Having registration remorse......

irishtwins1112

Mouseketeer
So I registered for the half marathon for marathon weekend 2016.....but I couldn't be satisfied with that. I had to go through the steps and register for the marathon and request the transfer to that race because I thought I wouldn't feel accomplished enough after the half. Now I am up in the middle of the night thinking about all the stuff that is coming up in the fall....especially for my two boys....and I am thinking I should have stuck with the half because I won't have time to properly train for the full. In my stressed state I sent a followup email attached to the one with the transfer paperwork to ask that the transfer be cancelled so that I can keep the half marathon entry. I sent the initial email about 12 hours ago and haven't received a confirmation email at all so I doubt it has been processed. I am hoping at the very least I can keep the half registration. I am betting they will not refund me for the full marathon entry if they can cancel the transfer.......so I may end up with a half marathon and full marathon entry. There goes $200 bucks. That is what I get for letting my emotions be involved in the registration process. It would be nice if I could go back to sleep now.:sad2:

If it makes you feel better, I'm still waiting for a transfer refund from Tink Weekend that was apparently processed on March 13. So, you may be in luck!

I have 2 replies to this...but the first one is actually a suggestion - IF, worst case scenario, the original transfer does go through, you could get a half marathon bib from a travel agent (would have to get 2 nights at a hotel and a 2-day park hopper) and defer your marathon entry to next year.

And my second reply...
So I registered for the half marathon for marathon weekend 2016.....but I couldn't be satisfied with that. I had to go through the steps and register for the marathon and request the transfer to that race because I thought I wouldn't feel accomplished enough after the half.
That's interesting. Not to sound like a shrink, but why do you think you felt like that?

I complain about this a decent amount on the boards, but I think runDisney puts way too much emphasis on the longer races/challenges (and you see it here with people acting like Dopey is all that matters) - every event matters!! Every event is an accomplishment! Finishing a half marathon is admirable!!

Okay, stepping off soapbox. I hope things work out for you.

Ariel484 you are so right, but I was the same way when the Dopey came out.. I was planning on WDW being my 2nd full.. Due to some things, my original full turned into a 1/2. Once I decided WDW would be my first full, MY brain started going thru this... "If you dont do the goofy challenge, you will wish you had" then they announced the 10k.. Then my brain was like it's the FIRST ONE!!! you have to do it!!! THEN they announced the Dopey.. And of course my brain just convinced myself anything less than the Dopey wouldnt work. I also know I am weird that way.. Always have been. Now to my downfall, since I love doing so many different things, often, sadly I never really get excellent at any of them :/. I also never, EVER talk 'down' to anyone that's 'only doing a 5k' I've heard others do that and it makes me sad. To that person that 5k is mount everest!! I LOVE celebrating when others do something they didnt think they could do.. But I personally 1)want to do it all 2)always beat myself up because I could have done better.. I really dont know where I was going with this, but needed to explain how I'm sure other think :D

I would say that if they don't actually process the transfer to the marathon they wouldn't charge, but you never know. I had a problem with a refund once that ending up costing me money. But I hope you get the half back since that the race you really want to do. Any race you finish is an accomplishment.

every event matters!!

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is that wonderful song from Monty Python's Meaning of Life :rotfl2:

On a more serious note, I fully agree. People shouldn't feel inferior if they are not running Dopey or Goofy or the full or anything other than the race they want to do. One way to help remove the emphasis on other races is for people, from rD DJs to all of us here, to stop saying "only race X" and start saying "just race X" or simply "race X." "Only" implies that more is better, whereas "just" implies that you could've chosen to do other races but picked what suits you best. A subtlety perhaps, but an important one.

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is that wonderful song from Monty Python's Meaning of Life :rotfl2:

On a more serious note, I fully agree. People shouldn't feel inferior if they are not running Dopey or Goofy or the full or anything other than the race they want to do. One way to help remove the emphasis on other races is for people, from rD DJs to all of us here, to stop saying "only race X" and start saying "just race X" or simply "race X." "Only" implies that more is better, whereas "just" implies that you could've chosen to do other races but picked what suits you best. A subtlety perhaps, but an important one.
*applause*

Just to clarify.....I have done multiple half marathons over the last 10 years. I would guess 15 or so. For me personally I know it won't be much of a challenge. It will just be super fun. Which is what I was going for initially but the more I thought about it I appreciate a good challenge and I still want to do the marathon with enough time to ride everest. It is still on my bucket list. The half marathon won't really be a goal accomplishment. I would never say it isn't an accomplishment for anyone else....I am just saying for me personally I have done the distance a lot and feel like it a sure thing. The marathon has an unknown to it. I have only completed two. One in 2008 by itself at disney. And one during Goofy 2015. I am slow so my goal is always just to finish....no real push for a time goal. So anyway....I hope you understand better why I said that. It was for me personally.....not trying to be a downer for anybody doing and completing any other distance.

I did the 5k and 10k for star wars weekend and they were pure fun. They were my first races of those distance at Disney. Such a different vibe. I am hoping I can have as much fun in the half as I did in those races. Maybe even have time to take some pics and such.

@irishtwins1112 I understand, again, sorry for getting on the soapbox! :)

It's a good year to do the half, too. I have high hopes for an awesome anniversary year medal.

And my second reply...

That's interesting. Not to sound like a shrink, but why do you think you felt like that?

I complain about this a decent amount on the boards, but I think runDisney puts way too much emphasis on the longer races/challenges (and you see it here with people acting like Dopey is all that matters) - every event matters!! Every event is an accomplishment! Finishing a half marathon is admirable!!

Okay, stepping off soapbox. I hope things work out for you.

My very first event was the Half in 2012. It was, and will always be, an incredibly daunting challenge to run a half marathon. On the trip down I was thinking myself crazy to be attempting a half marathon and was really nervous about the experience. My sister, cousin, and I (all running the first races in our lives) had only been on DME for about 5 minutes before we heard the driver and other people discussing the races and things like "only the marathon?", "Why aren't you doing Goofy?", and a few other choice phrases were being uttered all around us. It wasn't a conscious decision any of them made to be demeaning and I'm sure they were probably all really nice people, but I felt incredibly small and almost ashamed when people asked us what we were doing and said we were doing the Half Marathon.

There definitely needs to be more understanding that putting yourself out there to do any of these races is an amazing accomplishment and finishing them is just icing on the cake. I know it is human nature to always want to feel like we are doing everything to our maximum capacity, so I'm not sure there is really a solution to the problem. It would be nice if people, particularly those directly involved with the race, were a little more aware of how off-putting using "only" or other dismissive language can be.

To the OP: I don't know anything about the transfer process but I hope you get it worked out and run the race you want to run, whichever it may be.

Just to clarify.....I have done multiple half marathons over the last 10 years. I would guess 15 or so. For me personally I know it won't be much of a challenge. It will just be super fun. Which is what I was going for initially but the more I thought about it I appreciate a good challenge and I still want to do the marathon with enough time to ride everest. It is still on my bucket list. The half marathon won't really be a goal accomplishment. I would never say it isn't an accomplishment for anyone else....I am just saying for me personally I have done the distance a lot and feel like it a sure thing. The marathon has an unknown to it. I have only completed two. One in 2008 by itself at disney. And one during Goofy 2015. I am slow so my goal is always just to finish....no real push for a time goal. So anyway....I hope you understand better why I said that. It was for me personally.....not trying to be a downer for anybody doing and completing any other distance.

Didn't sound like you were putting anyone down. Just that it was a personal feeling you had for yourself. Let us know how the transfer/not transfer goes for you.

Ok, great. That is that last thing I wanted. I was just frustrated with myself not trying to make anyone else feel bad.

My first race ever was the 5k at WDW Star Wars Dark Side weekend. I know for seasoned runners 5k isn't much of a race but for me it was huge and I'm so glad I did it. In fact, I'm so glad I did it I signed up for the 1/2 marathon in January! Now I just need to get to training...

Congrats on the accomplishment!!! Way to go!

I talked with someone at run disney this morning and she said she would contact the person that was in charge or transfers and make sure to let them know about my wishes. She didn't seem to think it would be a problems to refund the marathon entry. So here is hoping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter