Hawaii 2020 Questions? Bring 'Em On!

Been there, done that -- cannot recommend them. Great ports and excursions, horrid ship and crew. [who knows, maybe they've gotten better over the past 10 years -- but in 18 cruises that is still the worst one we have ever been on]

If you go to Hawaii and spend any time on Maui, be sure to go to the Lahaina Luau -- just incredible and one of the original.
Oh that's a shame. I've never actually sailed with Norwegian, but have been looking into it. Would the ship really matter that much when it's so port intense?

Oh that's a shame. I've never actually sailed with Norwegian, but have been looking into it. Would the ship really matter that much when it's so port intense?

Well, let me put it this way, when you check into your two rooms (after waiting until they open them at 3 p.m.) and find filth and grime and lipstick and Scope on glasses and mugs, a puddle of maple syrup on the rug, your pamphlets stuck to the desk, hairs everywhere and the verandah door so filthy you can't see out of it, then yes -- I think one would be affected by how the ship was run. It was so bad that they sent a crew to our two rooms to take photographs and write reports. UGH The restaurant crew looked like they had slept in their clothes.

The only time in 45 years of traveling with my husband that he groaned when we had to get back on the ship at each port.

At that time it was a 100% American crew (which is so sad), but I have heard since then that they have petitioned to get permission to hire 25% foreign -- which may or may not have made a difference. This experience and our recent one on the Escape have put us off NCL and we won't be back ;)

However, on a happier note, I will give them great kudos for the ports, sailing past the Napali Coast, the lava flow viewing at night time and the excursion vendors they used. The overnight in Maui was also a plus.

Well, you are onboard every night (also, probably for dinner). You do have contact with the crew daily, many times. The ship - well it's taking you from place to place. Unless you plan to only remain in one spot when onboard, you'll see much of it.

this may be outside of the point of the thread... hopefully not by too much. we are thinking of Hawaii for 2020, but more of spring break land vacation than cruising. Any suggestions on which island(s) to visit, assuming we would have about 10 days total. My close friend has suggested Oahu for Honolulu/Waikiki but I wouldn't mind doing something a wee bit less 'city'.

You sound a bit like me with "something a wee bit less 'city'". :cutie: Lots of folks love, love the busy vibe of Waikiki/Honolulu. Speaking for myself, that is not what I want to go to Hawaii for. Before I go further, Oahu offers many things the neighbor islands do not in the way of history. The only palace on U.S. soil is Iolani Palace in Honolulu. Of course, Pearl Harbor, an experience for which I have no words. Beyond moving. There's the Bishop Museum with its fabulous exhibits about the history of Hawaii. All that said, Honolulu is a BIG city and Oahu has just over a million residents. It has skyscrapers and crazy traffic at rush hour. But if offers much. The north and east shores are beautiful. Remind me quite a bit of Kauai. :flower:

For us, we love Maui. I love the Big Island of Hawaii (where Volcanoes Nat'l Park is) and Kauai. And there are things I love about Oahu. But for us, it's Maui. Particularly if it's winter and whale season! :love: Maui is growing, much to my chagrin, but offers a great many different experiences. Kauai is more rural and has the ethereal beauty of the Napali Coast, Princeville and Hanalei Bay. Truly lovely beyond words. Kauai also has Waimea Canyon, called the grand canyon of the Pacific. The Big Island/Hawaii has volcanoes, the most active on the planet, rainforests amazing diversity of climates and geography. The BI has the tallest mountains on the planet, higher than the Himalayas because the Hawaiian mtns. start from the sea floor! So the BI and Maui's summits make for some of the best star gazing in the world.

It would be hard to go wrong with picking any of the Hawaiian islands, but it depends on what you and yours think of when you think, "Hawaii". We go every year, and I truly and deeply love Hawaii, its' culture, its peoples and it's music, etc. I personally do not recommend more than 2 islands tops in your time frame. Travel time, even inter-island, is time consuming and will eat up much of one of your precious days. I think doing a 2 island split would work if that's what you prefer. One thing I always tell people is NOT to over schedule for a Hawaii trip (much harder to do that from a Hawaii cruise), because part of what makes Hawaii special IMO and that of many others, is to just......BE. Be still. Feel the softness of the breezes, smell the sweetness of the air. See colors you don't see anywhere else. Just soak. It. In. I promise a day or 2 of just being still on a beach or on a mountain side will give you great ROI! ::yes::

Off topic question - what itinerary was this?

the one that was supposed to go to Bermuda from NYC on 9/9. It wasn't the change of itinerary we objected to, but the way we were treated and how the port fees were not all refunded. That's okay, there's other great lines like Disney!

the one that was supposed to go to Bermuda from NYC on 9/9. It wasn't the change of itinerary we objected to, but the way we were treated and how the port fees were not all refunded. That's okay, there's other great lines like Disney!
Just curious if the "all US crew" issues were as prevalent on another cruise (without the all US crew). As well as the condition of the ship.

Well, let me put it this way, when you check into your two rooms (after waiting until they open them at 3 p.m.) and find filth and grime and lipstick and Scope on glasses and mugs, a puddle of maple syrup on the rug, your pamphlets stuck to the desk, hairs everywhere and the verandah door so filthy you can't see out of it, then yes -- I think one would be affected by how the ship was run. It was so bad that they sent a crew to our two rooms to take photographs and write reports. UGH The restaurant crew looked like they had slept in their clothes.

The only time in 45 years of traveling with my husband that he groaned when we had to get back on the ship at each port.

At that time it was a 100% American crew (which is so sad), but I have heard since then that they have petitioned to get permission to hire 25% foreign -- which may or may not have made a difference. This experience and our recent one on the Escape have put us off NCL and we won't be back ;)

However, on a happier note, I will give them great kudos for the ports, sailing past the Napali Coast, the lava flow viewing at night time and the excursion vendors they used. The overnight in Maui was also a plus.
Ugh that sounds absolutely awful! Definitely makes me glad we picked the Disney cruise over them for Hawaii

You should be fine then, barring if you happened to be in your first trimester. :scratchin

Hard to say about the luau. It is a large luau with a lot of seating & I would imagine DCL has blocked the lion's share if not all for that night. Luau are not cheap. I've attended the OLL offered and cannot say enough good things about it, especially if you've never done a luau I think it's pretty perfect! :thumbsup2 But I know when we are on Maui we pay right at $125/pp and that is with NO transportation. Our cruise in 2015 overnighted on Maui so I booked Feast at Lele myself and had a car rented for our 2 days on Maui. But without an overnight, I personally would pay DCL's price to make doggoned sure I got back to the ship before departure. JMHO. :cutie:

Feast at Lele, btw, is run by the same great folks that operate Old Lahaina Luau. It is a little more for the grown ups IMO in that there is no Imu ceremony (where the pig is taken out of the pit/Imu oven ), almost no local crafters to watch and/or buy from, etc. And it's table service. But it is also a Polynesian luau as opposed to traditional Hawaiian, so there are dances and food from across Polynesia. Both luau are outstanding IMO. I have done both more than once. :sunny:
The luau sounds identical to the one at Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. If you fly in early you could always do the one on Oahu instead of the Maui one.

I'm not too keen on Pride of America [though I have heard that it is certainly improved from before] but only because I'd rather enjoy more time on land. I haven't had a bad experience on Norwegian, though.

thanks for the tips everyone :)

We are also Silver and got a 9D GTY. Are you on the 9 night?

I feel so lucky to have gotten a booking. We weren’t even looking but I was listening to the Disunplugged podcast and they mentioned this cruise so I immediately went online and snapped up a room. Now I just have to talk my husband into going :p

I got 2 rooms as a silver and they are 9c GTY. I’m am undecided what to do. I am fine with the cost, but not fine with not having my rooms guaranteed to be connecting or even on the same deck.
I’ve done the *GT rate before and it was worth the risk for the savings, but for the hawaii GTY im not getting any savings to make up for the risk.

Anyone know what to expect for weather? Would we be able to enjoy the pool decks the last few sea days?

I feel so lucky to have gotten a booking. We weren’t even looking but I was listening to the Disunplugged podcast and they mentioned this cruise so I immediately went online and snapped up a room. Now I just have to talk my husband into going :p

We are on the 10 night. DH agreed to the deposit and he is interested as long as we can save up for it. It is so far out it makes it pretty reasonable to save for over time. It will be an early celebration for my 40th.

Just be sure to watch the Paid in Full date. The PIF has changed recently.

The agent I spoke with said PIF is Jan 9 and that is the same day as last day for 100% return on deposit. Is this correct? We are Silver. Will we be able to make Palo (if available) or excursions if we have not paid in full yet?

The luau sounds identical to the one at Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. If you fly in early you could always do the one on Oahu instead of the Maui one.

I've heard nice things about PCC. I have not attended but have been to the location. Main difference I see is that it is not a beachfront location. :cutie:

We are doing the Vancouver to hawaii sailing. Do we have to pass US customs and immigration when we arrive on the first island? Just wondering how that works since we are technically leaving a foreign country and returning to the US.
We did the Vancouver to Hawaii in 2015, and yes, I believe we did go through customs, but abbreviated? It was super quick,

Good for you! We are still trying! I'm hoping it settles down. We had no trouble booking the 2015 Hawaii cruise, but that one was in September. It certainly wasn't anywhere near capacity so this quick sell out really surprised me. The return trip to Vancouver was so light they ended up only having one dinner seating. Also - i think one crew member said they only had 300 children. Lucky us we were booked right next to the most popular teenage boy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter