Hearing Impaired individual

considering CMs are not allowed to use guest phones to take pictures, I don't see this being a thing for them

Yep, totally forgot that in the current situation, CMs are not allowed to touch Guest phones - to take a picture, or for any other reason.

If you wanted to use the EmergencyChat app I mentioned above, you could hold the phone out so that they could still use dictation, I suppose?

A CM would not be able to touch/use a Guest supplied whiteboard + marker, either - or pen & paper, etc.

An iPad or tablet with speech recognition might be the way to go, to help with the "hands free" CM issue.

Thanks for the info.

I will wait on schedule for interpreters as we get closer since that could change. My biggest concern is having to lower my mask so I can tell her things. Or if she is not with me, what to get so she can ask CMs to lower their mask.
You only need to schedule interpreters for things such as Hoop Dee Doo and the Luau or backstage tours. For in parks rides and shows there is a set schedule for different parks which you can get a guest services. Unless they have changed it Magic Kingdom is interpreted Mon and Thur, Epcot Friday, AK Tues and Sat and HS Weds and Sun.

You only need to schedule interpreters for things such as Hoop Dee Doo and the Luau or backstage tours. For in parks rides and shows there is a set schedule for different parks which you can get a guest services. Unless they have changed it Magic Kingdom is interpreted Mon and Thur, Epcot Friday, AK Tues and Sat and HS Weds and Sun.

I was disappointed with my response from Guest Services. They only gave me very generic information and said to check their web site. I had checked the web site but was still a little confused.
Here are my specific questions and hope DISers can answer.
1. Do the hand held captioning devices work well and will it be easy for us to get? Do we just get one for our entire stay and use it all the parks or will we need to get one for each park?
2. If I ask for a hearing accessible room is it guaranteed or considered a "request only"?

Thanks in advance

Did you contact regular Guest Services, or the Disability Services line? I recommend going through Disability Services as they've always been helpful for us. It's possible interpreters are not currently available; I'm not sure how that may have been impacted by COVID closures and the limited re-opening.
For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.
And I found this email address for an schedule of interpreters:
The schedule of interpreted performances is updated on a weekly basis. You can obtain a current schedule by e-mailing WDPRsignlanguageservices@disney.com.

1. Several years ago, we used a hearing assisted device one year for DD. We didn't have very good luck with it, the audio wasn't always in-sync with the shows, sometimes it was static-y or didn't come through clear. Hopefully something has improved since then. (Or maybe it was user-error, we were new to hearing issues for DD.) You "rent" it at Guest Relations each day, and return it the same day before leaving the park. They take your credit card info for a refundable deposit but I don't believe they put through a charge unless you don't return the equipment. I believe this would be the same for the hand-held captioning device but I don't have experience with that one.

2. If you book a hearing accessible resort room, it is guaranteed. If you request one, you may be at the mercy of what's available. I have read you can request a Room Communication Kit but I'm not sure that I've ever read a report from anyone who did so.

Last edited:
WDW News Today has an article dated April 19, 2020
Guide to Accessibility at Walt Disney World
I just googled and found it online....
Obviously some of this won’t be current but very helpful article.

Did you contact regular Guest Services, or the Disability Services line? I recommend going through Disability Services as they've always been helpful for us. It's possible interpreters are not currently available; I'm not sure how that may have been impacted by COVID closures and the limited re-opening.
For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.
And I found this email address for an schedule of interpreters:
The schedule of interpreted performances is updated on a weekly basis. You can obtain a current schedule by e-mailing WDPRsignlanguageservices@disney.com.

1. Several years ago, we used a hearing assisted device one year for DD. We didn't have very good luck with it, the audio wasn't always in-sync with the shows, sometimes it was static-y or didn't come through clear. Hopefully something has improved since then. (Or maybe it was user-error, we were new to hearing issues for DD.) You "rent" it at Guest Relations each day, and return it the same day before leaving the park. They take your credit card info for a refundable deposit but I don't believe they put through a charge unless you don't return the equipment. I believe this would be the same for the hand-held captioning device but I don't have experience with that one.

2. If you book a hearing accessible resort room, it is guaranteed. If you request one, you may be at the mercy of what's available. I have read you can request a Room Communication Kit but I'm not sure that I've ever read a report from anyone who did so.

I did send the email to Disability Services but my response came from Guest Services. As far as the resort, I will call this week to add that to my reservation. When I booked, I was able to get the military discount but nothing was said about booking a hearing accessible room.
I will send an email to the sign language services which I didn't know existed. But, I am thinking with limited or no shows, there may not be a set schedule.

My daughter is hearing impaired and we are going back to WDW in December. The clear window masks are SO hot and foggy :( Please post if you find a solution that works for you and I hope you have a magical time.

My daughter is hearing impaired and we are going back to WDW in December. The clear window masks are SO hot and foggy :( Please post if you find a solution that works for you and I hope you have a magical time.
I will let you know about the clear masks. My daughter works with a lot of interpreters and is checking with those that use them to see which ones they find work.
Guest Services (not disability services) emailed me again and gave a slightly better explanation about the captioning devices.

In normal-er times it might be just enough to put "I read Lips" on a WDW Button. CMs seem to scan those automatically. But with the pandemic ... hrm...

I did send the email to Disability Services but my response came from Guest Services. As far as the resort, I will call this week to add that to my reservation. When I booked, I was able to get the military discount but nothing was said about booking a hearing accessible room.
I will send an email to the sign language services which I didn't know existed. But, I am thinking with limited or no shows, there may not be a set schedule.

Yes there is still a set schedule for interpreters. They should email it to you when you request it. The website shows the following:
They gave me a schedule for a week in November (which was when I asked) and the times are still the same. I was at AK one Saturday in February and the bird show was still a 1:30pm show for the interpreters. They only do one or two shows a day.

We just got back almost 2 weeks ago.

The handheld device is a $25 deposit, you get it in the morning and turn it in by the end of the day. If you forget to hand it in they just want it turned in ASAP. You are supposed to get a new one daily and honestly they have limited battery life so it wouldn't live for multiple days anyway. If you have a credit card ready and hop into guest services first thing they can usually process it quickly but I will say some of the people will know of the item, but have never given one out before which can add a minute. Keep the receipt- they want it to process your refund.

There is a single device and they have to select a setting so it either is hearing assistance and works with headphones, OR can be set to closed caption and will work like subtitles. You have to be clear which version you want or they will assume headphones. It isn't timed perfectly, but my son found it completely magical because we've never gotten the device before and he had no idea how much he had been missing. One extra cool thing- if you are doing subtitles it is activated by location and will switch on during rides but you can also preview. He sat through lunch a couple times scrolling through ride options and reading the scripts.

I just received the current schedule for interpreters.
HS - Frozen Sing-Along show Sun and Wed at 3:30 pm Check in with CM at stand-by entrance. Arrive at least 20 min in advance
MK - Jungle Cruise Mon and Thurs at 1:00 pm. Meet interpreter at wheelchair entrance/exit. Arrive 15 min in advance
AK - Feathered friends in flight Tues and Sat at 1:30 pm. Arrive at least 20 min in advance. See host/hostess at entrance.

We just got back from our trip. Most things worked out fine. Here are specifics.
Room communication kit consists of a TTY only. I tried explaining that most deaf/HOH don't use that. The CM said well this one was very old and it's never been opened.
Device in parks. Wish there was a better way to actually get the device. Lines at Guest Services can be long and it often took us awhile to get the device. It worked "OK". You can either watch the device or watch what's going on with the ride or show. She used it once in MK, HW and AK. After that she said it just wasn't worth it.
Interpreters at the shows were great. Same one did Jungle Cruise and bird show. The show had a 2nd one also. They were very friendly and personable.
CMs at the resort were great. They got to recognize my daughter when she went to the bar. Depending on crowds there, they would lower their mask and back way up or write things out.
Clear masks. I ordered mine from Etsy and the person who made them was a furloughed CM and related to an interpreter. I had recommendations for a couple of items that would help with fogging. Nothing helped with the heat. By the 2nd day, I had sores on my nose and chin. Seam rubbed my chin and plastic stuck to my nose. The humidity hade it extremely hot and it would end up full of moisture. I would try to switch out with a cloth mask and got good at doing it without anyone noticing. I will say that several CMs stopped me and said that they wished they could wear one. There are better options that my daughter and interpreters she works with use but Disney doesn't accept that style.

They make face masks with a clear window over the mouth so she could see your lips. I havent used them, just something I saw on amazon.
They are actually very unsafe from what I have read and depending on the CM may not be allowed.

Disney's rules clearly allows for the lowering of masks for communication with those that are hearing impaired. So, I would have a print out of such rules with Disney's website address printed on it and if anyone takes issue, show it to them.

Did they have flashing lights and a flashing door knocker in the rooms? We wouldn't use the tty anyway since we have the Video Phone on our mobile devices.

Did they have flashing lights and a flashing door knocker in the rooms? We wouldn't use the tty anyway since we have the Video Phone on our mobile devices.
When I visited with this daughter in 2011, they brought us the door knocker and lights. This trip the CM said all they had was the TTY. I've sent a message to the disability office letting them know of our disappointment. One of the CMs I spoke to on the phone said I should have requested an accessible room.

There are hearing accessible rooms, which have the lights and the door bell and everything. In the future it may be something to consider.

Okay, thanks. We did reserve a hearing accessible room. I had to pay for a higher tiered room though. I asked about a standard room at Boardwalk Inn and I was told there were no hearing accessible rooms available, but there was one available for a garden view. Not each room category will have a hearing accessible room.

My younger brother is also deaf. Thank goodness the pandemic is over cause sometimes it is so tiring to deal with all these problems. Wearing masks, fewer job opportunities and etc. I own a podcast, so I always make sure it is accessible to deaf people by using podcast transcription services. There are many things that ordinary people don't have to deal with. But I very much hope that the pandemic will not return. However, he and I are traveling to WDW and we were thinking, about whether WDW workers know the ASL language or whether should we use speech-to-text apps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter