Hawaii

bray

Mouseketeer
We would like to use points to visit Hawaii (9 year old, husband, and myself). This will be our first trip to the islands and love to be near the ocean. Does anyone have any suggestions on resorts that are available to DVC members?

I believe we will need to go through Interval International. We will be using some banked points that are set to expire in January 2006 and will supplement that with other points to deposit one weeks worth of points. They said we could then determine a date and would have up to two years from teh date of deposit for travel. Is that correct?

We have to travel in July due to swim team and school. Unfortunately TX schools start the first week in August for teachers and second week for kids. We are also limited to school holidays throughout the year.

Thanks

Bray,

Sent you a PM with suggestions and info re: a direct owner exchange for HGVC.

Cheers,

If you prefer to go through II, it's often possible to make reservations at the Kona Coast on the Big Island. The facility is not on the water (you have to walk across a golf course) but it's nice. Remember, though, that the Kona side of Hawaii is technically a desert. In general, you go to the Big Island for exploration, volcanoes, plantations and the like, not for palm trees and tiki gods.

That's a tough order to match HI and use points that will expire in 4.5 months. Can you go early Dec this year, if so, that is likely your best bet. KCR is a good suggestion as it deposits 2 years out (most do so at a year) and it's easily available. I think you're better off simply renting the points unless you can work out the private exchange.

We did not expect to travel within 4.5 months. The way it was explained to us was to deposit 160 points (the points that are about to expire supplemented by 2005 use year points) and that would give us up to 2 years to try to find a match.

Has anyone ever done this?

Does anyone know anything about specific resorts?

How does renting points work? I think I looked into it last summer and they were about 10 per point. Is anyone really willing to pay that much?

Depending on the number of points you have at your disposal, you could always do one of the Concierge Collection. I don't consider that a good use of points, because it is very point pricey per day, but there isn't the search and find aspect that there is with II. I will agree with others here, that doing a direct exchange maybe with someone who owns a Hawaii timeshare through Timeshare Users Group etc, would be a good option. Be sure you research any trade by going to that resort's web site and looking at the reviews on TUG etc. There is a small fee for joining TUG, but well worth it if you are looking for a quick exchange.

Oh, and we did a weeks exchange to Kona Coast Resort and loved it. It is across the fairway from the water, but the sunsets are to die for! We also prefer the Big Island anyway, and I think a nine year old would like all the variety on that island as well. Next to the Big Island of Hawaii, we like Kauai best. I do think you should plan a few days on Oahu too to see the historic sites there, and also the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is a long flight, and I think a minimum of 2 weeks is required on ANY Hawaii trip. It always takes us a day or 2 to get used to the time change.

bray said:
We did not expect to travel within 4.5 months. The way it was explained to us was to deposit 160 points (the points that are about to expire supplemented by 2005 use year points) and that would give us up to 2 years to try to find a match.

Has anyone ever done this?

Does anyone know anything about specific resorts?

How does renting points work? I think I looked into it last summer and they were about 10 per point. Is anyone really willing to pay that much?
Most exchanges are done request first. That way you don't give up your points until they find a match. Most resorts deposit a 1 year out OR less. There are times of the year that are harder to get than others, many for HI are impossible. If you can travel during relative off times or take units many can't, like studios, you will have far more choices.

Only do a deposit first if you have no other reasonable choice.

Specific resorts for HI that are a good choice are the Marriott's, Westin, Embassy's and maybe Kona Coast. The rest are very risky and can be a poor value. When are you looking to travel, are you hopping to use FF miles, and how many in the party?

A studio would be just fine for the husband, 9 year old, and myself. Unfortuantely, we probably will need to limit our visit to one week.

A flight attendant friend suggested Maui. Also, Continental has direct flights from Houston. However, we also were open to the idea of maybe being able to get better fares or use One Pass miles from LA.

Again, we are looking at travelling either June 2006, July 2006 or even putting it off into the summer of 2007. Of course we would rather do 2006. I figured our Spring Break (one week at mid March would not be possible). You see as teachers we cannot miss the day before or day after a vacation unless documented by a physician.

bray said:
A studio would be just fine for the husband, 9 year old, and myself. Unfortuantely, we probably will need to limit our visit to one week.

A flight attendant friend suggested Maui. Also, Continental has direct flights from Houston. However, we also were open to the idea of maybe being able to get better fares or use One Pass miles from LA.

Again, we are looking at travelling either June 2006, July 2006 or even putting it off into the summer of 2007. Of course we would rather do 2006. I figured our Spring Break (one week at mid March would not be possible). You see as teachers we cannot miss the day before or day after a vacation unless documented by a physician.
In many cases, I would simply not go rather than only go for a week. IF you do the direct flight from Houston, it's hit or miss. Remember it's still some 7-8 hours each way with the return flights usually in the evening. If you've never been I'd try to do at least 2-3 days on Oahu to hit the highlights like the Arizona memorial, diamond head, etc. Then maybe a few days to a week on Maui. Usually FF miles for HI are difficult and must be scheduled at 330 days out to the date of departure.

Being able and willing to accept a studio will be a plus but at 134 points, is it worth if? You must decide. A 1 BR would certainly be a better value if you could get it. Do you have Marriott reward points, if so, that is likely your best option. Make sure you check in to package deals before you decide. The savings on air in the packages can frequently pay for itself. And even if you do a package and stay 9-10 days, you might still be able to do the week as a timeshare because most package deals only require 3 nights in a package hotel but don't limit you to when to return other than I think it's 30 days.

2007 would be better as many deposits occur at 12 months out and you've missed that window already. But no harm in trying if it works otherwise. I don't see anything sitting in the bank for next summer at II.

I totally agree with Dean about the time restraint. We did one week for our first Hawaii trip, and it was just too short. The 4-5 hour time difference is pretty hard to swallow when you have so few days to enjoy. I guess I would find a different location to use those points for now and plan on Hawaii when you can do 2 weeks or more.

Has anayone ever rented out their points? My concern is the form of payment and I guess the renter's concern is that they pay and then not get the points. I know it is a matter of trust but....it is a lot of money.

bray said:
Has anayone ever rented out their points? My concern is the form of payment and I guess the renter's concern is that they pay and then not get the points. I know it is a matter of trust but....it is a lot of money.
There are many threads on the subject. The bottom line is that if you require payment up front and rent out "current year" points early in your use year, the risk is negligible. Other situations may carry more risk but it is minimal and controllable.

Dean.... You have answered my Hawaii exchnage questions prev but this thread raises some new ones. I've had my Sept/Oct 2006 Hawaii request in since early July.. Reading this thread , am I correct in my understanding that owners will usually start depositing 12 months out. If so that gives me a good feeling that my request may become a reality. Should I keep following up with my request. I assume b/c you are a II owner that that is how you are able to see into II deposits..yes??

winniesgirl said:
Dean.... You have answered my Hawaii exchnage questions prev but this thread raises some new ones. I've had my Sept/Oct 2006 Hawaii request in since early July.. Reading this thread , am I correct in my understanding that owners will usually start depositing 12 months out. If so that gives me a good feeling that my request may become a reality. Should I keep following up with my request. I assume b/c you are a II owner that that is how you are able to see into II deposits..yes??
Yes, this is about the time you might become successful. The earlier you are looking, the more chances you have at more deposits. But remember it is not a first come/first serve system. Many may be entering the lines ahead of you even as we speak. Sept/Oct is a really great time to be looking for HI for many reasons.

And yes, as an II member I can search for what's sitting there on line. But remember that the highest demand times do not make it to online before they are matched to pending requests. The more weeks/resorts you give the better your chances of matching. Just make sure you will accept the choices you give them.

II members can deposit up to 2 years out but it depends on the contract which is resort or system specific. Most are 12 months out including floating week Marriott's (fixed week resorts are 18 months out). Some others are 18 months out and others 2 years out. At times II will allow Marriott members to deposit 13 months out if they already have a reservation but the contract says 12 months. Thus it's important to know how far out to expect a specific resort. If you want a resort that can deposit 2 years out, you should be looking 2 years out.

Don't forget that there are 2 independents that get a lot of HI deposits. These include San Francisco Exchange which gets a lot of Embassy and some Marriott. As well as Trading Places which gets One Napili way and I think the Whaler and Schooner. HTSE also gets Lawaii Beach Club but I'm not sure what else. I would definitely talk to all of them as well as Platinum Interchange and Donita's (now Dial an Exchange).

The others have answered your TS questions, so just wanted to pop in and say that if this is your first trip, do not go to the Big Island. Save that for a follow up trip. If you go to Kona first I think you'll be disappointed.

The Hawaii you're most familiar with by name of course is Oahu, where the capital Honolulu is located, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach. I'd highly recommend that as your first trip.

Maui is probably the most 'real' hawaii and is beautiful, and is a good 2nd choice for making it your 1st trip.

Save the Big Island for a later trip. As mentioned it's basically a desert.

Just an FYI on getting Maui exhanges...I called ms yesterday to inquire about status of my Hawaii request which was put in 7/22,for Sept/Oct 2006. Locations Maui , Marriott or Westin. I xpressed my concern on getting into Westin, ms said it is possible, but that Marriott most likely. But what I found encouraging was that ms said if Disney owners have hard time getting into a resort(s) then Disney drops them from the exchange list., so that does give me hope that some of us do get into the Westin.

winniesgirl said:
Just an FYI on getting Maui exhanges...I called ms yesterday to inquire about status of my Hawaii request which was put in 7/22,for Sept/Oct 2006. Locations Maui , Marriott or Westin. I xpressed my concern on getting into Westin, ms said it is possible, but that Marriott most likely. But what I found encouraging was that ms said if Disney owners have hard time getting into a resort(s) then Disney drops them from the exchange list., so that does give me hope that some of us do get into the Westin.
That's an interesting bit of information! Good to know.

winniesgirl said:
It sounds like they told you what you wanted to hear. While DVC has dropped exactly one resort from the list for lack of availability, it was essentially no availability at all within II, not based on whether the units went to DVC members or not and with no regard to WHEN (which weeks) were available. There were special circumstances with Atlantis Harborside which would have told any reasonable person that they should not expect an exchange there at least for a couple of years. DVC does tend to stay away from "limited availability" resorts. I would also question the idea that one would be more likely to get the Marriott than the Westin, at least unless one were looking specifically for a studio.

Late June and July are about the highest demand times and even members who own at the Maui Marriott (can't speak for Westin), have GREAT difficulty reserving during that time. I can point you to a former owner there who sold (I believe) due to that reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter