Hello from aboard the Magic - Final Update - 1/28

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
1/28 - Well, we are home now after an amazing trip, but I wanted to make sure I updated the events that happened after my last update.

On Wednesday (Our day in St. Thomas), it was rather nasty having to get up so early to clear customs. However, I must say that Disney organized the entire thing brilliantly. We got into the Walt Disney theater at 7:15am and were eating breakfast by 7:35! Once off the ship, we hit town to do some shopping. Now, I must tell you of my favorite jewelry store in the islands. Princess World Jewelers has some of the most unique pieces I've ever seen. I guess I've spent a lot of money there, because they recognized me when I walked in (and the sales girl even gave me a hug and a kiss :) ) In talking with them, I was telling them about the site, and they have agreed to give a free pair of tanzanite or emerald earrings to anyone from the site that brings in a special coupon. While I'm working on the coupon, you can just print out this report and bring it to them (preferably to my Island girl-friend, Sharon...who is just THE BEST!!) Princess World Jewelers is one of the approved stores on Disney's list, and information about their location can be found in the Shopping in Paradise guide on board.

We decided to skip our excursion to St. John, and instead, went to Magens Bay. I would suggest that if anyone wants to spend a full day on the beach, you should skip the shore excursion desk and just take a taxi to Magens Bay. It's cheaper, and almost as good (notice I said ALMOST) as Trunk Bay on St. Johns.

Our day at Sea Thursday was very relaxing (I actually slept most of the day). We made sure to do brunch at Palo (a religious experience), and just enjoy sitting out on deck and relaxing.

When we did the Around the World tour in Sept of 2000, I had a chance to make friends with Captain Hans. I was so happy to see that he was on this sailing, and we had a chance to sit and chat about the ship on Thursday. I have to say that this Capt Hans is one of the most down to earth, most personable people I have ever met. He has a great dedication to the ship, and I must say, the Crew seems to hold him in very high regard. Also during the cruise I had a chance to spend some time chatting with another friend I'd made during the tour, Ozer Bali, the hotel director on board the ship. Ozer is a prodigy from the Ritz-Carlton hotels, and he brings an AMAZING amount of class into every aspect of the operation. The Magic would not be the same without him. So much of those special touches that you see and experience all around the ship are the result of Ozers management. The man also has a really tough job. He's in charge of the food, the staterooms, the maintenance....everything except entertainment and the officers (I believe he has more than 900 crew members reporting to him). He's a busy man, but you'll always find him around the ship, talking with guests, and looking to help wherever he can. First class guy!

Friday was our Castaway Cay day. In all the times I've been to Castaway Cay, I don't think I've ever seen weather as perfect as this!! We headed right to Serenity Bay and set up camp. Walter (aka Nature Boy) was immediately in the water, never to be heard from again (okay, well...maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea). About 30 minutes after hitting the water, Walter appeared to be about 9 miles out (the tide was REALLY low). He's waving his arms, yelling for me. I proceed to take the 40 minute walk to where he is to find the most beautiful starfish I've ever seen. As a matter of fact, in this area there were about 3 or 4 of them. It was just beautiful. A group of people had gathered around to take pictures. Very cool indeed.

So, as I'm sitting on the beach, I notice a couple coming out of the water carrying one of these starfish. To say I was upset would be an understatement. Needless to say, these two morons thought that whatever they found in the ocean was theirs to kill for a souvenir. I exchanged a few words with the couple, but was gratified to see them walking the starfish back out into the ocean before it died. Here is where I have to mention something to everyone: If you can't appreciate the beauty of living things without killing them, then don't leave home. Remember, take only pictures, leave only footprints. You can't bring this stuff back into the country anyway, so why kill it?? End of speech.

We had also booked the couples massage on the beach that day, and showed up on time for our appointment. We received great massages, only to realize afterwards that our 50 minute massage, was more like 40 minutes, with only about 30 minutes hands on. I love having to pay for a 10 minute sales pitch. Unfortunately, I did not notice this until the next couple was brought in, so I made sure it got mentioned to the spa manager. Word to the wise: Check your watches when these massages start, and get your 50 minutes! At $230, I felt REALLY ripped off that I did not get all that I paid for.

Overall, the cruise was wonderful. The crew was as good as ever, the food was delicious, our stateroom was wonderful, and the weather was picture perfect. While there are always things that can be improved upon, Disney rarely (if ever) needs much help in finding it. Although I've officially lost count of how many Disney cruises I've been on, it's amazing to me that I am more excited about it now then I was the first time I sailed. I am constantly in amazement of how people are treated on board that ship. It seems everyone is a VIP. All week I heard stories from guests about crew members doing extraordinary things that were above and beyond. For instance, when a woman wasn't feeling well, and decided to stay in her stateroom and rest (rather than go to dinner), her server called her, asked her what she wanted...then BROUGHT DINNER TO HER!! What's truly magical is that these are not isolated incidents. They happen all the time, which just blows my mind. It just goes to show that when you've got good management, and a good team, amazing things can happen. Now, if they would only build that third ship :)

1/22 - I really wanted to get down here the last few nights and update this thread, but I couldn't seem to leave the Jacuzzi :)

Well, we've had a great few days so far. Some good things to report -

Sunday night was the Master Chef series, and I must say that this was the best Master Chef menu I've seen! Highlights included the Butternut Squash soup from Wolfgang Puck (a legendary dish), and Roast Pork with Polenta (from California Grille). When I say the meal was outstanding, I'm not kidding. It ranks among the best I've ever had. Our server staff was also outstanding (Sylvester, Carlos and Lloyd). It was formal night and Walter and I looked so good in our Tuxes (well, Walter did anyway :) Also, Sunday saw a change in our stateroom host. Gone is the Toll Taker and he was replaced with Carlos, the single best stateroom host I've ever had. This guy is amazing, he even folds my dirty underwear (just imagine the tip he's going to get). And, for those of you who are wondering, yes, I just throw my dirty clothes on the floor and go right to bed.

The midnight dessert buffet was as good as ever (Walter is sitting beside me saying ... OUTRAGEOUS). The assortment of desserts was beyond comprehension. I would really suggest that they consider doing it more than one night though, as many people did not make it on Sunday (and those of us who are pigs would like to do it more than once).

Monday saw a very windy, but relaxing day at Sea. The Surial bath was fantastic, except for the lack of water pressure in the showers. I can't tell you how much fun it is trying to shower off all that mud under a trickling of water. That marred the experience and in my estimation is unacceptable in a spa charging what the Vista spa charges for it's services. Also, I think the spa would do well to follow every other spa in the world and give out slippers or sandals to walk around in. Walking around barefoot on wet floors is dangerous at least, and unsanitary at worst. Also, in August we were given robes when we went in to use the Rainforest room. That apparently has been stopped. Again, less service is not acceptable for that particular spa. Consistency is the trademark of this ship, and I think they would do well to note that. Overall, the spa staff has been great, and in spite of those hiccups, a great experience.

Today (Tuesday) was our day in St. Maarten, and I definitely have a few things to say about that. In my early reports on St. Maarten, I was displeased with the destination. I found it dirty, unkempt and in general, not a great place to visit. I must say that each visit since then, the island seems to have improved. We took the See and Sea Island tour today, and really enjoyed it. Even though I've heard mixed reviews about it, I found our guide to be entertaining and informative, and the scenery in certain parts of the island were breathtaking. I think it's a wonderful opportunity to see the island as it is, and get some of the best picture taking opportunities you'll find anywhere (I'll be posting those when I get back...if we ever get the server fixed). After the tour, I did some shopping (again, shop keepers started singing 'Hello Dolly' as I drew closer). The shopping here is awesome, and you can get some great deals on jewelry. Well worth a visit.

Now, a new wrinkle in the aftermath of September 11th happens tomorrow morning at 6:30am. Since we have visited St. Maarten, US Immigration considers that we have left the country. When we go to St. Thomas, we are returning to US soil, therefore, everyone on the ship must clear customs before being allowed off. That means we all have to schlep down to the theatre at 6:30, ID's in hand. This is not a Disney thing, this is immigration, so don't bother the nice people at DCL by complaining about this. It is a security precaution, and while annoying, anything that keeps us safer is a good thing. Also, everyone should note that you need your photo ID's whenever leaving the ship, and when you return (not just your Key to the World card). So, make sure you have everything in hand.

So, tomorrow it's off to St. John for some more picture taking and relaxation. I'll try to post an update tomorrow, but I'll see how I feel (especially after the dinners they've been serving at Palo...all you want to do is go to bed after that kind of meal :)

Have fun everyone, and I promise we're getting the server looked at and it will be back up and running just as soon as possible. Thanks for being patient!

Pete

-----------------------------
1/19 - I love to be able to say those words!!! Given the fact that this is now my 7th 7-Night cruise, I feel like this is less and less a 'destination' for me, and more and more like 'my house at the shore'.

Few things to report. First, the ship is gorgeous and anyone who is thinking about booking a cruise and hasn't done it should have thier heads examined:) Of course, <a href="http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com"> Dreams Unlimited </a> will be more than happy to step you through the process (you certainly didn't think this was going to happen without a cheap, gratuitous plug, did you :)

Secondly, and more notably, DCL security is far tighter than it was prior to 9/11. Even still, the check in process is as smooth as silk. If you are arriving via limo, car service, etc, they will not let you drop off at the terminal, rather you are directed across the street. There are sky-caps there to take your bags, and the walk across the street was fine. We had our ID's checked before we even got to the terminal. All in all, I felt very good about the process, and it's obvious that Disney isn't going to wait for something to happen. Hats off to them on that.

Lunch at Parrot Cay was nice, and like 'old home week'. I've come to know a number of the crew members from my visits here, so I spent some time visiting with old friends.

Of course, no trip to the Magic is complete without an obsessive compulsive episode in both Palo and the Spa. I believe I heard some of the Spa staff start singing Hello Dolly as I walked in. I was able to get the couples massage on Castaway Cay, along with our weekly pass to the Rainforest Room (ooh yeah!), and my new "friend" and I are going to try the Suriel Bath <very evil grin>. I was pleased that I was able to get multiple reservations to Palo (as were many other guests that I talked to), so I'll be spending most of my time their with my good friend Maurizio. Maruizio has been my server at Palo since my first 7 night cruise, and for those of you that know him, you know what an AMAZING man he is. I last saw Maurizio 5 months ago, when I was just starting my new diet. The diet calls for a wide variety of vegetables and fruits to be prepared in certain ways. In and of itself it's amazing to me that the staff here will do that for me, what's more amazing is that after 5 months, Maurizo REMEMBERED EVERY DETAIL OF MY DIET!!!! The man is legendary and truly first class.

My stateroom host on the other hand seems to be stricken with that awful mental illness known as "no personality disorder". He's doing his job, but did not introduce himself, smile, try and make us feel welcome. He reminded me of the toll booth operators that I came to fear and loathe on the New Jersey Turnpike. When delivering my tuxedos, I kept expecting him to throw change at me and say "have a nice freaking day".

After dinner we headed out to the Jacuzzi for some bubble talk where I had a Tonya Harding moment and fell flat on my a$$, messing up my knee (yes, for those wise guys out there, my knee is connected directly to my ***). This was not because of poor conditions around the Jacuzzi, or the movement of the ship...this was because I am an idiot and don't read signs properly...like "EXIT HERE". So, I'm anticipating by morning I'll have a nice watermelon sized knee, but what the heck...it's a small price to pay to spend 7 days in paradise :)

Alright kiddies, it's off to bed. I think I'll watch the Discovery channel on the ship that has the shows in English, but the commercials in Spanish. That always confuses me as I sit and try and translate the commercials (so what, I'm small minded and easily entertained....at least I make good web sites, right ?).

Talk to everyone soon!
Pete

Pete,

Have a great cruise and hope your knee doesn't bother you too much. We watched you sail away last night on the Port Canaveral Cam. Can't wait until it is our turn in 4 more months (a 4-day on the Wonder).

Enjoy!

Thanks for the details Pete!! One week from today I will start my 4 day vacation on The Wonder with my best friend SeaShelley (no husbands- no kids!:D ) It will be the FIRST real vacation I have ever had...... but I have a feeling not my last!:rolleyes:

Tell us more when you get the chance..... and take care of that knee! ~Mermaid

Hope your knee is doing better, Pete!

As for those New Jersey Turnpike toll takers - all I can say now is "Thank God for EZ-PASS"!! :D

Keep your reports coming!

This should be a fun week here on the DIS -- I will be looking forward to Pete's update threads --- they make me smile.
:)

Pete....great post! Bummer about your knee....hope it's better! Can't wait for the next installment from the Magic!

Mermaid and I are so excited for our vacation on the Wonder next weekend....please put in an order for sunshine for us OK???:D

Enjoy....
SeaShelley

Webmaster of them all...

Your upbeat report was just what I needed on this Winter Wonderland morning in Md :smooth: Really sorry to hear about your knee and wish you a speedy recovery. I hope it doesn't put a damper for your and your friend in the Suriel ;) I must admit tho....your 'Tonya Harding moment' and the 'no personality disorder' comments had me ROTFL :D You are too much!! Savor every moment...know you'll have a wonderful time at your 'house at the shore'. Take good care of that knee!
~ 4nana

Thanks for the "up to moment" report Pete and sorry to hear about your knee.

Have a fabulous time! :D
Cathy

Why can I just picture every bit of this report? ;) :D

Sorry to hear about your knee, Pete, but glad to know it's not keeping you down. Enjoy!

Hi Pete, thanks for the report. After 6 inches of snow here in the North East, I'll be looking forward to your daily trip reports!!!

Friends of ours are on that cruise and all I can think about is, 'why can't I be there?'

Thanks and hope your knees better!

M*M

:D Great check in Pete - looking forward to the rest of the updates this week! I leave on the Magic in 67 days and YES - I booked it through DU!!! :) (who have been great by the way!)

but, I didn't think you were the sort of guy who needed an excuse to stay in the jacuzzi all day/all night. :) :) :) Just kidding. Sorry.

You have reaaly answered a question or two for me about the Wonder Pintrading cruise I will be taking in May. Speaking of Pin trading. Pete, Any chance you'd consider picking up a DCL artist Choice pin for a loyal member with over 1600 posts before our little mishap? I live right at the port and did not find anybody going on board this trip to ask.

:batting eyelashes:

Have great fun !! Hope you say yes to the Pin
Kathryn
pintrader

I can related to your feelings on returning to the Magic and being made to feel so welcome. We have the same feeling on the Wonder, where the awesome crew always makes us feel like we are returning home. Sounds like your trip is a magical one.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Now how did I miss these updates? :) Thanks for sharing the story of your fantastic voyage, Pete!

When we were on the Wonder in Novemeber we had some rough seas the first evening and I was'nt feeling well. Our room steward checked twice to see if he could get me anything and both our waiter and the head waiter asked my husband if they could bring dinner to me in our room. What service!:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earseek:

I have yet to book a cruise, but I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this trip report. :) Wow! Thank you for having this here to read.... ;) oh, and it helps to have the boards down from time to time so I can remember to venture over into other parts of this website. ;)

LOVED your trip reports - I am a first timer and have learned so much from you and fellow Disers on the cruise board. I printed out the page regarding the free earrings. When do you think you will have the special coupon done? I am cruising 3/2, but printed out the page in case it was not done by then. I can't believe you talked them into free earrings for us - LOVE YOU!!!

Where will the coupon be posted? I am owed a piece of jewelery from my dh (cruise is our christmas, birthday, anniversary, valentines day gift - you get the drift) and am looking forward to picking out something nice. Now I can get 2 pieces of jewelry LOL.

We were on the same cruise - it was our first cruise - and it left us wanting for more. It was my DH, myselft and our 5 children and I can't say enough about how much we all loved it. The kids range from 14 to 4 and everyone (except maybe the 4 yr. old going into the 3-4 club - he didn't like it) had wonderful experiences. We also had Sylvester & Carlos and they were wonderful to the kids. Sylvester got them to try foods they had never tasted before promising that if they didn't like it, he'd bring them something else right away - most of the time they loved it. It was the first real vacation this Mom has every had. No making beds, cleaning up, cooking meals (Sylvester was even cutting up the kids food for them) and plenty of #1 suggestions at dinner along with many #1 picks of wine to go along with them. The DIS board was a true asset in our planning of our vacation. We booked our cruise 14 months in advance and stumbled onto this site. We had our packing and plans well laid out thanks to everyone's great input throughout the last year. We got home from our vacation ready to plan the next one....This is a great way to take a large family on vacation and see the Carribean but have all your costs laid out for you. We figured to have flown to one or two of these Islands, transportation there, hotel and food -- we had a bargain with the Disney Cruise. Thanks to everyone and hopefully we'll have some great tips for others now too.

Pete-

Did not know you were on our cruise and told Towncrier when he mentioned it to me that I wouldn't know you if I ran into you anyway (there was a rumor you were on crutches)!

It was a truly magical cruise, and my family and I had a great time. We went from the 3 day, to the 4 day, and now our first 7 day! Needless to say, even with the $99 deal in the fall, we wish it were a 7 day!

The Golden Eagle at St Maarten had about 30+ Dis'ers on Board, and we had a great time there too!

Just also want to mention that Donna and Michelle from DU have been a wonderful help, and make the whole experience an almost seamless one of wonderful service!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter