flag... no big deal... they have permission from one of the first HOA to put it in... so what is the problem... the guy across the street is a nut job... claiming it is a political statement.. Honestly....
Only certain type of fences and heights are allowed, which they are putting into effect, several of the neighbors are having to replace their fences...
All pets must be on a leash, and you must clean up after your pets... which is common in most areas...
Then a list of separate rules for the playground, gym, pool and club house...
And the list goes on and on...and on and on...
What about religious statues? Many homes here have “the lady of the lawn,” aka Mary.

I can think of a lot of places where parking for longer wouldn't create an issue most times.

The wording is: "Any unoccupied motor vehicle left parked continuously upon any street of the city or city-owned parking lot for forty-eight (48) hours or more is declared to be a public nuisance. It shall be the duty of the Police Chief to cause such motor vehicle to be removed and impounded."

I honestly don't think I've seen any vehicle in the neighborhood get removed or impounded by the police in the neighborhood at least but it's possible that on the HOA level someone has at least gotten a fine.

I noted the almost universal 72 hours around here whether it's city or county. But then how they do that is another matter. This is the city of Alameda.

Reasons to mark a vehicle abandoned
A vehicle can be marked abandoned for two reasons: The Alameda Police Department receives a call reporting the vehicle as abandoned or stored on the street longer than 72 hours, or if an Officer observes the vehicle as such.​
Officers look for the following criteria when marking a vehicle: cobwebs, leaves, debris around the tires, debris on the vehicle, dirt, low tires, and missing and/or broken vehicle parts. Even if a vehicle is parked in front of the owner’s residence, registered and insured, the vehicle can still be considered abandoned or stored if it’s been parked in excess of 72 hours without being driven.​
The Alameda Police Department will place an orange courtesy notice on the vehicle that explains the Alameda Municipal Code section. In most cases, the owner will be given 72 hours to either remove the vehicle from the street or drive it a minimum of one mile. The marking officer will return no sooner than 3 days to determine if the owner has complied.​
If at the time, the vehicle has not been driven or moved, it will be towed and cited. The vehicle cannot be moved a few feet or across the street just to avoid the tow. The vehicle must be completely removed or actually driven for the officer to determine that it’s not just being stored on the street. The odometer will be checked and tires marked for proof of compliance.​

In reality, this means a likely 144 hours before a vehicle gets towed. This is a different procedure than in my jurisdiction, where I've seen chalk marks on the tires along with a courtesy note. But someone needs to complain. I remember on a public street in front of my kid's school there was one car that was clearly there for months and never moved. There were leaves and pine needles all over the car and piled underneath the tires.

Alameda County has a similar ordinance.

10.04.090 - Use of streets for the storage of vehicles prohibited.​
It is unlawful for any person who owns or has possession, custody or control of any vehicle to park such vehicle upon any county highway for more than a period of seventy-two (72) consecutive hours and any officer mentioned in Section 22651 of the Vehicle Code may remove such a vehicle from a highway.​

The County Ordinance in Sacramento County it is 72 hours. For most of the past 30+ years I have had a car parked in the street in front of my house, but I always made a point of moving it before 72 hours hit. Not hard since there are 3 spots in front of my house. There is an HOA in Gold River where cars can't be on the street or in driveways between 8 pm and 8 am. They have to be in the garage. There was a criminal situation in that community where police wanted to do an overnight stakeout and couldn't because ANY vehicle on the street after 8 pm would draw attention.

I've almost never seen it be an issue. However, once I was at a police clerk (needed to get a release for something) and the woman ahead of me was paying her fee to get her car back after a 72 hour parking tow. That was the first time I'd heard of it. I had two cars and I literally parked my older car on the street for weeks but never got a notice or a tow. I guess nobody complained about it.

I've gotten more parking disputes from who gets to park on the street. I typically park in front of my house (I've got a 1-1/2 car garage and my wife's car get's the garage) but once I couldn't and parked elsewhere in front of my neighbor's house. He came to my house asking me to move it because he wanted to park his car there, even though there were other space available. Even though it was a public street, to him it was his space. I didn't really want to argue with him, and by that time the cars parked in front of my house had moved.

When I was living part time in Folsom working a contract job, it got really crazy. I didn't have a spot in the garage so I'd park on the street. One of the guys living in the house had two cars and one stayed on the street for ages. Then there was this strip between two driveways that could normally accommodate two cars. If I got there early enough I'd park there and leave enough room for another car to park behind me. But if I didn't get there early enough I'd find the same car parked right down the middle of that space leaving no room to park without blocking a driveway. I never complained per se, but once I got there, felt a little passive aggressive, and parked my car down the middle of that space. A half hour later someone rings the doorbell and is screaming about not being able to park in the space. I said I didn't do anything that she didn't already do and then she kind of calmed down and said she'd leave space there in the future. But a few days later I found she'd parked down the middle again. Sigh.

I do wish someone would do something about one street in my neighborhood. There seem to be a lot of people living in a house where there's been construction going on for years. These are narrow streets but there are cars parked on both sides of the street, some construction vehicles, and a lot of construction debris and materials (like tarps and removed drywall) in the street. Occasionally it's gotten to the point where two cars go through that chokepoint can't doing anything unless one driver backs up.

I've almost never seen it be an issue. However, once I was at a police clerk (needed to get a release for something) and the woman ahead of me was paying her fee to get her car back after a 72 hour parking tow. That was the first time I'd heard of it. I had two cars and I literally parked my older car on the street for weeks but never got a notice or a tow. I guess nobody complained about it.

I've gotten more parking disputes from who gets to park on the street. I typically park in front of my house (I've got a 1-1/2 car garage and my wife's car get's the garage) but once I couldn't and parked elsewhere in front of my neighbor's house. He came to my house asking me to move it because he wanted to park his car there, even though there were other space available. Even though it was a public street, to him it was his space. I didn't really want to argue with him, and by that time the cars parked in front of my house had moved.

When I was living part time in Folsom working a contract job, it got really crazy. I didn't have a spot in the garage so I'd park on the street. One of the guys living in the house had two cars and one stayed on the street for ages. Then there was this strip between two driveways that could normally accommodate two cars. If I got there early enough I'd park there and leave enough room for another car to park behind me. But if I didn't get there early enough I'd find the same car parked right down the middle of that space leaving no room to park without blocking a driveway. I never complained per se, but once I got there, felt a little passive aggressive, and parked my car down the middle of that space. A half hour later someone rings the doorbell and is screaming about not being able to park in the space. I said I didn't do anything that she didn't already do and then she kind of calmed down and said she'd leave space there in the future. But a few days later I found she'd parked down the middle again. Sigh.

I do wish someone would do something about one street in my neighborhood. There seem to be a lot of people living in a house where there's been construction going on for years. These are narrow streets but there are cars parked on both sides of the street, some construction vehicles, and a lot of construction debris and materials (like tarps and removed drywall) in the street. Occasionally it's gotten to the point where two cars go through that chokepoint can't doing anything unless one driver backs up.
They cite after 72 hours here. Never seen a car towed. They come by, put a warning on cars, come back if it's still there and cite them.
People one house down and across have 5 in their house, mom, dad and 3 kids, and currently have 7 cars, Unfortunately they have a fire hydrant in their yard so only one car can legally park in front of their house. They have a 2 car garage, but no cars in it, just stuff. But they have RV access so with juggling they COULD get all 7 cars parked in the driveway and RV access but they don't.
My only VERY petty complaint about parking on my street is that no matter what house a service truck, house cleaner, gardener, or pool cleaning is going to, they all like to park in front of my house, and they park in a manner that takes up two of the three spots in front of my house. Oh, and in almost every instance, they could have parked in front of the house they are working at.

Ours are over 40 years old. The "HOA" is a loosely termed group that meets once a year, dues and participation are not mandatory. It mostly describes minimum lot sizes and setbacks from the road. It's really outdated and I'm pretty sure all the contacts listed in it are dead.

The HOA president sent out a copy last summer - "just to make sure everyone knows the rules." There is a section in there that states that all buildings must be approved by the HOA and that only 1 inhabitable building is allowed per lot. Our neighbor had just finished building a second house on his property for his in-laws. Someone must have complained because after that he added a roof over the driveway between the two houses and turned it into 1 big dog-trot style house.

They cite after 72 hours here. Never seen a car towed. They come by, put a warning on cars, come back if it's still there and cite them.
People one house down and across have 5 in their house, mom, dad and 3 kids, and currently have 7 cars, Unfortunately they have a fire hydrant in their yard so only one car can legally park in front of their house. They have a 2 car garage, but no cars in it, just stuff. But they have RV access so with juggling they COULD get all 7 cars parked in the driveway and RV access but they don't.
My only VERY petty complaint about parking on my street is that no matter what house a service truck, house cleaner, gardener, or pool cleaning is going to, they all like to park in front of my house, and they park in a manner that takes up two of the three spots in front of my house. Oh, and in almost every instance, they could have parked in front of the house they are working at.
I've had weird parking requests. The same neighbor parks a boat. Sometimes it's in the driveway and at other times it's partially on the street. We living in a dead end and the end can accommodate 5 -6 cars parked head on into the end, but with some ability to partially park on his property and on the street. I think only he or his guests could do that. But I parked there once and he wanted me to move.

Most enforcement agencies here say it's a tow and citation.

However, a lot of parking enforcement is being suspended these days outside of maybe street sweeping hours. Almost all cities with parking meters have made them free now. Most aren't enforcing 72 hour limits right now.

However, a lot of parking enforcement is being suspended these days outside of maybe street sweeping hours. Almost all cities with parking meters have made them free now. Most aren't enforcing 72 hour limits right now.
Not here. We're paying for the Sacramento Kings Arena with parking meter revenue. And in the County, the Parking Enforcement makes way too much money to close down

We are in the city so the city guidelines take care of most things-. Ours are basically house size minimum & maximum. Must have at least a double garage max is 4 car

Not here. We're paying for the Sacramento Kings Arena with parking meter revenue. And in the County, the Parking Enforcement makes way too much money to close down

They've stopped parking enforcement in Berkeley and Oakland. The meters have been all programmed to display that parking is free.

https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_Works/Transportation/Parking_Enforcement___Restrictions.aspx
ddbc6ac606d1f949eb3c4d7ccadad83c.jpg.max800.jpg

San Francisco however hasn't suspended parking enforcement. I was reading articles mentioning that parking meter enforcement would be active on Memorial Day because it's not a meter holiday there (they have a very limited set of meter holidays). However, I believe they don't enforce residential parking on most holidays.

Strangely enough, I haven't left the East Bay since mid-March.

What about religious statues? Many homes here have “the lady of the lawn,” aka Mary.

We have several people that have Angles, or Mary, One family has the Christ the Redeemer statue... it's like in the style of the one on the Mountain in Brazil... with Christ arms out stretched. The neighbor across the street has a wreath with a cross on it on the front door... I have also seen signed in several neighbors yards... "Faith above Fear" or "Faith over Fear".

I've always hated HOA's but sure would be nice if we had one right now.
Many people "hate" the thought of HOAs, but don't see how they could benefit from them. However, just like our local, state, and federal leadership, HOAs need to be well run, and well regulated by the residents.

My parents lived in a condo with strange HOA rules - they otherwise loved living there. They had a rule, no flags attached to the building, so my Dad put up a post in the yard, painted it the same color as the building (also per HOA rules), then attached the flag to that. It was a no-religious holiday flag, normal size, and in their back yard. You would have to be walking on the path behind the building to even see it. You could hear the gears grinding on the HOA rules purists, but, by the rules, it was allowed.

Many people "hate" the thought of HOAs, but don't see how they could benefit from them. However, just like our local, state, and federal leadership, HOAs need to be well run, and well regulated by the residents.
Just like lawyers - everyone hates them, until you need one. I have one of those now, i suppose instead of the HOA. It's nice to have someone on our side, even if she does charge us by the minute.

My parents lived in a condo with strange HOA rules - they otherwise loved living there.
Former co-worker had one of those strange situations.
He got hit with a $1,000 penalty from the HOA for not paying a $250 fee on time. He pointed out that the first notice he got of the fee not being paid was after the penalty was levied. He also pointed out the fee was due before he even bought his place so he didn't owe it, the previous owner did. HOA said you're the owner now, pay the fee and the penalty.
Here is the odd point. The penalties are assessed by the property management firm and the penalties go to that firm, not the HOA. That seems to be a conflict of interest.
Guy consults an attorney who says his options are:
1) Take the HOA to court at an estimated cost of $5,000.
2) Take previous owner and the title company to court at an estimated cost of $10,000
3) Suck it up and pay the $1,000, which was the attorney's recommendation.

Guy sold place and rented for a year before finding a place he liked that did NOT have an HOA

Former co-worker had one of those strange situations.
He got hit with a $1,000 penalty from the HOA for not paying a $250 fee on time. He pointed out that the first notice he got of the fee not being paid was after the penalty was levied. He also pointed out the fee was due before he even bought his place so he didn't owe it, the previous owner did. HOA said you're the owner now, pay the fee and the penalty.
Here is the odd point. The penalties are assessed by the property management firm and the penalties go to that firm, not the HOA. That seems to be a conflict of interest.
Guy consults an attorney who says his options are:
1) Take the HOA to court at an estimated cost of $5,000.
2) Take previous owner and the title company to court at an estimated cost of $10,000
3) Suck it up and pay the $1,000, which was the attorney's recommendation.

Guy sold place and rented for a year before finding a place he liked that did NOT have an HOA

My HOA is self-managed. While no management company will touch us (too small) and we even had a difficult time finding a bank that would host an HOA account (we had one that was good until they changed their policies and required high fees without minimum deposits). But so far we don't go at each other by installing high fees. It's actually direct deposit now. I remember back when we were paying, the late fee (which we set ourselves) was $10. But for the most part we all know each other and don't go after each other like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter