Have you used a DisneyBand+ ?

warrenz1963

Mouseketeer
My ordering window just opened for an upcoming cruise, and I'm still on the fence about getting a DisneyBand+. I know what they can and cannot do. I'm hoping to hear from folks who have already used one on a cruise: was it worth it to you? How much did you use it?

Your signature is hilarious - intensive psychotherapy. Hope that wasn’t the actual circumstances.

I bought one for a cruise next week. But I have started using a small, lightweight cross body purse to carry phone and reading glasses while cruising so I don’t think the band is going to be a smart purchase. The cabin door will open if the card is in the outer pocket. And I don’t need a card for much else - just getting off/on the ship.

I planned on wearing a watch on one wrist; this means both wrists are shackled.

If doing it again, I would just save the $25. Anything other than solid colors are $10 more.

We bought them for our teens. The plain ones that were ten dollars cheaper. We thought they might like them and didn’t want them to feel left out if other kids their age have them. Or at least I didn’t. Dh rolled his eyes at me and said I can’t believe you are buying that ____. We sailed princess recently and their medallions are free and do a hell of a lot more than the magicband +, so— well, annoying. Dh and I will use key cards.

It worked great for opening the room. It's a bit awkward to use to pay for items because you have to take it off and hand it to the cashier in most cases. Mine fell off a few times on a previous trip. I used the securing loops from amazon. They worked great for the whole family. As far as buzzing and lighting up I wasn't impressed and somewhat annoyed. It went off over and over in hyperspace. Our 11 year old twins preferred the old school lanyard and key card. I would get it again for the convenience of leaving the room without having to put my card in a pocket...that may not exist in a bathing suit.

Your signature is hilarious - intensive psychotherapy. Hope that wasn’t the actual circumstances.

I bought one for a cruise next week. But I have started using a small, lightweight cross body purse to carry phone and reading glasses while cruising so I don’t think the band is going to be a smart purchase. The cabin door will open if the card is in the outer pocket. And I don’t need a card for much else - just getting off/on the ship.

I planned on wearing a watch on one wrist; this means both wrists are shackled.

If doing it again, I would just save the $25. Anything other than solid colors are $10 more.
Thanks for the good info! And no, psychotherapy after the DCP did not happen. LOL

We were just on the Fantasy this month and I preferred having the band. I like not having to pull out a card (I'm not a lanyard person) for room access and purchases. I found it much more convenient to use the band. I also liked it better for my son since he is at an age that he could check himself in/out of Edge so it was nice not having to worry about him losing his KTTW card. Just make sure to take it off at Castaway Cay...my son and many other kids lost theirs the last day of our cruise. Pretty sure Pelican Plunge was the culprit!

We were on the first fantasy cruise to use it so some of my comments may be related to the fact the crew was getting use to it.

For bar service, I used my card. The bar cast members told me it was hard for them to distinguish which band when to which customer quickly.

For everything else I loved my DisneyBand+

My ordering window just opened for an upcoming cruise, and I'm still on the fence about getting a DisneyBand+. I know what they can and cannot do. I'm hoping to hear from folks who have already used one on a cruise: was it worth it to you? How much did you use it?
Hi there, we just got back and pondered purchase prior as well. I’m actually glad we did. The only place it could not be used was on CC shops and getting off/on the boat. Otherwise, it was great to just open room doors or buy something on board. Felt no different than an Apple Watch. During certain aspects of deck shows it goes off with lighting. I didn’t miss having to wear the lanyard around or keep track of it. Lanyards stayed put until CC. So we too had decided NOT to get them but prior to cruise, decided to pull the trigger. Now, we only had issues getting them connected once on board but come to find out that 2 in our party had received defected bands so they exchanged them on the ship and helped us connect. Another in our party was able to connect with no issues. If you plan to cruise again, it may come in handy as we definately have them set aside for the next sailing. We purchased 2 of the solid colors (cheaper) and 1 with a design.
To add, we had no issues in stores - didn’t have to take them off or anything. So my review would be - easy peasy; really only used it for purchases and getting in the room. Otherwise, there’s no need to use it. I can’t relate to younger kids clubs but for the teen club, they had to register and a marker/tag was added to the band which can slide right off but showed they had registered so nice visibility for the teen club.

Also, just to add (sorry, I know you didn’t ask) I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the navigator and info on the phone as I wanted to disconnect but I didn’t mind it. Not to mention it’s all on the TV.

Either way, enjoy! Band or no band.

Hi there, we just got back and pondered purchase prior as well. I’m actually glad we did. The only place it could not be used was on CC shops and getting off/on the boat. Otherwise, it was great to just open room doors or buy something on board. Felt no different than an Apple Watch. During certain aspects of deck shows it goes off with lighting. I didn’t miss having to wear the lanyard around or keep track of it. Lanyards stayed put until CC. So we too had decided NOT to get them but prior to cruise, decided to pull the trigger. Now, we only had issues getting them connected once on board but come to find out that 2 in our party had received defected bands so they exchanged them on the ship and helped us connect. Another in our party was able to connect with no issues. If you plan to cruise again, it may come in handy as we definately have them set aside for the next sailing. We purchased 2 of the solid colors (cheaper) and 1 with a design.
To add, we had no issues in stores - didn’t have to take them off or anything. So my review would be - easy peasy; really only used it for purchases and getting in the room. Otherwise, there’s no need to use it. I can’t relate to younger kids clubs but for the teen club, they had to register and a marker/tag was added to the band which can slide right off but showed they had registered so nice visibility for the teen club.

Also, just to add (sorry, I know you didn’t ask) I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the navigator and info on the phone as I wanted to disconnect but I didn’t mind it. Not to mention it’s all on the TV.

Either way, enjoy! Band or no band.
Thank you so much for all the info! :)

Anyone think the Dream will have Magic Bands this Fall, once she comes back from Europe? We are on an early October cruise out of NYC and was curious.

MJ

What additional functionality do Princess's Medallions have? I'm curious!
If you go to their website it explains all the features.

One of the many interesting features is if you’re dealing with a crew member at a desk, bar or lounge who’s in front of a PC or if they’re walking around and have a smart device, they know who you are before you say a word.

There are large location display screens everywhere. When you stand in front of one your location shows up on the screen then you can select where you want to go and it shows you how to get there.

The phone ap shows where the other members of your party are and how to get there. They can opt out though,

When you get close to your cabin door your photo appears on a small display next to the door and it unlocks automatically.

It’s kinda spooky because the system knows where you are at all times as long as you’re wearing the medallion. If that’s a problem I suspect you can opt out.

I’ve just scratched the surface. It does everything the Disney bands do as well.

What additional functionality do Princess's Medallions have? I'm curious!
You can locate anyone in your party on the ship. You can do this on screens throughout the ship. Or with your app. At first we weren’t too excited about this lol. We like to “hide” from our kids, but we found we used it all the time. And how great for safety with kids. It also opens your door as you approach your cabin. Completely hands free. I didn’t think I would like that either, but I loved it. You have a little screen near your cabin door that has info on it. I cannot even remember what it says exactly. But I remember looking at it all the time. As you approach a bar, staff greets you, because your name and photo has already appeared on their screen. They know what drinks you order. You can order things on the ship anywhere and have it brought to you. As you approach the dining room, staff greets you and they know all your preferences. Same with all other services. It’s also very sleek looking and unobtrusive, not like Disney’s bulky plastic magic bands which they just made bigger with the + version. And it’s FREE. Disney rips people off like crazy with the bands. There is also a very tasteful line of jewelry you can buy for your medalian if you want. I thought I might be tempted by this, but I found I really liked the free landyard they supplied. I am not a tech person, and I hate Disney tech, I find Disney tech makes my life more difficult, but I really loved the medallion tech. It was actually helpful, useful technology. It probably has other uses that are not coming to mind right now. 😊
I just thought of something else. You don’t have to touch it against anything, just wear it. So when you’re getting on and off at ports, you just walk through the checkpoint. The staff is monitoring screens and waves you through.

Last edited:
Anyone think the Dream will have Magic Bands this Fall, once she comes back from Europe? We are on an early October cruise out of NYC and was curious.

MJ
I am thinking Dream will! Or maybe I'm hoping because I want it for the sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter