• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! June 2014 (Update: Video)

Highlight Video

So between my camera, Stephanie's camera, my phone, and PhotoPass, we ended up with over 6,000 photos. I shared only a fraction of them on this TR, but it was a LOT of fun picking out some of my favorites.

In addition to the photos, we also took two or three hours of video throughout the week. I put together a quick "highlight reel" showcasing some of more interesting moments from the TR. It's nothing fancy, no music, just a series of short clips using the "Bulletin Board" template in iMovie. It's about 7 minutes long.

I took a screen shot to make it look like a "player" but, you'll just need to click on the photo to open the YouTube video in a new window.

I hope you enjoy it!

And stay tuned for a final "thoughts" update and a few notes about our next Disney vacation plans.

I enjoyed this so much. Thank you for sharing! I felt like I was in the most magical place again!

Though I'm not at all new to Disney, I'm new to these boards, and therefore new to reading trip reports. That being said, I have to tell you that this one has been one of my favorites so far. You have a beautiful family (Pickle is just insanely adorable) and the photos you take are gorgeous! I enjoyed so much following along with your vacation. I remember the first (and only, so far!) time that I stayed at the GF. It was a gift from my grandparents to our family and it was simply the most magical experience of my life so far. I'm glad that your family got to enjoy it, and I thank you for letting us be a part of your trip!

That video was fantastic! I'm sure you had fun reliving the trip putting it together.

Really awesome trip report, Matt and Stephanie!

Just got caught up on your last evening at MK. Pretty busy here with a little mini trip over last weekend and grandkiddies back to school ect..... Oh my goodness you took some gorgeous picture of MK at night , just incredible!!! As a disney world night owl myself this is when we always love all the parks so of course I love love the pictures. It's going to be interesting going in November as most nights the parks are closed by 9 pm ... And we've only been to the parks in the morning a handful of time in 30 years so we gotta get with the program and get going early. I love your firework pictures from the dock beautiful as well and thinking your a better photographer than you give yourself credit ... Amazing : )

Thank you for writing such a great trip report. I didn't comment through out but I really enjoyed reading it! What a wonderful trip you had!

Loved the YouTube video of your families trip, and again it's just amazing every moment caught of camera Wow very special! It's been a pleasure reading Stephanie and yours trip report : ) Looking forward to your final thoughts but my thought is what a beautiful family & incredible memorable summer vacation

Thank you for the wonderful trip report. I have two DD ages 20 and 26. Watching the interaction between Princess and Pickle reminded me of all the great times we had at WDW. There is nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of a child and seeing Pickle's reactions and faces was priceless.

Great last update! I really enjoyed this TR. I hope your family has another fun adventure planned soon. :)

Love the highlights video!
It has been so much fun to follow along on your PTR and then read about your trip! :goodvibes

I'm another one who enjoyed your TR. I read the whole dang thang ( which I rarely do). My DH is another one who has a "system" for packing the car. Just shoot me! Nicely done video, too. Stephanie is so pretty. Keep me on your notification list for the next trip. :) Hope the kiddos have a good school year.

I have to tell you, I absolutely loved your trip report! It seemed a very magical trip for your family. It's so nice that your parents love coming to Disney with you guys too. What great memories for your kids. The video brought the trip report together so nicely, Pickle looking at herself in the mirror at BBB was my favorite part! So sweet! I loved everyone's reactions after the Mine Train too. Thanks again for taking the time to do this, I enjoyed it so much!

Absolutely loved your trip report! Your family is so beautiful both inside and out based on the wonderful pictures you take and the numerous acts of kindness reported. I'm glad you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing. You and your wife include a ton of helpful and fun tips!

Though I'm not at all new to Disney, I'm new to these boards, and therefore new to reading trip reports. That being said, I have to tell you that this one has been one of my favorites so far. You have a beautiful family (Pickle is just insanely adorable) and the photos you take are gorgeous! I enjoyed so much following along with your vacation. I remember the first (and only, so far!) time that I stayed at the GF. It was a gift from my grandparents to our family and it was simply the most magical experience of my life so far. I'm glad that your family got to enjoy it, and I thank you for letting us be a part of your trip!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading through the TR. :thumbsup2

That video was fantastic! I'm sure you had fun reliving the trip putting it together.

Really awesome trip report, Matt and Stephanie!

Thanks a bunch! Yes, it was indeed fun putting it together. And I thought it would be fun for people to see a little bit of our personalities as a compliment to all the photos :)

Just got caught up on your last evening at MK. Pretty busy here with a little mini trip over last weekend and grandkiddies back to school ect..... Oh my goodness you took some gorgeous picture of MK at night , just incredible!!! As a disney world night owl myself this is when we always love all the parks so of course I love love the pictures. It's going to be interesting going in November as most nights the parks are closed by 9 pm ... And we've only been to the parks in the morning a handful of time in 30 years so we gotta get with the program and get going early. I love your firework pictures from the dock beautiful as well and thinking your a better photographer than you give yourself credit ... Amazing : )

Thanks Disney Meema! The nice thing about visiting in November if you like spending time in the evening, is that it gets dark sooner :cool1: And it's not as hot. And it's not as crowded. :rotfl2:

Thank you for writing such a great trip report. I didn't comment through out but I really enjoyed reading it! What a wonderful trip you had!

Thanks littlenellbell! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! :hippie:

Loved the YouTube video of your families trip, and again it's just amazing every moment caught of camera Wow very special! It's been a pleasure reading Stephanie and yours trip report : ) Looking forward to your final thoughts but my thought is what a beautiful family & incredible memorable summer vacation

As always, thanks for the thoughtful comments and compliments. :lovestruc

Thank you for the wonderful trip report. I have two DD ages 20 and 26. Watching the interaction between Princess and Pickle reminded me of all the great times we had at WDW. There is nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of a child and seeing Pickle's reactions and faces was priceless.

Thanks marryfrmtx for chiming in. Boy does time fly. This is a good reminder to cherish this time, as they grow up and won't always be able to go on vacations with us. (They'll be in their 20's soon enough!) But, hopefully we'll be able to continue the tradition that my parents started and go on a WDW trip with them every few years. :goodvibes

Great last update! I really enjoyed this TR. I hope your family has another fun adventure planned soon. :)

Thanks Kelley! It's been nice having you follow along and interacting wit you :hippie:

Love the highlights video!
It has been so much fun to follow along on your PTR and then read about your trip! :goodvibes

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting caught back up with your PTR and then following along with the final TR when you get it started :cool1:

I'm another one who enjoyed your TR. I read the whole dang thang ( which I rarely do). My DH is another one who has a "system" for packing the car. Just shoot me! Nicely done video, too. Stephanie is so pretty. Keep me on your notification list for the next trip. :) Hope the kiddos have a good school year.

Thanks SusieBea. I'm glad that you found it interesting enough to read the whole "dang thang" :rotfl2: Hahaha. And thanks for the compliments.

Thank you for sharing your vacation with us! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

Thanks JAMIESMITH. I appreciate the feedback!

I have to tell you, I absolutely loved your trip report! It seemed a very magical trip for your family. It's so nice that your parents love coming to Disney with you guys too. What great memories for your kids. The video brought the trip report together so nicely, Pickle looking at herself in the mirror at BBB was my favorite part! So sweet! I loved everyone's reactions after the Mine Train too. Thanks again for taking the time to do this, I enjoyed it so much!

Thanks AlexLovesCats. Yes, I'm lucky that Stephane, my mom, and my Dad are also huge Disney fans. Cassie is certainly a fan too, but not quite at the obsessive level that we are. :thumbsup2

Hi disneyshea! :hippie:

Sounds great! :)

Thanks Viledas :wizard:

Absolutely loved your trip report! Your family is so beautiful both inside and out based on the wonderful pictures you take and the numerous acts of kindness reported. I'm glad you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing. You and your wife include a ton of helpful and fun tips!

Thanks ajsary! I'm glad that you were enjoyed the trip report and found some tips :hippie:

Final Thoughts

This ended up being one of my all time favorite WDW trips!

A huge thanks to my mom and dad for being the best! They have been beyond generous with their finances and personal attention through the years, and they went above and beyond to ensure that this trip was magical for the entire family. I don't know how we are ever going to top this one!!! And thanks to Stephanie for helping me write this TR too! It's way more fun to do as a family thing :-)

We did so many neat things with the extended family, and the Grand Floridian turned out to be incredibly amazing. I was a bit concerned that I'd find it a little too "uppity" and that I'd feel out of place, but this wasn't the case it all. The atmosphere was very casual and relaxing. I never felt the urge to put on some khaki pants, a Polo shirt with upturned collar, carry a cigar, and pretend that I just had the most amazing day on the golf course. Not at all. Which was very nice! That being said, if you wanted to dress up for the occasion and have a formal evening sipping brandy in the lobby (and maybe brag about that game of golf that you actually did have), then you wouldn't feel out of place doing that either! The grounds were amazingly beautiful and we loved our room's location within the resort. More kudos to my mom for that too!

Some of my favorite memories from the trip trip include watching Princess learn how to surf, seeing Mark Hamill at Star Wars Weekends and having my parents all to myself, pretty much all of Pickle's birthday (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Breakfast at Cindy's, 7DMT, dinner at Be Our Guest, etc.), big family dinner at Ohana's, doing the steam train tour with Buddy, Steve, and my Dad. That evening at EPCOT where we stumbled upon Illuminations in Japan. The very last evening in MK with Stephanie and Pickle. And then random moments where I had the chance to have some quiet time with my sweet heart :)

This was my second full trip report and it was a lot of fun doing it! Thanks to everyone for joining in and sharing their feedback and experiences. It's been fun interacting with you all and I feel like we've made a lot of new friends. I look forward to keeping some of the interactions going as we follow along with some of your trip reports and pre-trip reports. I admit that I've gotten behind on a few of your TR's, but I look forward to catching up with everyone in the coming days.

Even though I'm basically done here, please feel free to respond with any additional questions and comments that you might have. Stephanie and I will be happy to keep the conversation going as long as there is interest. And if you are looking to drum up an audience for your next trip report, shoot me a message and I'd love to follow along!!

And What's Next?!?!?!

So what's next on our agenda? An epic road trip to California next summer!!!! We planned to do this last year, but had to cancel the trip at the last minute due to foot surgery.

The original idea for this trip spawned from the concern that our family vacations may have been a bit too Florida heavy through the years. Certainly, the kids have seen other parts of the country, but probably 75% of their trips have involved Florida and Disney in some shape or form. We've been thinking that we should probably broaden their horizons a little more before they grow up.

We thought about visiting the north east, NYC or even going up to visit an old friend in Montreal, or going to Wyoming/Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon, etc. I had always wanted to do a mega road trip out west, and there's still the conflict of wanting to see other places besides Disney, but still wanting to experience Disney.... So we thought, how about driving to visit my aunt and uncle in San Francisco, then spending a couple days in Yosemite (I've flown over it countless times on the Soarin' ride, but I really want to see it in person!), and then make our way to the LA area... spend a couple days at Disneyland and LA in general, and then stop at the Grand Canyon for a night on the way back. That would meet both parts of the vacation equation... Get a Disney fix, expose the kids to new parts of the country, and also satisfy a bit of the road trip dream. Perfect!!

Except for.... yeah, we had to cancel that trip a week before it was time to leave. The doctor said that I'd cause irreparable damage to my foot if went ahead with the trip and waited for surgery until we got back. (Yeah, another skateboarding injury.) We had already purchased our Disneyland tickets, but nothing else was set in stone... So we ended up doing a shorter Disneyland only trip last October. It was a blast, but we are still excited about the rest of the trip.

So we decided to give it another go next summer. The twist... is that we invited Stephanie's parents to join us. And then somehow, that turned into Stephanie's brother and his family joining us too. So this time, we'll have a party of 11 road tripping to California in two mini vans. This is going to either be epically awesome, or an epic disaster, but either way we'll be making some epic memories!!!!

The general plan is to drive from St. Louis to San Francisco over three days. Spending four nights in San Francisco. Two nights in Yosemite Valley. Five nights in Anaheim. One night at the Grand Canyon's South Rim, and then two more days driving back to St. Louis. About 5,000 miles after all the side/day trips are accounted for. Yikes!!!

Planned Highlights

While in San Francisco
Some probably but not all of these:

Yosemite
We'll only have about a day and a half here :(

• We have reservations locked in for two nights in the valley!
  • Mostly spend time in the valley, but will probably try to hit Glacier Point and hopefully the Miraposa Grove (giant sequoias) on the way to LA

Anaheim

• This is still very much in flux. We'll have 4.5 days in LA. The first half day, we'll visit Walt's Barn in Griffith Park and then probably visit Walt's grave site too.
  • For the remaining days: Not sure if we'll do 2 days at Disneyland and 2 days exploring, or 3 days at Disneyland, or even all 4 at DL!?!?! We probably won't decide this until next spring.
  • We are up in the air on lodging too. Stephanie has done a lot of research and created a spreadsheet with the pro's and con's of the various options. Staying on property will probably not be an option due to the budget. (We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel last October, and I'd do it again if we can swing it!) We've looked at renting a house for the week. And some options such as the Howard Johnson (Stephanie and I had a great experience there in 2010), Candy Cane Inn (this is probably the front runner this time around), or one of the Marriott properties.
  • Outside of Disneyland? We may visit a couple skateparks, hit a beach (maybe Newport or Laguna) or go north to Santa Monica Pier and/or Venice Beach. Etc. Maybe do some Hollywood stuff. Etc.

Grand Canyon - South Rim

• This is more of a "token" visit. We are basically driving past it on the way home. How can you come within 100 miles of it and "not" at least stop by for a peak or two? So, we'll leave Anaheim early morning and arrive in the early evening. We have reservations in the park. So we'll basically check in, and explore for a couple hours and watch the sunset from the rim. Better than nothing!

I'm not sure how I'll do a Trip Report for the road trip though. Probably too much non-Disney stuff to go day by day, so I'll probably make a shorter TR for anything Disney related such as the Family Museum in SF, Walt's Barn, Walt's Grave, Disneyland, etc. I'll get a PTR thread going in the next couple days and link it back here before this thread gets closed.

Thanks again everyone. It's been real fun!

Really enjoyed your trip report, especially since we will be staying at the GF for the first time this fall. It sounds like you made some great family memories for your kids, keep up the good work!

I am soooo jealous about your road trip next year. We had basically the identical trip planned about 3 years ago (minus the Grand Canyon) but had to cancel as DH went on strike. Instantly put an end to our plans :(. Thankfully we had not bought our plane tickets yet but I had some of the hotels booked. It was so sad cancelling them. So anyway, have fun planning my dream trip, haha! Would love to read about it next summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter