Hawaii: Concierge or World Passport Collection?

lampy

Mouseketeer
Anyone been to Hawaii and stayed in the Concierge Collection resorts of Kapalua Bay or Mauna Lani resorts? Are these resorts better or worse than the ones offered in the World Passport collection through II? I am planning a 2003 trip to HI and don't know which resort to choose. I want to be ON the beach, not two blocks from the beach. Also, when can you start booking the resorts in the Concierge Collection? the World Passport Collection? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bill! I did a search and found a lot of good info. I would like to hear some people's experiences with II or if the resorts in the Concierge are better. I will be using Freq flyer miles so the dates have to be kinda firm.

Another thought? How flexible is it to change CC or II ressies?

See if you can find Dean on the boards. He seems to be one of the virtual experts about exchanges/timeshares.

Doesn't seem fair to compare world class hotels to timeshares. While both are great, they are just different. Unfortunately, there are no guarantee on timeshares trades but I don't think you'll be able to schedule the Concierge collection any more than 330 days out anyway and that's when most of the airlines start booking seats. You may be better off deciding on your dates, scheduling your airlines tickets and then hoping one of the options for a room comes through. Since you can look up to 2 years out, decide what resorts you would like, the dates time you want to shoot for then place the request. If the request goes through before you need to schedule your tickets, be on the phone at the first day you can call. If not, schedule your tickets for the dates you would like to go and then keep looking for a room. You can always schedule a condo or hotel that is cancellable as a backup.

If you like spending lots of points and getting a world class hotel, you may be happier with the CC. I personally prefer the home feel of a good timeshare. Everyone is different. The timeshares in HI that are on the DVC list that I would consider are Maui and Kauai Marriotts, Westin Kaanapali (if open then and on the DVC list), Sands of Kahana, Hanalei Bay, and likely One Napili Way. I likely would include Lawaii Beach and possibly Cliff's club depending on how desperate you were to get time there. Also Kona Coast on the Big Island. One thing to note is that most deposits are made at one year or less but KCR seems to be the exception. I was offered a 1 BR 2 years out but declined.

Other options would be to use an alternate exchagne company like San Francisco Exchange or a direct exchange with an owner at one of the resorts in question. In either case, it opens you up to other great properties like Pahio Shearwater, both Embassy's, Hilton HI Village, Whaler, and the Bay Club. You could also deal with those that are members of II and RCI and seer what they could get for you indirectly. Greg Thorson, of this board, is very intersted in an exchange and will likely be able to get you an RCI resort for HI a year out at the Embassy or one of the Pahio properties.

My personal recommendation is to maximize your efforts. Joing TUG at www.tug2.net and place a direct exchange ad. Look at the other adds and email those that seem to fit your needs asking about an exchange. Place an exchange request with DVC for search first. Contact Independents like SFX, Platinum Interchange, Trading Places HI, and tell them what you have and need. Good luck.

Dean provided excellent answers.

I might add the following analogies:
  • Using DVC points to stay at a Concierge Collection hotel is similar to using DVC points to stay at a deluxe Disney resort such as the Grand Floridian. You get less space but full service.
  • Using DVC points to exchange into a timeshare resort through II is similar to using DVC points to spend a week at a DVC condo, although very few of the world's timeshares come up to standards of the DVC resorts. DVC limits you to some of the best timeshares in the world, but even many of these don't really compare to DVC.
I've personally stayed at the Kona Coast Resort (in Phase 1) and at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, though not with DVC points in either case. The Kona Coast Resort is not on the beach, though several beaches are a short drive away; the condos are spacious. Marriott's Kauai Beach Club is converted from the the old Westin Kauai hotel; so, for example, a 1-BR unit is the size of two hotel rooms, with 2 bathrooms, and a very small kitchenette -- certainily not nearly as spacious as an OKW or even a BWV 1-BR unit; but I still think it's a great place and I would recommend it highly.

Dean is right. Join TUG ($15 first year, then $10 per year to renew) if you're interested in II exchanges. You'll have access to an extensive library of reviews and other content to help you make informed choices.

This has been mentioned above but warrants repeating:

Concierge Collection-Flexible on the length of stay

World Passport- locked into a weeklong stay.

I was in Hawaii last year and would recommend moving about from island to island rather than staying one week on one island. At least splitting time between two islands. That depends on what your taste is.

PKS44 wrote:
I was in Hawaii last year and would recommend moving about from island to island rather than staying one week on one island. At least splitting time between two islands. That depends on what your taste is.
I agree with the last sentence... "That depends on what your taste is."

I would much rather have a nice, long, leisurely stay on one island and return another year to visit another island. Last year we spent ten nights on Kauai, mostly at one resort. It's really nice to spend a full week at a great resort like Marriott's Kauai Beach Club.

It really depends upon whether you plan to visit Hawaii again, or whether this is a once-in-lifetime vacation to Hawaii. Even then, I would recommend against trying to visit four islands in a week -- unless taking a Hawaiian cruise. (And I know PKS44 isn't recommending four islands in a week either.)

WOW. Thanks for all the great tips. I was making a big mistake when looking at the Concierge Collection. I *assumed* the Kapalua Bay Hotel points were for a suite room. After careful review you can only use points for their hotel rooms. You know what happens when you assume? I would much rather stay in a timeshare resort and I am now looking into one that is ON the beach in Maui. The TUG group seems to be the best resource. This is a once-in-a lifetime visit to Hawaii and I want it to be perfect.

I doubt you can have anything but a great time anywhere in Hawaii...Since you will be staying in a timeshare and likely buying groceries, I have one tip for you. If the store has a frequent customer program, sign up for it....a lot of them have these for locals but tourists don't usually do this...Do it, it's free and knocks off a nice chunk of the ridiculous prices (e.g $6 for a gallon of milk, $3 for a roll of paper towels...etc) You still will pay a lot more for groceries, but not quite as much...

:smooth:

We used points to stay at Kapalua and Mauna Lani this past April. Both
were spectacular rooms on the ocean. If this is a one time chance, don't
rule out the suggestion to visit 2 islands. If you can't do 2 weeks of
timeshares, Concierge is a great choice. We love both the Big Island
and Maui and could never miss either when we do Hawaii. If you can go
between Jan. and April, you'll enjoy the whale watching. (Our Kapalua
room view allowed us to whale watch from our lanai.) Even if you stay
elsewhere on the Big Island, I highly recommend walking the grounds
at Mauna Lani. There is much historic preservation there. I wish we had
enough points to go again this winter. Have a fabulous trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter