• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having a hs senior

We can't do any applying unless her ACT comes up. She has a decent gap but a terrible ACT, so there are only 2 colleges she can apply to right now. She did apply to one, which she likes, so if it's the only one she gets I to that'll be okay too.

Have you considered test optional colleges? DDs gpa is near perfect, but her test scores are no where near her ability. She has severe test anxiety. Quite a few of the schools on her list are test optional.

We can't do any applying unless her ACT comes up. She has a decent gap but a terrible ACT, so there are only 2 colleges she can apply to right now. She did apply to one, which she likes, so if it's the only one she gets I to that'll be okay too.

Does it have to be the ACT? I had great grades and did really well on the SAT but totally tanked (in my opinion) the ACT. I never even submitted the scores.

It has been really overwhelming for me too, OP! DD18 is an only child, so this is one and done for us. Thursday was the last football game of the season, so it was Senior Night-DD has been in marching band for 6 years, and concert band for 7, so it really is the end of an era. We stood on the field with her, and it was so surreal. I can't believe it's over.

Yesterday, she got her first college acceptance letter, and she's taking the ACT one last time in December to try to qualify for a full scholarship.

The expenses are obscene. In one week last month, we paid out $645, and we still don't have her graduation invitations or casual senior pictures done yet!

DD has one college acceptance so far (full tuition scholarship!! Yay!) and will get decisions on 2 more by mid-December. The last 4 are regular decision, so she will hear in Feb-March. Once we hear from everyone, and get scholarship/financial aid award amounts, DD will decide which school is her final choice.

Cap and gown orders are due in 2 weeks, and we got her senior portraits last week. We also need to order graduation announcements- thinking of getting them from Shutterfly or similar.

DD's other big decision will be what she wants to do for miniterm- her school has a 10 day period in late Feb-early March in between 2nd and 3rd trimester where the kids can do research, take fun in-depth classes on campus, or go on school sponsored trips. They can be anything from hiking the Appalachian trail to doing the Disney YES program to overseas trips to China, Greece, or Costa Rica. DD likes the Disney YES trip, a superhero themed class that visits Universal Studios, and a trip to Arizona and California to study Pueblo culture.

I have a brother with triplets who are seniors now. I haven't asked how things are going. I imagine they'll all be going to their local JC to start with. Can you imagine 3 starting college at the same time!?
Their older son has taken semesters off and is 6 years older than the trips. So he will finish at his University of California campus in 14 months. (My boys took no time off and it still took them 5 years.)
My sons were in State Colleges when DH was making good $$. It was the room & board that cost us so much!

It is very overwhelming and we aren't having to deal with college acceptance just yet. Dd will go to the cc i work for, for 2 years.

But we have done some college visits thinking ahead to a transfer school. She fell in love with one of our state schools-the campus, the staff, the professors she met just all made her feel right at home. So she has tentatively chosen her transfer school, major, minor and study abroad decisions in just the past few weeks which all have her thinking about what she will take at cc to transfer (I keep telling her that is what we have advisors for). I know she is excited about it all and just ready to get started but dang she is making my head spin.

In addition to that, the amount of work in just two hs classes is crazy and keeping up with an online dual enrollment class is stressing her. Choir practice every day during school and two days after. Performances regularly. Section leader, choir secretary and librarian. And now preparing for honor choir auditions and college choir and show choir auditions. Whew!

Haven't done casual portraits yet, she still has to get with the photographer and decide on some locations. Haven't even thought ahead to prom.

And the football team made it to the playoffs so Friday nights are still really reserved for games. And pep rally performances on Friday afternoons.

I have no clue about how to get a decent photographer for senior pictures, and DD hates getting pictures taken, so I guess we won't do that. It's really a shame.

I have no clue about how to get a decent photographer for senior pictures, and DD hates getting pictures taken, so I guess we won't do that. It's really a shame.

One of DDs bandmates had beautiful pictures taken so that's the photographer I hired. She doesn't advertise, just gets business by word of mouth. I was concerned that she didn't have prices on her website, but she turned out to be very affordable. Tell your DD to suck it up and get some photos - the good photographers make it fun for the kids.

We had to have the pictures taken and ready to go by Friday for inclusion in the yearbook.

Eh, I don't have senior pics for either of my dd's. The school did the shots and they were not good enough to order imo.

I was able to get the first dd in a candid grad photo of her accepting her diploma (via school photos) and younger dd was able to get a shot before graduation (photographers were backstage) in her cap and gown holding her diploma.

So all hope is not lost yet, lol.

Plus, get some photos in her cap and gown prior to the ceremony and you might bag a good shot.

Is it common practice in other parts of the country for the school to take the yearbook shot? In my part of the country, the photographer takes them all and then you can choose which of the head shots you want for the yearbook. The school has specific guidelines for the yearbook and the photographers deliver all the pics to the school at once for all the seniors.

DD had a choice of about 10 yearbook photos and then we had some taken outside by the lake in both her yearbook outfit and her letter jacket. Then we went to a local park and had some taken in a flannel shirt and jeans. It was about a two hour session.

That's how it is here and it was also like that many years ago when I was a high school senior in a different part of the state - although we didn't wear jeans or take many outside. Our "casual" ones were rather dorky.

Here the school tells you the professional photographer to go to for the senior portraits--guys tux top and girls drape. The deadline for appointments is December to make the yearbook. Parents don't have to buy the pictures, but I want those shots of my kids--so I buy. It took 's all of 15 minutes last year and they took about 8 poses. I chose just one to buy for a few 8x10s and wallets to go in the invitations..

After he got his cap and gown I took him to a friend's studio and she took cap and gown pictures and a few casual in her studio. Being a guy, he wasn't excited about the outdoors, change 3 times and move to several different locations. I did good to get 45 minutes of poses. Friend gave me a disc of pictures I could have printed anywhere. All for $50.

Yeah. The school takes yearbook pictures, but they are usually pretty awful. DD's was barely passable (she's a difficult subject). I'd really like some nice candid shots. She does have a friend in orchestra who posted some gorgeous pictures on facebook. I asked DD to find out who did them, but she hasn't. I might just call the girl's mother (I don't know them, just have an orchestra directory) and ask. It's a little ackward and DD will flip out.

Our school takes pictures of everyone and uses that on their id. You can use this for the yearbook or, you can submit your own from any photographer you want, as long as it fits certain parameters. I would say it ends up about 25%/75%.

Dd has had one meltdown so far which is very unlike her. Between hard classes, band, science Olympiad, national honor society, and drivers ed she is always busy, and functions on very little sleep. She got 3 early actions in yesterday so she is getting there..

I was sad about out "last" Halloween and the fact we didn't make it to the pumpkin patch because everyone was too busy. :(

Must depend on the kid...when I was a senior all my parents did was give me their credit card to pay college application fees, drive me to college tours I scheduled and filled out their part of the fafsa. I did everything else myself...picked my colleges to apply for, scheduled my senior photos, etc.

Even if my daughter is as independent as me, I'm sure I'll be much more hands on than my parents were though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter