Heads up! If planning a stay at Universal's Cabana Bay, make sure to check-in before hand if you don't want to wait 2 hours!

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
I just wanted to warn anyone going to Cabana Bay to make sure they do advanced check-in. We unfortunately could not do it in advance because the system kept bugging. We arrived at hotel after a long flight at 5PM and saw a 2 hours wait to check into the hotel. The line went around the entire lobby. We tried waiting a couple of hours while we had dinner but when we got back around 9PM it had the same wait time. There were only three people at the counter for a line of 150 people. It was completely ridiculous. I've never waited that long at any hotel. It was extremely frustrating and made me regret staying at Cabana Bay. We had 4 young kids with us and by the time we got our room, we all were exhausted. The lady at the counter was not even appologetic. In fact she was downright rude when I asked her why it took so long. Anyway, the advanced check-in line was a much more reasonable wait of 30 min. so make sure you do that.

As a side note, I did enjoy my stay at Cabana Bay overall but I most probably will never stay there again after that experience.

Well, while I`m so glad to hear you had a good stay, that`s a dreadful check in experience you went through. I`m sorry you had to wait for such a long time.

Good advice for doing the advanced check in.

Well, while I`m so glad to hear you had a good stay, that`s a dreadful check in experience you went through. I`m sorry you had to wait for such a long time.

Good advice for doing the advanced check in.
Thanks! It was a great vacation anyway!

Yeah, it was bad once when I checked in, think it was a convention that time. I'm not sure everyone gets the email to check in online ahead of time though. I haven't always gotten the chance.

We booked CB thru a UT package and did not get an email for mobile checkin. Arrived 3pm on a Sunday and waited about 45 mins to check in. I had researched this beforehand so at least family was prepared.

We won’t have online check in but will be moving over there from another resort so are flexible what time we check in and leave bags.
wondering if there’s a good time?

We won’t have online check in but will be moving over there from another resort so are flexible what time we check in and leave bags.
wondering if there’s a good time?
When we were there in September there was a long line when we arrived around 2:30pm. We left our bags and headed out, came back around 8:30pm no one there. If its bad just ask at luggage counter when they think the line will be better.

I just wanted to warn anyone going to Cabana Bay to make sure they do advanced check-in. We unfortunately could not do it in advance because the system kept bugging. We arrived at hotel after a long flight at 5PM and saw a 2 hours wait to check into the hotel. The line went around the entire lobby. We tried waiting a couple of hours while we had dinner but when we got back around 9PM it had the same wait time. There were only three people at the counter for a line of 150 people. It was completely ridiculous. I've never waited that long at any hotel. It was extremely frustrating and made me regret staying at Cabana Bay. We had 4 young kids with us and by the time we got our room, we all were exhausted. The lady at the counter was not even appologetic. In fact she was downright rude when I asked her why it took so long. Anyway, the advanced check-in line was a much more reasonable wait of 30 min. so make sure you do that.

As a side note, I did enjoy my stay at Cabana Bay overall but I most probably will never stay there again after that experience.
I don't understand why they haven't implemented a better check in system. Like letting phones let people into the room if they are checked in already. I'll add on to your last point. I always have a great time at Universal....AFTER check in. Check in is the worst.

When we were there in September there was a long line when we arrived around 2:30pm. We left our bags and headed out, came back around 8:30pm no one there. If its bad just ask at luggage counter when they think the line will be better.

thanks was thinking of sending the husband over earlier in the morning before we check out at dockside.

45 minutes, in July, WITH online check-in. Only at Cabana Bay. No issues at other resorts.

Leaving your bags and coming back to check in later is a creative idea but they may not have many rooms left making it hard get a room request accommodated.

I have never bothered with room requests. I have been upgraded several times when arriving early - was upgraded from a standard room to an exterior entry family suite (I was solo and didn't need a suite but it was 10 AM so I took it). I have also been upgraded to a pool view room which I didn't like. Next trip SW changed my flight to arrive at MCO by 8 AM so it will be interesting. Hoping there are not a lot of people checking out at that time.

I have never bothered with room requests. I have been upgraded several times when arriving early - was upgraded from a standard room to an exterior entry family suite (I was solo and didn't need a suite but it was 10 AM so I took it). I have also been upgraded to a pool view room which I didn't like. Next trip SW changed my flight to arrive at MCO by 8 AM so it will be interesting. Hoping there are not a lot of people checking out at that time.

Last summer we arrived around 8am after a super early flight and the lobby was dead. I believe it was a Tuesday. That being said, we did not get into a room early. We never got our room ready text until after official check in time.

So we are there in August. We have 4 nights at Portofino, then 3 at Cabana bay. Can we wake up the morning we check out of Portofino, have them store our bags. Then I'd like to go to Cabana bay as early as possible (8am) check in (don't care if we have access to a room yet) go to the parks and then just come back to our room later in the evening to avoid the lineup? In this imaginary situation, how would we get room keys? Would I still need to get in a long line for that?

So we are there in August. We have 4 nights at Portofino, then 3 at Cabana bay. Can we wake up the morning we check out of Portofino, have them store our bags. Then I'd like to go to Cabana bay as early as possible (8am) check in (don't care if we have access to a room yet) go to the parks and then just come back to our room later in the evening to avoid the lineup? In this imaginary situation, how would we get room keys? Would I still need to get in a long line for that?
You'll get your Cabana Bay keys when you check in even if the room isn't ready yet 👍

You may want to take your bags with you and store them at Cabana Bay. If everything goes well, they should be able to give you room keys when you check in and just text you the room number. (In my experience this doesn’t always work and may need a return trip to the desk).

Oh that's awesome! Great:) any advice on when is best to go to avoid a lineup? Is 8 am best, or is there a lineup for checkout then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter