Haven't been to Disneyland in 2 years, anything new that I should be aware of?

CableKC

DIS Veteran
The last time I went to DL was right at the end of "The Before Times" in January 2020.

We're planning to go soon but I'm wondering whether there is anything new that I should be concerned about when it comes to everything that has changed at Disneyland.

I have been reading about the new Disney Genie + "pay" feature and the whole "Lightning Lanes" for the more popular rides.

- It sounds like there are some rides that are still shutdown.
- Is it that FastPass no longer exists?
- Are the RotR and the RSR rides still "First Come First Serve" rides?

Anything else I should know about for a long time veteran visitor of the Park that hasn't been there for 2 years?

I usually come prepared cuz I know what to expect and can plan around it. But with the changes that the Park has made, I don't want to get caught off guard on something unexpected.

Things that are currently different:
  • You must have both a ticket and park reservation to enter (can book park reservations 120 days out, 90 days if passholder)
  • Park hopping is only allowed after 1 pm (you reserve which park you want to start in)
  • Character greetings are socially distanced (no hugs, no autographs)
  • Masks currently required indoors (negative COVID test and/or vaccination strongly recommended but not required/checked)
  • No Fastpasses at all
  • Genie+ is a service you can pay for ($20 per person/per day) that allows you to book certain rides on the app and use the lightning lane (similar to MaxPass). You are limited to one turn on each ride. It includes the PhotoPass.
  • RotR, Web Slingers and RSR are not on Genie+ You can pay for an "Individual Lightning Lane" on these and the prices varies by day ($12 to $20 per person so far). You can also ride standby.
  • Mobile order may be more important than the before times. Some locations were mobile order only when we went in the summer.
  • Menus across the park are still fairly limited. Not all restraunts have re-opened yet.
  • Sit down reservations are more scarce. They open 60 days in advance at 3 a.m. PST (except when they don't). Places like Blue Bayou and Oga's go quick.
  • Fireworks and parades have returned (depending on when you go), but Fantasmic and World of Color have not (possibly returning late spring).
  • Most rides have re-opened. I know the submarines haven't, maybe a few others.
  • Bippity Boppity Botique is only open for shopping (no hairstyling)
  • No early entry for resort stays or 3-day tickets currently.
  • I'm unclear about parking. I know the trams weren't running for a long while but may have started again. If you are parking be sure to read up on the latest.

Things that are currently different:
  • You must have both a ticket and park reservation to enter (can book park reservations 120 days out, 90 days if passholder)
  • Park hopping is only allowed after 1 pm (you reserve which park you want to start in)
  • Character greetings are socially distanced (no hugs, no autographs)
  • Masks currently required indoors (negative COVID test and/or vaccination strongly recommended but not required/checked)
  • No Fastpasses at all
  • Genie+ is a service you can pay for ($20 per person/per day) that allows you to book certain rides on the app and use the lightning lane (similar to MaxPass). You are limited to one turn on each ride. It includes the PhotoPass.
  • RotR, Web Slingers and RSR are not on Genie+ You can pay for an "Individual Lightning Lane" on these and the prices varies by day ($12 to $20 per person so far). You can also ride standby.
  • Mobile order may be more important than the before times. Some locations were mobile order only when we went in the summer.
  • Menus across the park are still fairly limited. Not all restraunts have re-opened yet.
  • Sit down reservations are more scarce. They open 60 days in advance at 3 a.m. PST (except when they don't). Places like Blue Bayou and Oga's go quick.
  • Fireworks and parades have returned (depending on when you go), but Fantasmic and World of Color have not (possibly returning late spring).
  • Most rides have re-opened. I know the submarines haven't, maybe a few others.
  • Bippity Boppity Botique is only open for shopping (no hairstyling)
  • No early entry for resort stays or 3-day tickets currently.
  • I'm unclear about parking. I know the trams weren't running for a long while but may have started again. If you are parking be sure to read up on the latest.
Thanks shosh1530 for the useful information. The main difference is no Fastpass but Genie+ ( which really isn't all that expensive when compared to the similar Universal line skipping pay service ). I will have to read more about the Genie + features and how to use it....especially how to purchase it and add it to my existing tickets. But many of what you mention is similar to what I experienced at Disneyworld over the summer ( pre Genie + implementation ).

I knew you had to do park reservations but for some reason didn’t realize park hopping would be similar - I wonder if it will change by November when we finally go back because it may not be worth the park hoppers (I wonder if we could downgrade to single day tickets before our trip is fully paid off)

I knew you had to do park reservations but for some reason didn’t realize park hopping would be similar - I wonder if it will change by November when we finally go back because it may not be worth the park hoppers (I wonder if we could downgrade to single day tickets before our trip is fully paid off)

One thing to clarify with the park hopping - yes it's after 1pm, but you MUST tap into your reserved park first. You can't just reserve DL, not tap in, then go to DCA at 1 to hop. You'll be sent over to the DL side to tap in. (I realize it's not AS big of a deal at DL because of proximity, but I've read reports on the WDW side where a group was unable to get everyone into the park where they had a dinner ADR because one person in the party didn't feel like doing parks earlier and had not tapped into the reserved park - and at WDW that's a hike to go over to another park just to tap in.)

One thing to clarify with the park hopping - yes it's after 1pm, but you MUST tap into your reserved park first. You can't just reserve DL, not tap in, then go to DCA at 1 to hop. You'll be sent over to the DL side to tap in. (I realize it's not AS big of a deal at DL because of proximity, but I've read reports on the WDW side where a group was unable to get everyone into the park where they had a dinner ADR because one person in the party didn't feel like doing parks earlier and had not tapped into the reserved park - and at WDW that's a hike to go over to another park just to tap in.)

This is not true. If you arrive after 1pm and you have a park hopper you can enter either park.

Are you really surprised? We all know Disneyland is better than WDW. 😉

I've only been to DL once and that was 10.5 years ago. I'm excited to visit in February, but WDW - and particularly DAK - will always be home.

I'm trying to use parts of this for planning, but honestly half the time it comes off like the DL people would rather no one from "outside" come and are trying to make it sound as miserable as possible to keep us away. Or maybe I'm just reading things weird.

I've only been to DL once and that was 10.5 years ago. I'm excited to visit in February, but WDW - and particularly DAK - will always be home.

I'm trying to use parts of this for planning, but honestly half the time it comes off like the DL people would rather no one from "outside" come and are trying to make it sound as miserable as possible to keep us away. Or maybe I'm just reading things weird.

You're reading things weird. I love WDW. I even got married there. I just live local to Disneyland now and have spent way more time here than WDW, cumulatively. Disneyland operates very differently than WDW, and from my direct comparisons, better in many respects. Prior to the pandemic, I was at WDW every year for at least a week, so I feel qualified to make these comparisons. Since reopening, WDW has had a lot of questionable practices. And yeah, Disneyland has had its stumbles as well, but overall I think DL is putting out a better experience RIGHT NOW. I guess you can decide for yourself when you come!

My comment was just a bit of tongue in cheek ribbing.

Hmmmmmm… I didn’t realize the park hopping rules might be different for ticket holders versus Magic Keys.

I honestly don't know. I haven't looked into it at all. I just know the rules that pertain to us. I wouldn't imagine day ticket holders would be more restricted than MK holders, though.

I get what you are saying. I grew up going to DL from Texas and it will always be my favorite, but I've been told WDW is superior so many times (not online, just by people around here), I would never try to convince or belittle someone for their personal opinion. Although DL will always be my home, we love all the parks! We got to stay at AKL once (for just a night or two) and it was amazing!

I checked on the DL site about Park Hopping and here is what it says:

"Guests who purchase or have a Park Hopper ticket and an appropriate park reservation may cross over and switch between parks on the same day beginning at 1:00 PM. Please check the Park Hours calendar and the Disneyland app for the most up-to-date Park Hopper hours, as they could start earlier at a later date, depending on the day and park. Guests with Park Hopper tickets must make a park reservation for the first park they plan to visit AND enter that first park prior to visiting the other park. At this time, a park reservation is not required after the first park; however, reservation requirements are subject to change. Please note that the ability to visit the other park will be subject to that park’s capacity limitations."

So it does indicate that you need to tap into your reserved park first. I don't live in CA so I haven't looked at the Keys but at least under their Park Tickets page this is what it says about hopping.

As a newer member around these parts, I almost feel like reading posts on here is very, uhh, your mileage may vary. Lots of complainers (and sure, some compalints are very valid) and they sort of drown out the positive things as well. I've taken two trips to Disneyland since they re-opened in 2021 and had a wonderful time both times and came away with no complaints. That's not to invalidate those who had struggles at all. I'm just saying not everyone's experiences are the same and I feel like in general, in life, people are more apt to be vocal about their complaints rather than their praise.

As for WDW vs. DLR, there is definitely a bit of a rivalry, especially when you grow up near (or in my case, just a state away) from one park or the other. I am EXTREMELY loyal to DLR because it's my home park. I've actually only been to WDW once, many many many many many years ago (as in Animal Kingdom didn't even exist then, because I am so old), and while we enjoyed aspects of it, we were constantly like, "Disneyland is better!" because that's the park we know and love best.

As a newer member around these parts, I almost feel like reading posts on here is very, uhh, your mileage may vary. Lots of complainers (and sure, some compalints are very valid) and they sort of drown out the positive things as well. I've taken two trips to Disneyland since they re-opened in 2021 and had a wonderful time both times and came away with no complaints. That's not to invalidate those who had struggles at all. I'm just saying not everyone's experiences are the same and I feel like in general, in life, people are more apt to be vocal about their complaints rather than their praise.

As for WDW vs. DLR, there is definitely a bit of a rivalry, especially when you grow up near (or in my case, just a state away) from one park or the other. I am EXTREMELY loyal to DLR because it's my home park. I've actually only been to WDW once, many many many many many years ago (as in Animal Kingdom didn't even exist then, because I am so old), and while we enjoyed aspects of it, we were constantly like, "Disneyland is better!" because that's the park we know and love best.

Thank you!

I checked on the DL site about Park Hopping and here is what it says:

"Guests who purchase or have a Park Hopper ticket and an appropriate park reservation may cross over and switch between parks on the same day beginning at 1:00 PM. Please check the Park Hours calendar and the Disneyland app for the most up-to-date Park Hopper hours, as they could start earlier at a later date, depending on the day and park. Guests with Park Hopper tickets must make a park reservation for the first park they plan to visit AND enter that first park prior to visiting the other park. At this time, a park reservation is not required after the first park; however, reservation requirements are subject to change. Please note that the ability to visit the other park will be subject to that park’s capacity limitations."

So it does indicate that you need to tap into your reserved park first. I don't live in CA so I haven't looked at the Keys but at least under their Park Tickets page this is what it says about hopping.
How interesting. I wonder is this is the reality? I am a Magic Key holder and if you arrive after 1 you absolutely do not have to visit the first park because I've entered the second park without scanning into the first.

Honestly, it seems pretty dumb if they make you do that. What is the point? And I do know that if you try to scan into one park then immediately walk out scan into the other park it will flag you and you have to get a lead to manage that situation. Sounds like a huge hassle for all involved so I don't see the point.

Finally, the "no park hopping until 1pm is absolutely my most hated of all the post-coved policies. It makes it so hard to plan for dining an entertainment and I hate that we are locked into a park until 1 if we are ready to hop before then. I hate, hate, HATE it and I wish this rule would go away!

How interesting. I wonder is this is the reality? I am a Magic Key holder and if you arrive after 1 you absolutely do not have to visit the first park because I've entered the second park without scanning into the first.

Honestly, it seems pretty dumb if they make you do that. What is the point? And I do know that if you try to scan into one park then immediately walk out scan into the other park it will flag you and you have to get a lead to manage that situation. Sounds like a huge hassle for all involved so I don't see the point.

Finally, the "no park hopping until 1pm is absolutely my most hated of all the post-coved policies. It makes it so hard to plan for dining an entertainment and I hate that we are locked into a park until 1 if we are ready to hop before then. I hate, hate, HATE it and I wish this rule would go away!

It's a stupid and arbitrary rule. What is so special about 1pm? I also hope it goes away, considering they are no longer bound by state mandated attendance caps.

Since there is no Fastpass anymore, does that mean that if I want to ride the popular rides that we have to get to the park super early now to ride them?

I will be buying the Genie + service along with paying extra to get onto RotR and Radiator Springs.

How bad is it while waiting in lines for the more popular rides?

I don't even remember the last time that I visited Disneyland before FastPass even existed, so I don't even know what to expect when it comes to waiting in line at the rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter