Help — Pop Century vs. Coronado Springs?

Which resort?

• Coronado Springs

• Pop Century

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdecker

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

My family will be visiting Walt Disney World in January to run the RunDisney 5k and 10k. We asked a travel agent for some quotes on various resorts while we're there. He gave us some great quotes for Pop Century, Coronado Springs, and Art of Animation. The latter is not really what we're looking for, so we need to choose between Pop Century and Coronado Springs.

Having never stayed at either, we're looking for some input on which resort to stay at. The quotes were close enough that price won't be a (huge) issue. In addition to our RunDisney races, we'll be visiting the WDW parks for three days. That being said, does anyone have input on which resort will be a better fit for us? Drawbacks, advantages, etc.?

I run a lot of the Disney races, and a big "must have" for me is a hot tub to relax in after. Pop Century does not have a hot tub; I know the Coronado Springs "Big Dig" feature pool is supposed to undergo some renovations soon. I don't know if they will be done by January, or if their quiet pools have a hot tub?

I think with all the construction going on at Coronado Springs, I would choose Pop in this instance. If swimming is important to you, be aware that the entire main pool area at Coronado is scheduled for refurbishment from Sept 4 until Dec 12 and that date very well could be extended into the future. Since it is hard to say what the state of the construction will be in January, I personally would go with Pop (all room refurbishments will be done by then!) instead of paying the higher price for Coronado and being disappointed with the effects from construction.

We've stayed CSR many times. We love it but not while construction is going on. In addition to that we always found the hot tub to be more like a warm tub lol. It never really got hot enough for us especially in the winter months. Have you looked at Port Orleans?

Pop is a Value resort, so no hot tubs, no pool slides, no TS restaurant, and the rooms are smaller. However, the rooms have just been renovated and have two queen beds (one of which is a Murphy bed, and the table folds up under it when it's down) as well as a coffee pot, which is similar to Coronado Springs. Also, there's only one bus stop, and the queues are uncovered. Many folks who stay at Pop walk across the bridge to eat at the QS at Art of Animation or take the AoA bus back to Pop as alternatives.

CSR is a Moderate resort, so it has a hot tub at the main pool (I believe the renovations will be complete by January), an awesome slide at the main pool, both QS and TS restaurants, and larger rooms. The rooms are currently undergoing renovations; many are complete already but I'm not sure whether they'll all be done by January. There are four bus stops, so depending on where your room is, there may be rare occasions (e.g. at park opening) when the bus you want is standing room only by the time it picks you up. The queues are sheltered.

DH and I have stayed at both (just the two of us, no kids) and like them both. The theming is completely different - Pop is more fun, CSR is more adult, I'd say.

Have you looked at the respective resort threads on this board? Lots of information in the first posts (although a new Pop thread will be started once renovations are complete) as well as photographs, maps, etc. that might be helpful.

We've stayed CSR many times. We love it but not while construction is going on. In addition to that we always found the hot tub to be more like a warm tub lol. It never really got hot enough for us especially in the winter months. Have you looked at Port Orleans?
Same with us. We went to CSR in the summer, and the hot tub was never hot.

I run a couple of RunDisney races every year and we have stayed at both resorts for races.

Pop: Usually cheaper. A lot noisier. As has been pointed out, no hot tub, table-service dining, or other amenities you can find in moderate-level resorts. Pop and AA are the resorts closest to ESPN where you will pick up your packet, and that can be a plus if you go when there is a lot of traffic. Our kids and grandkids find Pop a lot more fun.

CSR: More luxurious. CSR is a convention hotel, so it's more staid, and it has less bright colors and less Disney character branding in my view. It's a lot quieter. The bus makes a circuit around the property when it enters, and that takes a few minutes every time. Buses are in my experience less crowded than at Pop.

We stay at Pop for races when we can. But you'll like either one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter