• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hello-Disadvantages of buying resell?

DisReno

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Well, I am now considering buying resell. What are the disadvantages? We already have a direct contract at BCV, so we do get those member perks.

Hello,

Well, I am now considering buying resell. What are the disadvantages? We already have a direct contract at BCV, so we do get those member perks.
If you are already direct owners with blue card perks I don't think there is any downside to buying resale except maybe ending up with a different use year, but that part is entirely up to you. Oh I guess also your resale points would be restricted from use at Riviera, Disneyland Villas, and any other new builds that come in the future.

1. It takes longer, months longer.
2. You can't use resale points at Riviera, Disneyland Tower or any future resort.

That's it.

Biggest disadvantage is that after 2042 your availability will be limited depending on which resort you buy. Currently you can use all the existing resorts except Riviera and the Disneyland Tower. As more resorts enter the inventory you will be locked out.

Then, beginning in 2042, as a group of resorts expire, you won't be able to stay at the new versions of those resorts.

If you don't care about what happens after 2042, the downsides are minimal, just know there will be several resorts that you will be locked out of and unable to stay in. At the same time, those owners will be able to trade into the existing resorts, which will put pressure on what options you have to trade out. The name of the game now with DVC, more than ever, is buy where you want to stay. That 11 month booking window will be even more important moving forward.

Which resorts are you considering? That may determine whether direct or resale is the better way to go. Presently, Grand Floridian seems to be cheaper direct than resale. Aulani on the other hand is much lower resale than direct.

Then, beginning in 2042, as a group of resorts expire, you won't be able to stay at the new versions of those resorts.

That's assuming a lot.

They could offer contract extensions to those original owners.
They could let them expire and form new associations with restrictions.
They could let them expire and form new associations without restrictions.
They could tear some of them down and build new resorts.
They could decide DVC has run its course and let them revert back to hotels.
They could sell them off.

We don't know what Disney will do.

Just to add, you will lose access to membership extras when BCV expires in 2042…unless you have other points by then direct

Again, biggest disadvantage is where you can use them and how happy you will be down the line.

For us, direct is the only way to go. We don’t want to be limited and RIV is our top resort so there is that!

But, lots don’t care and if something comes along that they really want, they’ll buy points that can work there then.

That's assuming a lot.

They could let them expire and form new associations with restrictions.
They could let them expire and form new associations without restrictions.
They could tear some of them down and build new resorts.
They could decide DVC has run its course and let them revert back to hotels.
They could sell them off.

We don't know what Disney will do.

It is but I also think that if you go in assuming the worst case scenario and are okay with it, then any other decision DVD makes is a bonus.

But, as it stands today, with today’s rules, resale points are most likely going to be ineligible for whatever replaces the 2042 resorts.

We also know the ground lease expires and those 2042 resorts revert back to DVD, absent a move by them to change it.

So, if looking at disadvantages today, all one can do is consider what we do know and not what we don’t.

It is but I also think that if you go in assuming the worst case scenario and are okay with it, then any other decision DVD makes is a bonus.

I agree to an extent. I wouldn't purchase a resale contract now with any intention of using those points at a future resort. However, there's bound to be changes upon changes in 19 years. So, ultimately who knows.

The concept of membership extras may not even exist in 19 years. We may not even have season passes. The way it's going, they may use micro transactions and bill us per minute/half hour/hour at the park.

This won't happen, because of the OKW issue. Turns out you cannot extend the land lease for some contracts and not all. It's a complex history with simple law behind it. You also can't juice the points charts.

Any "extension" is really going to be a discount to buy into a new association with inception of Feb 1, 2042 or later.

For us it was only financially feasible at this point in our lives resale. We wanted to be able to purchase and pay it off quickly, so we bought 110 points, paid it off in 6 months, and are currently in ROFR for another 100 points and expect to pay it off in under 6 months. I wouldn't be able to pay it off as quickly direct, and I don't want the interest. To us many of the perks don't matter bc of when we travel. The only one that does really is the restrictions for resorts. If we find this to be a bigger issue as time goes on we can sell our resale contracts and buy direct then. But for us, saving thousands was the priority at this phase in life while still allowing us to stay at these resorts.

Considered doing resale, but ultimately DVC is a luxury purchase. We don’t want to have to deal with restrictions when we’re planning a vacation that’s supposed to be exciting/joy filled. 5K over my life will be worth having the flexility.
I'm kindof thinking the same thing. We don't want restrictions, but we are older and know we won't use it in our lifetime.

The concept of membership extras may not even exist in 19 years. We may not even have season passes. The way it's going, they may use micro transactions and bill us per minute/half hour/hour at the park.
At the rate Disney stock is falling we may be closer to this than we think!

Hello,

For us the biggest disadvantage of resell was the extended timeline. Now it's the timeline along with the exclusions.

Honestly I never thought I would buy direct when I first started looking, which was last July after a 6 night vacation at Polynesian and Beach Club. I didn’t care about the restrictions or the discounts. But then AP returned and the great incentives this summer, including the Welcome Home one that we qualified for because of our trip to Disneyland. While I’m not sure I’ll buy an AP anytime soon I like at least having the option. Plus the other resort I was seriously considering was Boardwalk, and the 2042 was a hang up for me. Now that we will have a few more new properties available in the future I do like having the option to use my points there, especially after seeing the VDH earlier this month. Went direct for 150 points at VGF and can’t wait to use them next year. Very smooth and quick process overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter