Healthy Cooking 4/18 -- Small steps

Hello!

It's been pretty hectic at work so I haven't had time to try out any new recipes before recommending them. Sorry :(

But I thought since I don't have that much to share maybe you all could help and contribute to something I am calling small steps.

For most of us, healthier living is a lifestyle goal and a life-long commitment. As they say, a journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. So, realizing that we can't change overnight, what are some of the small steps you are taking from an eating/cooking perspective to continue on this journey?

Some of the things I've done --

• Use spinach instead of lettuce on a sandwich. I buy a bag of spinach each week and add that to my sandwich. Boosts my iron intake, adds a veggie to the sandwich, and doesn't really require a process change (sorry -- work is intruding!) since I usually add lettuce to a sandwich anyway.
  • Add grated carrots to tuna or chicken salad. I learned this trick when DD was a wee one and wasn't all that interested in eating carrots. Finely grate them and add them to the mix. Gives a new taste to the tuna or chicken without drastically changing the texture.
  • Chicken broth. Man, I use this for so much now. It really does add flavor and provide moisture to everything from mashed potatoes to stir-fry to rice. I don't miss the butter.
  • Baking with applesauce. It really does work and I think it give the baked good added moisture and density. There are some things I will always use butter for but for cakes and cupcakes (especially from a mix), I don't use anything but applesauce now.

Each one of these small steps help me begin to realize the end result of my journey. It gives me a healthier substitute and allows me to stay on track.

So how about you? What have you been doing from a cooking/eating perspective to keep yourself moving forward towards your goal? Share some of your tips!

Jeanne

One thing I do is if a recipe calls for milk use skim milk. I get super skim and you can't tell the difference. If it calls for butter like in a noodle package of mac n cheese I use parkay or I can't believe it's not butter spray instead.

If the recipe calls to put oil in sometimes it can be left out or if it is something that prevents meat from sticking to a skillet I use Pam in place or the couple of tablespoons of oil.

ALso I tend to leave salt out of some things. It really doen't cange much of the flavor at all!!

I started using ground turkey instead of ground beef. When I make meatloaf, I use a mix of ground beef and turkey. For chili, meatballs, or sloppy joes, I use all turkey. To me, there is no taste difference. But the ground turkey doesn't *brown* like beef - it turns a pale color as it cooks. It doesn't matter if it is mixed with sauce, but looks a little yucky when it is plain (that's why I mix it with the ground beef when it's not covered in a sauce).

Debra

Another hint: Many foods that are labeled "low fat" or "no fat" actually have MUCH more sugar to make up for the taste! Read the labels before you buy these products, because they could be worse for you than the regular kind! (i.e., sour cream, salad dressings) The extra sugar will put on weight faster (or keep you from losing) than the extra fat!

:D

I have been trying out and using all of the different versions of PAM.
I rarely ever use butter or oil in my skillet anymore when cooking.
The PAM site has some great recipes too!

My favorite is for a taco salad in a tortilla bowl. Most of the tortilla bowl that are served in restaurants are fried and thus high in calories & fat.

I make my own tortilla bowls by spraying a large flour tortilla with PAM and then put it in a large bowl (also sprayed w/PAM). Put a wad of foil in the middle of the tortilla to help it keep its shape and then bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
They're great!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter