• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you sailed with a diabetic child?

moochinkassarole

Mouseketeer
Kass was just diagnosed with diabetes on Christmas Eve. We are sailing Dec. 13, 2003 and would lke to know if anyone has traveled with kids with diabetes. Does anyone know if the staff at the Oceaneer's Club is trained? Should I leave a glucometer with the staff along with a glucogun? Do you meet up with the kids to check their numbers before eating lunch or dinner? Is the staff trained to do check numbers? Will I have to meet up with Kass when he needs a shot? Does anyone have good advice to give to me? As you can see, I'm a bundle of questions and still have tons more.
Kitty
ps. Kass will be 7 when we sail

Hi!
I don't have any first hand knowledge about traveling with a child with diabetes. I do have some "guesses". ;)
I'd guess you will need to be the one to check her blood sugar. I'm not sure if the clubs have the monitors or not. You may want to check on that. And, you most likely will need to give the insulin. I don't think the counselors can give medicine. The only other thing I can think of is, how does she handle it at school? A year from now, she may be quite competent by then. You will learn a lot too!

As I said. this is all guessing. Someone else may know the real answer. :o

Good luck!!!!

Sara

Kitty,
I am 32 years old and have been diabetic since I was 6. I really doubt anyone in the Oceaneer's Club would test blood sugars or give insulin. You will have to take care of that. I am sure they would page you when it is time for him to eat and you can come down and check him and give him his shot. I would just be sure that they know his condition and let them know if he starts acting "strange" to give him a little juice. Don't worry about things, by December you will be a pro at taking care of this and so will he. Have a fun trip.
Kerianne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter