• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
trishadono - thank you for the kind words. I believe that my mom has been with me in spirit each time I visit the GF.

I can't wait to see the new Disney Vera Bradley designs. I wonder if Summer Lace will carry them? If anyone is at the GF now or going soon, would you please check?

It would be nice to have the cell phone wristlet. Maybe I should buy it for DD who always seems not to be able to hold her own phone and gives it to me with the rest of the items I have to carry for the entire family!

You are welcome.

We are looking forward to Vera too. On disney it shows only 8 designs. I think I will get a hipster in both colors and dd and I can share when we go as family in January.

I asked at summer lace in August and they said they now only carrying the vera for babies. However, that could change. Since I am there last weekend of F&W I know I can get them then and they are supposed to be at vera.com too.

Actually I may need the mini hipster too. I like a small bag for rides in morning and bigger to hold a sweater at night.

Thanks for the easy instructions, mickeynut. I'll play around and see if I can make it work.

It was easy to multi quote someone unless they had multi-quoted. That's where I get lost:rolleyes2

I will be watching to see if you figure it out. Try just 2 maybe ? It took me 30 mins just to do mine last night and I have been to lazy to do it today.

Yippee!! It's FINALLY here! On Saturday Morning we check in at the GF. Feels like I've waited an eternity for this trip. lol

I'll be sure to report back about fridges and the vera bags if nobody else does before me!

Hey all! Could I get some clarification on dormer rooms? I understand that they are request only. Are they located on both sides of the building at Sugar Loaf Key, or only the pool side. Also, am I understanding that the tradeoff for a slightly larger living space would be not having a balcony? With small children, a balcony is actually all important as a means of escape (so not everyone has to go to bed at 8:00)

ETA: Maybe I am using the wrong term. I am talking about the rooms that bump out in a rounded way on sides of the buildings. There appear to be just a few.

Yippee!! It's FINALLY here! On Saturday Morning we check in at the GF. Feels like I've waited an eternity for this trip. lol

I'll be sure to report back about fridges and the vera bags if nobody else does before me!

Thanks! Have a grand trip:goodvibes

Hey all! Could I get some clarification on dormer rooms? I understand that they are request only. Are they located on both sides of the building at Sugar Loaf Key, or only the pool side. Also, am I understanding that the tradeoff for a slightly larger living space would be not having a balcony? With small children, a balcony is actually all important as a means of escape (so not everyone has to go to bed at 8:00)

ETA: Maybe I am using the wrong term. I am talking about the rooms that bump out in a rounded way on sides of the buildings. There appear to be just a few.

Yes, you are using the wrong term.;) Dormer rooms are those rooms at the top of the building with their own little roofs and enclosed balconies. The rooms you are describing are called lodge tower rooms, or garden deluxe rooms.

The deluxe rooms in SL are by request only; they are only on the pool side; there are only 3 or 4 (can't remember just now) and two of them have a balcony; they do not have a daybed, just a sofa that no longer folds out, but you can request a rollaway.

HTH!:flower3:

For everyone trying to multi-quote - are you using the little icon with the quotation marks at the bottom of the posts? It shouldn't be too difficult if you are doing so. trishadono, when you quote someone with a quote in their post, only the text from the one you quoted should show up - are you getting the original text as well?

IDreamofPoly - woohoo!!:banana:

... thank you for the kind words. I believe that my mom has been with me in spirit each time I visit the GF.

:hug: I remember when your mom was sick. I'm so glad you are at a place you can think of her when you visit the Grand, hopefully with a smile instead of tears.:hug:

Yes, you are using the wrong term.;) Dormer rooms are those rooms at the top of the building with their own little roofs and enclosed balconies. The rooms you are describing are called lodge tower rooms, or garden deluxe rooms.

The deluxe rooms in SL are by request only; they are only on the pool side; there are only 3 or 4 (can't remember just now) and two of them have a balcony; they do not have a daybed, just a sofa that no longer folds out, but you can request a rollaway.

HTH!:flower3:

As soon as I pressed 'Post' I realized that it sounded wrong. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like requesting one of these would be rolling the dice. Out of curiousity, is the balcony off to the side? It looks like there are balconies with no windows to the side of these rooms as I look at pictures.

And thanks for being so nice here. I spend most of my time on the cruise portion of the boards, and by now someone there would have punched me in the nose, called me a moron, and told me to use the search function.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but not much... :thumbsup2

As soon as I pressed 'Post' I realized that it sounded wrong. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like requesting one of these would be rolling the dice. Out of curiousity, is the balcony off to the side? It looks like there are balconies with no windows to the side of these rooms as I look at pictures.

And thanks for being so nice here. I spend most of my time on the cruise portion of the boards, and by now someone there would have punched me in the nose, called me a moron, and told me to use the search function.

:rotfl: Thanks for the laugh. I know what you mean, I'm so timid about posting in other forums. I'm often ignored, and just thankful I wasn't told off.;) No worries here, the whole purpose of FAQ threads is to give info; telling someone to search for it is not helpful, IMO.

Yes, the balconies are off to the side. There is a good photo, posted by Little Lulu in a previous FAQ. I'll go find it, I think I have the link on the first page.

It is a roll of the dice, but be sure to put the request on your reservation and I mention room requests to IPO as well; tell them you realize it is just a request and you may not get it. If you give a reason for your request to IPO, that sometimes helps.:goodvibes

BRB with the link. ETA: Here is the post on the first page, there are actually 3 links for posts 25, 26 and 27 in another FAQ, right under the words "Room Photos, Cont.".:) Oops, I almost forgot to say - these photos were taken prior to the 2007 room renovations, so different decor and the sofa used to fold out. Wish it still did.~sigh~

For everyone trying to multi-quote - are you using the little icon with the quotation marks at the bottom of the posts? It shouldn't be too difficult if you are doing so. trishadono, when you quote someone with a quote in their post, only the text from the one you quoted should show up - are you getting the original text as well?

IDreamofPoly - woohoo!!:banana:

:hug: I remember when your mom was sick. I'm so glad you are at a place you can think of her when you visit the Grand, hopefully with a smile instead of tears.:hug:

It took me years to even post here. Then 2 more to figure out how to ticker, bold and color.

My multi quote for Blue kept coming out wrong but I finally figured it out.

With dd gone I have more time to play with this stuff. She will be home this weekend and my house will be a mess but who cares? I'll clean it Monday.

I am watching for January rates: here are our wishes for our Mom n me portion after guys leave.(don't really want to stay AOA after VGF:rolleyes:)

1. GF RPC

2. CR MKV atrium

3. Poly CL GV

4. either GF Sl or CR LV atrium.

5 WL Club or CR MKV

It is a lot of money but with annual passes paid for and I have miles for airfare I am only buying rooms this time. I keep thinking about when I won't have a girl to travel with anymore:sad1::sad:

trishadono - good luck with your planning, enjoy your time with your girl. I hear you about not having her to travel with, it is tough.:hug:

I get what you are saying now about quoting someone who has multi-quoted. You end up with a lot of short sentences that seem to make no sense!:laughing: I just delete the stuff that isn't relevant to my response. But then, what am I saying - it takes me forever to compose my posts and I'm famous for editing!:rotfl2:

Here[/u][/color][/url] is the post on the first page, there are actually 3 links for posts 25, 26 and 27 in another FAQ, right under the words "Room Photos, Cont.".:) Oops, I almost forgot to say - these photos were taken prior to the 2007 room renovations, so different decor and the sofa used to fold out. Wish it still did.~sigh~

Those are quite lovely, really. And I like that old decor. Again, thanks for the info. I booked several weeks ago and still haven't heard from IPO. I keep wondering if that is because it is so early, and my 180 day window doesn't even open until January, but maybe I will initiate early contact with my room request.

Thank you for all the sweet comments...this is a great group of disers on this thread.

:goodvibes

I surprised myself..I've tried to make tickers before, but to no avail.
When I get to the "copy and paste" step, that's where I get techno-challenged! :badpc: :lmao:

You go girl!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Making your own ticker!!! :dance3: You will be multi quoting before you know it!

Are the refrigerators all replaced now from the issue over the summer?

On our most recent stay this past August the fridge in the room was in working order...didn't look new though..:confused3 LOL..Maybe they just replaced a part??

It would be nice to have the cell phone wristlet. Maybe I should buy it for DD who always seems not to be able to hold her own phone and gives it to me with the rest of the items I have to carry for the entire family!

:crowded: My bag seems to be the catchall for everything that everyone "cannot" hold too! LOL..I bought my DD a lovely Disney D&B that cross body letter carrier I think its called..in hopes that I would not be lugging her stuff too..she loves it..and uses it at home!! :eek: :cutie: LOL...

:dance3: Have a grand vacation!!!

:boat: I don't think I will be visiting the cruise boards any time soon!! LOL...

Yes those lodge tower rooms do have a balcony off to the side.. there are 3 of them,,the room numbers are 6220..which has a closed balcony..as it is part of the portico roof line....6320..has a balcony with the pretty railing that is on most balconies...and 6420 which has no balcony due to the suite right next door...

Its a very nice room..that extra bit of space is well laid out...and even has an extra tv...but as k&a&c'smom said is not a bookable category in SL...but can definitely be requested...

MickeyNut You super multiquoter you!! :goodvibes It took me the longest time to figure how to do that...did we both learn how from Cinderumbrella ..:confused3 I remember she was showing a few of us at the same time?? LOL... That's the most I can do though..:crazy2:

k&a&c'smom I have multiquoted multiquoted posts and been totally confused....LOL...:upsidedow So I try not to...usually... :rolleyes1

ahcupcake Hope that you are starting to feel better...:sick: Yes maxie is at WDW right now...I am getting a bit of a Disney fix from her text pics...but....not sure what she is doing staying over the "other" side of the world...LOL..I thinks she is starting to become a fan of those Epcot resorts! :p

trishadono You seem to be doing very well with all of the techno stuff :thumbsup2...not only multi quoting..but posting pics...I have not even attempted that ...LOL..:upsidedow

Hey fellow GF fans! pixiedust: Hope its a magical Monday!!

Those are quite lovely, really. And I like that old decor. Again, thanks for the info. I booked several weeks ago and still haven't heard from IPO. I keep wondering if that is because it is so early, and my 180 day window doesn't even open until January, but maybe I will initiate early contact with my room request.

I would contact them ASAP. IPO is hit or miss when it comes to initial contact, in my experience. Sometimes they do it, but often it is just weeks before my trip. (we rarely make dining reservations that are hard to get last minute)

I am a broken record when it comes to the old decor, I've never reconciled myself to the new look.:rotfl: Loved the whimsical patterns and that there were so many different room looks.~sigh~

Don't hesitate to ask anything, we're here to help.:goodvibes

On our most recent stay this past August the fridge in the room was in working order...didn't look new though..:confused3 LOL..Maybe they just replaced a part??

Yes those lodge tower rooms do have a balcony off to the side.. there are 3 of them,,the room numbers are 6220..which has a closed balcony..as it is part of the portico roof line....6320..has a balcony with the pretty railing that is on most balconies...and 6420 which has no balcony due to the suite right next door...

Its a very nice room..that extra bit of space is well laid out...and even has an extra tv...but as k&a&c'smom said is not a bookable category in SL...but can definitely be requested...

k&a&c'smom I have multiquoted multiquoted posts and been totally confused....LOL...:upsidedow So I try not to...usually... :rolleyes1

LOL about multi-quoting getting confusing!

Thanks for the fridge info, and the SL deluxe room numbers and info on the balconies. I couldn't remember for sure if it was 3 or 4, my brain is sometimes on hold now that I'm older.:laughing: We've never requested one, as it is usually just the 2 of us, or at most 3, and I figure someone probably needs the space for a bigger family.

k&a&c'smom I see we were posting at the same time again!! :goodvibes Well..I was posting for quite a while...:blush: LOL...

Which Epcot resort is Maxie staying at, Blue? So, she's gone over to the "dark side", huh??:rotfl2:

And speaking of Cinderumbrella, wonder how she's doing??:confused3

I would contact them ASAP. IPO is hit or miss when it comes to initial contact, in my experience. Sometimes they do it, but often it is just weeks before my trip. (we rarely make dining reservations that are hard to get last minute)

I am a broken record when it comes to the old decor, I've never reconciled myself to the new look.:rotfl: Loved the whimsical patterns and that there were so many different room looks.~sigh~

Don't hesitate to ask anything, we're here to help.:goodvibes

I agree..on both!

LOL about multi-quoting getting confusing!

Thanks for the fridge info, and the SL deluxe room numbers and info on the balconies. I couldn't remember for sure if it was 3 or 4, my brain is sometimes on hold now that I'm older.:laughing: We've never requested one, as it is usually just the 2 of us, or at most 3, and I figure someone probably needs the space for a bigger family.

:thumbsup2 Always happy to share whatever info that I can...of whatever I remember...I seem to have a bit of that "older" brain challenge too!! ;)

Just 10 days until celebrating our 5 year anniversary at the Grand Floridian! This time we got MK Castle View!!! Beyond excited:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter