Haven't been to EPCOT since '87 HELP!

g8torphan

Mouseketeer
Last time I went to Epcot I was in 7th grade :rotfl:
So, yeah it's been a 'few years'.

We'll be there for the end of F&G on May 18th with my wife, 3yo son and SIL.
We have a dinner rez at Rose & Crown already.

This will be the middle of 3 days, so I'm thinking it may be a good day to do an AM/nap/PM type of day.

Suggestions for must sees?
Things to avoid?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2

only 1 day at epcot we have always found epcot to be a 2 day park

for the adults there are the rides test track mission space
for the young child there is the nemo ride into the seas and turtle talk with crush

then onto world showcase with all the shows and there are characters in each country and an activity for the child to do

we actually prefer to do the quick service fish and chips over the sit down
take the time to enjoy the train garden in germany
france and norway have some great sweet treats
and make sure to visit the troll malstorm the boat ride in norway is nice dont know if the little one will be big enough

there is also a boat ride in mexico that is a nice rest
and make sure to have time for the singers in the us pavilion

"Honey I Shrunk the Audience" is gone. They're showing the old Michael Jackson "Captain EO" film in that theatre (which I really enjoy, but, you know, haters are everywhere lol). Journey Into Imagination with Figment has changed a lot, I understand -- it was never one of my faves, so I haven't paid much attention.

Test Track and Soarin' are the big Fastpass things -- Test Track just had a huge refurb (reopened last fall), and Soarin' is still really popular. Decide which one you HAVE to do and go there first for FPs.

The boat ride in Mexico changed several years ago -- it's now a "3 Amigos" theme ride. Still fun, but I liked the old one better.

Make sure you do the Turtle Talk with Crush -- your 3-year-old will love it. The Finding Nemo ride may interest him as well. That lets out into Turtle Talk. Have fun!

Wow - 1987 was during the golden age of Epcot. You will find a lot of things have changed since your last visit.

Yes, Imagination has changed a lot - nothing like what it used to be. Spaceship Earth has changed a few times since '87 - you will probably recognize the first half but not the second. The ride through the greenhouses in the Land is probably the closest to it's original form - although they got rid of the live commentators and use a recording now. No more World of Motion or Horizons - those were replaced with Test Track and Mission:Space. The Communicore spaces in Future World are now Innoventions and totally different, and although the huge gift shop is in the same location, it's totally different - no more upstairs or glass elevator to get there.

That's not to say Epcot is horrible, but I would let go of everything you remember about that earlier trip and tour the park as if it's a new park - which it may feel like to you! The big headliners as far as wait time goes are Test Track and Soarin, neither of which were there on your earlier trip.

I agree that you will probably need a full day if you are only spending one day at Epcot, unless you are planning to just hit the highlights. With a 3-year old, you probably are thinking nap time, but I've seen a lot of "stroller nappers", and there are some quiet corners in the park where the adults can sit and rest during the nap.

Thanks for the input everyone.

We are planning on doing it like a "new" to us park since I know so much has change.

A few more ?s

Is Test Track too much for a 3.5yo? He hasn't done a coaster yet, but we're planning on doing Barnstormer the day before when we're at MK.

My understanding is there are arts and craft activities at each country in the world showcase.
Is that correct, and what types of activities are they? Is it just coloring pages or is it more involved than that?
Any that we should defiantly do?

Thanks again

As long as he is tall enough for Test Track he should be fine... The only thing remotely scary is when the car goes fast... but it's just like a race car ride....
If he rides the Barnstormer with no problems I don't think you'll have any problems with Test Track.

This has been said but to emphasize... Make plenty of time for Nemo, the Seas, and Turtle Talk... I think he will absolutely love that...

And yes - there are a lot of interactive opportunities around the World. Find a few shows that he will be interested in too and make time to take a couple of those in... Dragon acrobats... Serveur Amuseant... look at the list the day you will be there and see what is available.

I don't remember if you said when you are going.... but when my son was 3.5 (he is 20 now LOL) he LOVED Epcot for the little area water play spots...

I always dressed him in a quick drying swimsuit and made sure to take his tshirt off because he had a blast at those little areas... there are several.

Have a magical visit !
Mary

Is Test Track too much for a 3.5yo? He hasn't done a coaster yet, but we're planning on doing Barnstormer the day before when we're at MK.[

Both Test Track and Soarin have height requirements. 40" I believe. Though Test Track is the fastest ride at WDW, I wouldn't say its all that intense. I think if he enjoys the Barnstormer, I wouldn't think he'd have a problem with it.

Our first time in epcot was 1991.

The one thing no one mentioned is that there in no more Wonders of Life. The pavilion is still there but since there was no sponsor Disney shut it down.

The Odysee is no longer a big counter Service restaurant. It is used for events. Flower & Garden uses it alot. The central portion of the Land is now one big giant food court.

They've added a bunch of Kid Friendly stations in the World showcase with arts & crafts.

Special Things that are still there that you will remember:
The giant balls for sale in the walkway between central core and the pavilions.
The toys in the window at the stores in the UK.
The garden train in Germany
The spitting fountains at Imagination

Must sees:
Turtle Talk with Crush
Soaring
Mission Space (the green ride if you have EVER been motion sick. I did orange ride once so I can say i did but that was it)

The one thing no one mentioned is that there in no more Wonders of Life. The pavilion is still there but since there was no sponsor Disney shut it down.

Special Things that are still there that you will remember:
The giant balls for sale in the walkway between central core and the pavilions.

They don't sell the giant balls anymore. They stopped sometime last year - I'm thinking maybe late summer. I kind of miss watching the vendor play ball with the guests as they walk by.

I don't think WOL was there until 1989 - so the OP wouldn't have visited there on his first trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter