Help a newbie plan a Disney Trip?

captsparrowslady

Proud Member of Loki's Army ;-)
I posted this over in the Budget board, but I've been informed I'll probably get more help here... so here I am... (sorry in advance for the long post and the repeat info from my other post on the Budget Board)

In the past, my mom has always been the one to plan Disney trips but she recently passed away July 2017. She loved coming here to the disboards (maybe some of you knew her, her name here was Tink2DW).

My sister, my SIL and I want to maybe plan a trip to Disneyland (or maybe a non-disney cruise), for some time next year (2019), probably in the summer... If we did go to Disneyland, I know my sister has said that she would also want to go to Universal Studios...

It's been a really long time since my sister has been to Disney (not since the 80's) and my SIL has never been to Disney or Universal. It's been about 10 years since I've been to DL.

So I'm thinking probably 5 days in Disney and maybe 2 or 3 days for Universal... So probably a 10 day trip (I was looking at going over the 4th of July weekend, because my birthday is July 1st and I've never done Disney on my Birthday... So maybe like... arrive on June 27th, and leave on the morning of July 7th)...

I know prices will probably not be the cheapest because of the holiday so I've been trying to figure out how much a trip to Disneyland would cost and I don't really know where to start or what a reasonable budget is for certain things or where to find the best deals.

I am in AZ and, most likely, I would drive to Anaheim with my dad's van (with his mobility scooter on the back ;) ... it's about a 6 hr drive) but my sister & SIL are in Idaho. They would have to fly into LAX.

My difficulty is trying to figure out what hotel to stay at. Normally, in past trips my parents and I would stay at the Desert Inn & Suites but it seems like they are BOOKED all summer of 2019 (either that or maybe they're just not taking reservations out that far yet?). So I'm not sure what hotel would be similarly priced, in roughly the same location (ideally across the street from DL is what I'd like).

My other 'want' for a hotel room is either a suite with 2 separate sleeping areas that have a door between them... or hotel that is inexpensive enough to have 2 hotel rooms with a connecting door between them... as much as I love my sister and my SIL, they both snore and I can't sleep with snoring people in the same room... Free parking would also be good, since I would be driving to Anaheim (or the hotel cost inexpensive enough to offset the cost of parking)... free breakfast would also be nice to maybe help cut down on food costs?

Speaking of food... I have no idea how much to budget for food... I know a hotel with free continental breakfast is one way to cut down cost, but then there's still lunch & dinner costs... and I'm not sure if we would want to do a character breakfast/dinner (Not sure if they would bring my nephew with them or keep it a girls' adult-only trip).

I know that AAA offers discounts on Park Hopper tickets, so that's one way to save money... but there is so much about planning a Disney Trip that I just don't know and if my mom was still with us, I'd ask her to help... but I can't do that now... So I'm turning to the people here on the disboards for advice.

Thanks in advance,
Beth

Hi Beth, sorry to hear about your mom xx I'm sure you guys will have a wonderful trip. You've come to the right place, these guys on here are extremely helpful.
Just a quick note to start you off. You are too far out to start looking at hotels. I know this because I find myself planning an unexpected trip to D/L next July and I only looked the other day at Desert Inn & Suites. Reservations are currently only open until the end of April 2019. It'll probably be 2-3mths before you see July reservations open up.
I stayed there last year and booked 11-12mths out - can't remember exactly.
I had a look at April dates just to get an idea of what pricing might be for next year just to give myself an idea.
You'll get plenty more help / advice in due course, best of luck with your planning : )

Welcome to the DLR forum! We're more than happy to help you plan your trip!

Just off the top of my head, here are some thoughts:

For summer 2019: do you care about Star Wars Land: Galaxy's Edge? (Google this if you are not familiar with it -- it will be the new land at DL opening some time next year.) If you want to see it, your prospective dates sound good. If you want to avoid it (and the unavoidable crowds that will be a part of it), then try to visit earlier in the year.

This thread has good information on DLR hotels: https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/.
Don't forget to factor in parking, the Anaheim resort tax (17% or more?), and any other hidden costs.

Mousesavers.com has a good list of current offers and discounts for hotels, car rentals, ticket offers, etc. Last Minute Travel Club has the lowest price that I know of on 5 day hoppers. Google for a free membership code -- do not pay the $50.

Have your sister and SIL check flights to LAX, SNA (John Wayne), and LGB (Long Beach). The last two are much closer to DLR and could end up saving money overall once you factor in transportation to/from the airport and travel stress.

When budgeting for anything (food, souvenirs, hotel, any other costs, etc.), always round UP! That way you should have a cushion of some sort to cover you rather than falling short. Character meals change price with the season, so once you decide on a date, check the price then. If your hotel has a refrigerator, you can get some basic groceries to help cut down on some costs. There are grocery stores not too far from the parks. Bringing in your own bottled water (and refilling at the filtered water stations) is a way to save a ton of money over a multi-day trip, for example.

You'll get so much good help here. Come on back with any questions as you think of them.

Last edited:
...So I'm thinking probably 5 days in Disney and maybe 2 or 3 days for Universal...

My other 'want' for a hotel room is either a suite with 2 separate sleeping areas that have a door between them... or hotel that is inexpensive enough to have 2 hotel rooms with a connecting door between them... as much as I love my sister and my SIL, they both snore and I can't sleep with snoring people in the same room... Free parking would also be good, since I would be driving to Anaheim (or the hotel cost inexpensive enough to offset the cost of parking)... free breakfast would also be nice to maybe help cut down on food costs?..

5 days at DLR is a nice trip -- long enough to cover the parks at a relaxed pace, enjoy rides, shows, special things like dining packages and character meals, and time to cover repeats of favorites. Plus, you can do some pool time or a beach day, too. For Universal, many DISers feel that USH is a one day park. Are you sure you want up to 3 days? It would save a lot of money if you only do 1 day there. Just a thought...

Your hotel wants can be covered at the Candy Cane Inn. We've done 2 connecting rooms there as a sort of suite, and things worked very well. The CCI gets good reviews here: very clean, great staff and great customer service, generous continental breakfast, free parking, private shuttle that runs on time, close enough to the parks to walk (about 10 minutes -- same side of Harbor as DLR), premium rooms come with a small refrigerator and microwave and breakfast delivered to the room, etc. They offer several discounts, including AAA, so check to see if you qualify for something. There are also some newer all suite hotels by the parks that are worth looking into. I'm sure you'll get other good suggestions for hotels here so that you'll be able to compare rates once you choose your trip dates.

Lastly, start reading through the threads on this forum to update yourself on the happenings at DLR. A LOT has changed since your last visit, so it will help you to know what's new and what your options are now. Taking things in slowly and asking questions as you go along will be much easier than having to cram once you get closer to your trip dates.

Last edited:

I would not do more than 1 day at Universal. I don't know what you would do to fill up two days worth much less three.

I would not do more than 1 day at Universal. I don't know what you would do to fill up two days worth much less three.

I agree. Universal Hollywood is not nearly as large as the Orlando parks. It's still really great because it is on an actual working movie studio, so if you are into that sort of stuff, you will like it, but it is easily done in a day (though the new Harry Potter addition has increased crowds). If you are into Hollywood movie magic and such, I would recommend doing one day at Universal and take another day to do the Warner Bros. Studio tour which is not too far from where Universal is located.

Honestly, even 5 full days at DLR is a bit much if you ask me. I mean, you can certainly have fun just being in the Disney zone, but you'll be repeating attractions a lot by day 5, which may or may not appeal to you. I mean, I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, but you might consider some different things too. I think the ideal time for DLR is 3 days park days, though a day to just hang out at Downtown Disney (if you like Star Wars definitely do the VR thing) isn't a bad idea either.

I think Desert Inn and Suites would be perfect for you. As noted above, they aren't yet accepting reservations for next summer, but usually their rates are very low if you book as soon as the reservations open. I'm not sure if they connecting rooms, but we also really like the Quality Inn on S. Manchester as a budget option. Galaxy's Edge might change things, but I think 4 days at Disney is enough to accomplish everything and get lots of re-rides without getting burned out. And I agree that Universal is a one-day park.

The best deal on tickets will likely be through Last Minute Travel Club. Right now they are selling 5 day hoppers for less than the price Disney charges for a 3-day hopper.

Food prices at Disney seem to be increasing significantly faster than the rate of inflation, so I'd take this year's prices and add 20% as a cushion for next year.

I love repeating rides and taking my time through the parks. I went with 5 days for DL/DCA because that's what my family has always done and it never seems like enough days (well... to be fair I could live in Anaheim with a season pass and go every single day and it probably still wouldn't seem like enough days. lol)

I wasn't sure about the number of days to spend at Universal so that's good to know it can be a day trip. I knew they had expanded with the Harry Potter stuff and I wasn't sure if Harry Potter was worth an entire day to itself (I'm not really a potter fan, not sure about my sister/SIL... or nephew if he comes too). So I was originally thinking 2 days for Universal... like day 1 for the main section and day 2 for Harry Potter... but if it can all happily be fit into one day, that's cool.

I'm a theatre geek to the max so I'm definitely interested in all the backlots tour stuff. The Universal Backlot Tour was always my favorite... except for King Kong... I didn't like the King Kong tram shaking bit when I was 5. *giggles* I'm not sure if I've ever done the WB Backlot tour but that would be fun (especially if there are any of my favorite CW shows filmed there).

Also, I noticed that there is a lot of stuff in California Adventure closed for renovations/remodels at the moment... What exactly do they have planned? And when is it expected to reopen? I think I read that Ariel's Grotto is going away *sobs* I never got to eat there... Ariel is my favorite princess.

I think 5 day hoppers is the way to go. We usually do 4 days and NEVER get everything done that we want to .....and certainly never get bored or anything like that. It is nice to be able to take your time and enjoy all of the atmosphere (and not run around crazed from ride to ride!)

...Also, I noticed that there is a lot of stuff in California Adventure closed for renovations/remodels at the moment... What exactly do they have planned? And when is it expected to reopen? I think I read that Ariel's Grotto is going away *sobs* I never got to eat there... Ariel is my favorite princess.

The construction in DCA right now is for Pixar Pier which will officially open this June 23rd (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-disney-california-adventure/). Ariel's Grotto is being rethemed into another restaurant. No one knows yet if there will be another princess meal to replace the one that was at AG. If you'd like and if the budget allows, you could use the money you save by only doing one day at Universal to do more special things at DLR. For example, you could do the WOC Dessert Party (the most special way to see WOC!). That is a really fun treat -- pricey, but worth it. You could do a dining package for F! Or afternoon tea at Steakhouse 55.

I think 5 day hoppers is the way to go. We usually do 4 days and NEVER get everything done that we want to .....and certainly never get bored or anything like that. It is nice to be able to take your time and enjoy all of the atmosphere (and not run around crazed from ride to ride!)
Exactly! I also feel like having 5 full days at Disney gives you the opportunity to do other things besides *just* going on rides, like character meet & greets, and other special activities like that. And with my SIL having NEVER been to Disneyland (or World), I would really want to have as much time as possible for her to have ALL the fun there is to be had. *giggles* It will be a new experience for me to watch somebody experience Disney for the first time ever... I'm kind of excited to watch her experience that Disney Magic that only exists in the parks.

...If you'd like and if the budget allows, you could use the money you save by only doing one day at Universal to do more special things at DLR. For example, you could do the WOC Dessert Party (the most special way to see WOC!). That is a really fun treat -- pricey, but worth it. You could do a dining package for F! Or afternoon tea at Steakhouse 55.

That sounds like fun! I just started (literally today was my first day of training) a new job as a school bus driver so I'm not quite sure what my budget constraints will be... I'll need to get a feel for what my average pay check will be and how much savings I'll be able to put away. But that's definitely something to consider.

Another thing I'd want to look into for my sister & SIL, is scooter rentals for them (just in case they want to go that route I can give them the information). I know Disney has their own you can rent on a first come/first serve basis (and I'm fairly certain you can't take a DL scooter over to DCA and vice versa) but I remember my parents and I rented scooters from a local 3rd party company (like a medical equipment place) but I can't remember the name of the place, or if they still do that for Disney Vacationers...

Last edited:
Check Deckerts for the scooter rentals. They get good reviews here and on other boards. They will deliver to and pick up from your hotel.

One way to budget for a Disney trip is to put money on Disney Gift Cards. Those don't expire in CA, so you can keep them for a long time and use them on one or on multiple DLR trips. Some people use Target Red Cards to get 5% back on Disney gift card purchases (post a thread about this or do a search -- lots of info on this). Sometimes Sam's Club has a slight discount on Disney gift cards. You can register your gift cards online (then if they get lost or stolen, they can be replaced and you can roll the amounts of several cards onto one card, too.). Your gift cards work like a sort of savings account for your trip expenses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter