HEA viewing, do we really need to stake out a seat an hour or so early?

When are you going? If it's over April vacation, then probably. If it's in May, we found 30 minutes was long enough for a decent spot. If it's after SW opens, who knows!

an hour is a good idea over Spring Break. A good spot that is a little more protected is the grass in front of Casey's Corner.

We were there in October and found a spot a little over an hour before it started. It was already pretty full and people budged their way in right before it started. I would say one good tip is to hold your ground and find a spot behind or in front of an object. We were behind a trash can so when the CMs made everyone squeeze forward we stayed put. It also works if your in front of/behind a fence, but those spots get taken early. I felt really bad when the CMs made everyone move forward because we were all sitting on the ground in our spots comfy and there were some people near me in wheelchairs. They couldn't see once everyone stood up and pushed forward. I put that completely on the CMs because it was a peaceful environment until they forced everyone to move. I'm sure not every experience is like this, but Dh said no more watching the fireworks in front of the castle.

We were in the fenced garden area in front of Casey's this past week. We got right up next to the fence so that my kids would not have someone standing in front of them. We got there at 7:45, and there were a lot of people already in the garden area, but no one next to the fence. I am guessing this is because the area by the fence is concrete and the middle part is Astroturf? It wasn't comfy, but I was really nervous about not getting a good spot. We waited an age for the show to start, but we were ready for a break and out of Fastpasses, so it didn't seem like we were sacrificing anything. My kids both thought it was worth the wait! About 10-15 minutes before the show a cast member came into the garden and asked everyone to stand up. People moved a lot closer to us, but it helps so much having the fence as you can't be pushed out of your spot.

I would say one good tip is to hold your ground and find a spot behind or in front of an object. We were behind a trash can so when the CMs made everyone squeeze forward we stayed put.

Alternatively, you can find a spot far enough away that if a CM asks you to push forwards, you still have a good view.

I felt really bad when the CMs made everyone move forward because we were all sitting on the ground in our spots comfy and there were some people near me in wheelchairs. They couldn't see once everyone stood up and pushed forward. I put that completely on the CMs because it was a peaceful environment until they forced everyone to move.

I think that the CM are instructed to do this to make room for the incoming people who are looking to watch the fireworks. I understand that it's not pleasant for those folks who already have a spot, but I don't think the CM have a choice in the matter. I am pretty sure that it's WDW policy when the crowds keep coming and there are no open areas left.

Alternatively, you can find a spot far enough away that if a CM asks you to push forwards, you still have a good view.

I think that the CM are instructed to do this to make room for the incoming people who are looking to watch the fireworks. I understand that it's not pleasant for those folks who already have a spot, but I don't think the CM have a choice in the matter. I am pretty sure that it's WDW policy when the crowds keep coming and there are no open areas left.
And that’s why I’m excited to go to Japan where the people in the front politely sit and no one is asked to shove forward

If we want to view from the front of the castle?

Any recommendations for a good place to view this?
From the "Maps of WDW" Sticky Post always floating near the top of this forum...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a rough estimate of the Happily Ever After Fireworks viewing spots
on the south side of Cinderella Castle.
The projections presented on the castle facade can only be seen from this front side.

You also want to be able to see the spectacular show that is actually projected on the front of the Castle,
"Once Upon a Time," which is scheduled within an hour before and/or after the fireworks.

MK-HEA-Fireworks_112318_zps7dhh9wp8.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't wait more than 5 minutes for this very lackluster show, instead I would use the time to go on rides with much shorter wait times.

When did the fenced area in front of Casey’s open to public. I thought that was a reserved area for CL and VIP guests?

A small portion of the Plaza Garden West (the one in front of Casey’s) was used for the Trial CL program, but the reserved viewing part of the program ended back in Sept 2018). The Plaza Garden West will still occasionally be used in full or in part for special VIP viewing situations, but that is less less common. It’s usually fully open to all.

We were in the fenced garden area in front of Casey's this past week. We got right up next to the fence so that my kids would not have someone standing in front of them. We got there at 7:45, and there were a lot of people already in the garden area, but no one next to the fence. I am guessing this is because the area by the fence is concrete and the middle part is Astroturf? It wasn't comfy, but I was really nervous about not getting a good spot. We waited an age for the show to start, but we were ready for a break and out of Fastpasses, so it didn't seem like we were sacrificing anything. My kids both thought it was worth the wait! About 10-15 minutes before the show a cast member came into the garden and asked everyone to stand up. People moved a lot closer to us, but it helps so much having the fence as you can't be pushed out of your spot.
Wow I’m surprised the cast member asked you to stand up. I was there in Dec in the middle of Christmas Party season so the HEA evening were crowded. I got in the garden maybe 30-45 min early. People who filtered in were yelled at when the show started to sit down by other guests and whole garden was sitting. No cm came by. I wonder if this is a new thing they will be doing or if it just depends on the day.

Wow I’m surprised the cast member asked you to stand up. I was there in Dec in the middle of Christmas Party season so the HEA evening were crowded. I got in the garden maybe 30-45 min early. People who filtered in were yelled at when the show started to sit down by other guests and whole garden was sitting. No cm came by. I wonder if this is a new thing they will be doing or if it just depends on the day.

Just depends on the CM.

So it's better to stand in the gardens by Casey's corner bc people sit during the show? Sorry I'm just a little confused since I can't see it in person right now. Our first visit is in early May so I'm excited to figure out the best spots for my family.

So it's better to stand in the gardens by Casey's corner bc people sit during the show? Sorry I'm just a little confused since I can't see it in person right now. Our first visit is in early May so I'm excited to figure out the best spots for my family.
In the fenced-in "garden area" in front of Casey's Corner is generally a good place to watch the shows. (HEA and OUaT.)
In that area on most nights, some guests stand and some sit.
Some nights the area is very crowded.
Some nights it is less crowded.

I'll try to explain. It's a fenced-in area, but the area in front of the fence is open for people to stand too. People in the fenced area can sit while waiting, there is astroturf. But once the show begins, those in the front part of the fenced-in area can't see if they sit, because they have people outside the fence standing, so they have to stand. Once they stand, everyone behind has to stand too to be able to see. At least, that has been my experience watching HEA from this area. I still like this area because you can sit in the astroturf while you wait. You are not waiting standing up.

I will also say that I don't see much value in staking out a spot an hour in advance. The crowds are such that there will be people that will move in front of you right up to the show start. It's not like by arriving 1 hour early you get more room to spread. I'm vertically-challenged, so I prefer to wait a little bit and see if I can stand behind someone that I can see, like another shorter adult without an ipad or a kid to hoist up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter