• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Headed to WDW with elderly aunt - WC from park or outside company?

debbiemomto4

Mouseketeer
HEaded to WDW for 10 days on 12/28 and taking my 79 yo aunt with us. She will love it but she walks very slow with a cane so we figured she will need a wc. We have gotten one before before for ds but cringe at thinking we will need two possibly. He is going to try walking so we will see if that works.
Should I rent at park or an outside vendor what happens if the wc comes up missing. That happened to us last time at HM at MK but it was there wc.

Also side question how old do you have to be to get an ECV? I know DD got one once but she was 16 with a permit already.
I also know its going to be so crowded so I cringe at that too!

Thanks!

I've always thought you had to be 16 y/o before they'd rent you an ECV (at least from Disney), but I just found this on the lower left side on Apple Scooters site:

*** Please allow a 1 Hour Window from Delivery Time (i.e. 8AM - 9AM) for Delivery not to a listed hotel in above DropBox .

Rentals are available to qualified customers only.Minimum drivers age is 18 years old. Rentals are subject to availability.

I believe I've heard that Randy's will rent to a teen though, but the teen must be used to driving his own ECV and the guy that delivers it will check out their capability.

We will stick with a wc if he needs one then. Figured someone would know. DD was 16 and we rented hers through Disney at one of the parks. She had been newly dx with crohn's then and it was affecting her legs.
My aunt won't try an ECV at all so we might just rent from Apple.

If you are staying at a WDW resort the resort will provide a wheelchair for you free of charge. They did that for us at POR for our trip last year.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

gr8tdame said:
If you are staying at a WDW resort the resort will provide a wheelchair for you free of charge. They did that for us at POR for our trip last year.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The resort wheelchairs are first come first served and are technically only for use at the resort. You as not supposed to take them to the parks. Also they tend to be in poor condition. They are more for if a person is injured at a resort and needs the chair suddenly.

I would rent from an outside company. The outside companies have chairs that are easier to push and can be adjusted. Park wheelchairs do not have adjustable armrests or footrests.

Also it can be a very long walk from either the tram or bus to the wheelchair rental. No sense tiring out your aunt before you even get going.

You must be 18 to rent as ECV from Disney or pretty much any outside company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter