• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

head hurts and fever in 3 year old?

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
My son woke up this morning and said his head hurt, he is 3. I didn't really think anything of it. As the day went on he felt a little warm to the tough so I took his temp and it was 100.3. He complained again of his head hurting him around 2:45 and now at 6:45 is temp is 101.1. I looked on the internet and it said that it is not common for 3 year olds to complain of their heads hurting. They said that there was a 3 year old that complained of his head hurting then he got a fever and started to throw up. Turns out he had viral meningitis. They did a spinal tap to figure that out. My son has not thrown up and he is acting fine. He has his bouts of energy and then clams down like normal. He is drinking and eating has normal. Has anyone else experienced their young child complaining of their head hurting? I am a worried now.

If you are worried, please call the doctor. Any good Doc will return an afer hours call Personally, I wouldn't waste time here for this type thing. If your gut tells you something is wrong, go to the ER. Hope everything turns out ok.

doctors - call em

when my oldest was 4 he had a fever and complaint of a headache - ended up with chicken pox

but as posted earlier please call your child's Doctor now

3 yr olds get headaches with the different viruses going around. In my experience meningitis headaches are totally different. The child is usually very sick and the pain is terrible. How is he acting? Is he lethargic? Have you given him any Tylenol and did it help? 101 temp isn't very high. I'd give him plenty of fluids and just keep an eye on him.

My DS has always gotten headaches even younger than 3 and he is 11 now. some kids are just prone to them.

You have to be careful what sites you read on the internet.

Thanks for all the replies. My son is acting like normal. I did call the after hours nurse and I am waiting for the call back. His fever now is 100.8. He is very tired but it is 8:00pm here.

DGS ( 3) has a head-ache when he is getting a sinus infection. He has allergies that sometimes end up as sinus infections. Our doctors alway say to watch your child, not the temp. A lower temp but a child that acts really sick is a bigger concern that a higher temp and a child that is playing fine. Good you called the doctor, and glad he is feeling better.

Sinus pressure? Ear infection? Sinus infection? Any coughing or drainage? Pollen count is really up this year and causing symptoms in those who don't normally have symptoms.

Hope he's feeling better.

Of course toddlers get headaches - sinus infections, ear infections, throat, virus, flu, etc. My kids have told us about headaches ("My head hurts") since before they were 2 years old. My toddler has a bad history of ear infections, allergies and asthma (ear tubes/adenoids removed), and he gets frequent headaches due to these ailments.

Good luck, Tiger

Thanks again for the replies. No call back from the nurse yet. I know I should stay off the internet in terms of medical use. His fever is down as of right now and it never made it over 101.1. I guess I was thrown for a loop when I read that 3 year olds do not typically say their heads hurt unless they hear an adult say it.:confused3

My 6 year old had a virus last week with a fever and headache..only symptoms. Was going around her school.

Call the doctor. Can't hurt.

Yes, stay off the internet! It'll drive you nuts! Not that I'd know from experience or anything...:rolleyes1

Hope your son feels better real soon!

you called your doctor before 8:05pm and at 9:46 pm,over an hour & 45 minutes ago and they still had NOT called you back yet!! - wow i would never accept that.

All kids are different, about they only way we could ever tell if our oldest was hurt or sick was if he was bleeding massively, had a deformity due to broken bone or basically hit a wall and dropped, He just has a very high tolerance for discomfort and pain.

I'm sure its just a virus or an ear or sinus infection but I hope you hear from his doctor soon.

I hope he's feeling better. My daughter complained a couple of weeks ago about her head hurting and she had an ear infection. Hopefully, he had a restful night.

Well I did not hear back from the nurse until 10:30.........not very thrilled about it but at least she called. She did not seem very concerned that he was complaining of his head hurting as long as he was acting like normal, was drinking fluids and his fever stayed as low as it was. She said to give him some tylenol and try to get him to settle down.............it was 10:30, he was already sleeping. He slept fine and while he was sleeping I took his temp and it was right around normal. Thanks for all the replies. They are all very much appreciated.

if his throat hurts too he could have strep! Hope he feels better soon!

Hope he's feeling better.

Of course toddlers get headaches - sinus infections, ear infections, throat, virus, flu, etc. My kids have told us about headaches ("My head hurts") since before they were 2 years old. My toddler has a bad history of ear infections, allergies and asthma (ear tubes/adenoids removed), and he gets frequent headaches due to these ailments.

Good luck, Tiger

2nd this..My daughter has complained of them when she is sick since she was 3 or 4 .

101 is a low fever for children. It sounds like a typical virus. If he's not complaining much, I wouldn't medicate a low fever.

If it makes you feel better, my ds had nearly the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. This is what I wrote on my mommy's board:

"Ds (4.5) woke up very early Thursday morning with a headache. He's never ever complained about one before. He was afebrile. Wasn't crying or anything. I figured maybe he'd slept wrong or poorly, put him back to bed. He got up again at the normal hour, seemed fine.

Thursday I picked him up around 5pm from school. The teacher said that around 4p he started to act like he was sick, laid down on a padded bench, asked for his sweatshirt. He seemed hot. She didn't call because she knew I'd be there soon. I took him home and he had a fever, complained again of a headache. He had no other symptoms, and no neck pain, so we weren't too worried. We gave him some ibuprofen.

He's had a fever nonstop since then. When not on ibuprofen he seems really sick, just wants to lay on the couch. Hasn't complained of a headache since Thursday. Was complaining of a stomachache yesterday and today. Has some nasal congestion, no discharge, and a dry, occasional cough. Isn't eating much, but is drinking ok so I'm not concerned about dehydration. This morning he had explosive diarrhea, no clue if that's part of what's going on or a by-product of having mostly liquid in his system and not much else. "

He ended up having a fever for 5 days, besides the initial complaint of headache and then some diarrhea that was it. We medicated only for comfort, ibuprofen because it lasts longer. And pushed fluids; popsicles, juices, etc.

FWIW, the initial complaint of 'headache' worried me too!

I hope your little one is better soon! :goodvibes

If it makes you feel better, my ds had nearly the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. This is what I wrote on my mommy's board:

"Ds (4.5) woke up very early Thursday morning with a headache. He's never ever complained about one before. He was afebrile. Wasn't crying or anything. I figured maybe he'd slept wrong or poorly, put him back to bed. He got up again at the normal hour, seemed fine.

Thursday I picked him up around 5pm from school. The teacher said that around 4p he started to act like he was sick, laid down on a padded bench, asked for his sweatshirt. He seemed hot. She didn't call because she knew I'd be there soon. I took him home and he had a fever, complained again of a headache. He had no other symptoms, and no neck pain, so we weren't too worried. We gave him some ibuprofen.

He's had a fever nonstop since then. When not on ibuprofen he seems really sick, just wants to lay on the couch. Hasn't complained of a headache since Thursday. Was complaining of a stomachache yesterday and today. Has some nasal congestion, no discharge, and a dry, occasional cough. Isn't eating much, but is drinking ok so I'm not concerned about dehydration. This morning he had explosive diarrhea, no clue if that's part of what's going on or a by-product of having mostly liquid in his system and not much else. "

He ended up having a fever for 5 days, besides the initial complaint of headache and then some diarrhea that was it. We medicated only for comfort, ibuprofen because it lasts longer. And pushed fluids; popsicles, juices, etc.

FWIW, the initial complaint of 'headache' worried me too!

I hope your little one is better soon! :goodvibes

Thanks........he seems to be fine now. Not sure what was going on yesterday. :confused3

My 4 yr old ds & 19 yr old dd just had the same thing only they had stomach pains too. The headache & fever of 101 did have me worried for a bit. It seems to be going around everywhere. I live in Pa & a friends son in Mass. had the same thing.

My 7 year old DD just had this last week too. The only symptoms were headache and low fever. Its definitely going around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter