• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help a newbie rate ride intensity

bluedolphin32

Mouseketeer
We've been to WDW, but not UOR. We will be going to UOR next May for the first time. I hear the rides are more intense, but I could use some help comparing to rides I already know at Disney to decide what rides my family will be able to enjoy. For example, are the big rollercoasters more intense than Guardians and Space Mt.? We have a couple of us who have motion sickness issues to work around. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Yes in my opinion the big roller coasters are more intense than space mountain and Guardians.

There are some that are more like regular roller coasters (Hulk, Velocicoaster, Rip Ride Rocket, Hagrid’s) and some that have a lot more screens to them (Transformers, Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey) which I believe can give a different form of motion sickness.

Just came back from my first trip....I'm a Disney vet. I agree with @PixieT78

Universal is more like a "true" amusement park in terms of rides. Almost all of them spin, twist, turn, and the coasters are far more intense than anything at Disney (have not ridden Guardians so can't comment on that).

That is what I have heard. I will probably go watch ride videos on YouTube to see just how much spinning is involved. DH can't do spinning and the coasters may be too intense for him as well. GotG was a one and done for him, he had to sit still for an hour to recover from that one.

Is there a particular ride that might be on par with BTMRR? Or are they all more intense than that?

We are most interested in Harry Potter, but I'd like to enjoy whatever other rides we can. One of my kids may be up for bigger coasters, but we may not be able to ride as many things as a family is what it sounds like to me.

That is what I have heard. I will probably go watch ride videos on YouTube to see just how much spinning is involved. DH can't do spinning and the coasters may be too intense for him as well. GotG was a one and done for him, he had to sit still for an hour to recover from that one.

Is there a particular ride that might be on par with BTMRR? Or are they all more intense than that?

We are most interested in Harry Potter, but I'd like to enjoy whatever other rides we can. One of my kids may be up for bigger coasters, but we may not be able to ride as many things as a family is what it sounds like to me.
I don't think any coasters at Universal are like BTMRR. Hagrid's probably comes the closest, but it is much faster and does some things I don't want to spoil for anyone who hasn't ridden it.

Flight of the Hippogriff is fairly tame, but it is super short. The other HP ride does a *lot* of flipping and spinning.

Basically any ride where there is a locker for you to put bags in, you probably won't want to ride.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of any ride that doesn't spin or jerk. Even the Cat in the Hat ride spins.

I have a husband that doesn’t do thrill rides.

He has done most things at universal except Hulk, Velocicoaster and rip ride rocket.

I have some slight motion sickness issues but not bad. None of the big coasters made me sick. Simpsons did. Flights of passage did once when I went on with an empty stomach. Lol.

Hagrids is fast with a couple surprises but no huge drops and no upside down. He does this one and is fine.

He does not do simpsons, transformers or Spider-Man bc the screens get him nauseated. They aren’t thrill rides, but someone prone to motion sickness could have trouble.

Forbidden journey does turn you every which way, but not in a roller coaster sort of way. More in a Soarin gone wild sort of way. Slow movement backwards and around which combined with screens could make some nauseated-but there are sections without screens. I like this one and just close my eyes on the screen portions if needed.

Gringotts is on a track like a coaster but only has one mild hill in the beginning and then car on track movement for the rest. Again, screens, but I take my glasses off and still enjoy the ride. If someone can do big thunder this is a total can do IMO.

Flight of the hippogriff is a kids coaster like a longer barnstormer. Fine for the not thrill inclined but also not worth a long wait, IMO.

Men in Black is similar in ride type to Buzz. The vehicle does spin several times at the end. No one in my fam had trouble with this.

ET is like a Peter Pan. Slow ride through scenes.

Mummy is fun and I think similar to space. Dark inside coaster-feels fast but no upside down or huge drops.

We've been to WDW, but not UOR. We will be going to UOR next May for the first time. I hear the rides are more intense, but I could use some help comparing to rides I already know at Disney to decide what rides my family will be able to enjoy. For example, are the big rollercoasters more intense than Guardians and Space Mt.? We have a couple of us who have motion sickness issues to work around. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Any idea what triggers what the motion sickness? (drops, spinning, high speeds or the illusion of high speeds). How well do you handle motion simulators? Can you do Star Tours and/or Soarin'? That might change which rides you can do and which you should skip.

we may not be able to ride as many things as a family is what it sounds like to me.

I realize the whole point of a family vacation is to be together, but you can go through the line together and then tell a team member you do not want to ride before you board, and they will let you exit. You can also split up if not everyone wants to ride the same thing and meet up after the ride.

Thanks everyone. Your feedback is really helpful. I think the kids and i will definitely be riding some things without Dad, but he is fine with that. He'd rather feel good and have fun watching us ride something than ride a ride that makes him feel sick and have a bad time.

Any idea what triggers what the motion sickness? (drops, spinning, high speeds or the illusion of high speeds). How well do you handle motion simulators? Can you do Star Tours and/or Soarin'? That might change which rides you can do and which you should skip.

A lot of those cause problems for DH: motion simulators with screens and spinning are big ones. He won't even attempt to ride Dumbo or the Teacups. He had to close his eyes on FOP and won't ride it again. He takes Dramamine, but that doesn't cure all of the effects for him.

My son gets carsick, but on our last trip he didn't have any problems with simulator rides, so he should be fine on those. His favorite ride was FOP (mine was too, until I rode GotG).

I get nervous boarding roller coasters, but I usually end up enjoying them. I think I will like the ones I just rode more next time, since I will remember what to expect.

I realize the whole point of a family vacation is to be together, but you can go through the line together and then tell a team member you do not want to ride before you board, and they will let you exit. You can also split up if not everyone wants to ride the same thing and meet up after the ride.
Good to know.

He will also try any ride once as long as the main feature isn't spinning. He rode Everest, Space, and GotG with me on our last trip, but he said once was enough for him and he won't ride them next time. I just don't want him to ruin his day on something we know will cause him issues.

@bluedolphin32

I am a ride coward so I will not be able to tell you about roller coasters.

Many of the rides at Universal are motion simulators. Jimmy Fallon and Minions are among the milder simulators. Simpsons, Transformers, and Spiderman are more intense in terms of movement.

I like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but it makes me a little dizzy, so maybe make that your last ride of the day or build in a break after.

The rides that I can think of where the main feature is spinning are Men in Black as well Kodos and Kang

The "true" roller coasters at UO (not simulators or a hybrid) are MUCH more intense than anything at WDW/ Flight of Hippogriff and Hagrids are the exceptions. I can ride anything at WDW multiple times wo issue and enjoy them. The G forces at UO are MUCH more intense and all the coasters have near vertical drops - nothing like Splash or Expedition Everest. I can't handle them....

Ride everything except hulk, rip ride and velosicoaster.

Jurassic park is a more steep version of splash mountain.

Skip Simpsons. That ride is so dark and the screen needs replacement asap

Have you considered the motion sickness patch? (Trans derm scop patch).
It might make the experience much better for your DH. No one wants to spend chunks of the day sitting around trying to get their stomach under control... and feel like the family is waiting for him... etc. It'd potentially open up a lot of additional options. If spinning is the main issue, beware of Men in Black. My friend does the patch at Universal - without it, anything from Spiderman on up will do her in. With the patch, she can do every ride - we skip the teacups. Men in Black becomes the only ride she can't ride back-to-back (due to the spinning), but she can do it once without issue. Patch lasts for 3 days, is waterproof, and can be worn while consuming booze. It is prescription in the US. Game changer for many rides.

Have you considered the motion sickness patch? (Trans derm scop patch).
It is prescription in the US. Game changer for many rides.
I haven't heard of this. I'll look into it. Thanks!
I love to experience rides for the first time in person, but I think I will be watching some POV ride videos to see what he can handle or not. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

For Minions, they have non moving seats - I sit there while my spouse and kids sit in the row behind me (aka the moving ones).

For non-motion sick experiences, all the Seuss rides, except Cat in the Hat are good...and they have tamed down the cat to have a lot less spinning over the years, so I think you'll be good on everything there. ET and all the Universal children's land rides are similarly good.

Another ride that has a single spin, but I'm always good (on my Dramamine) is MIB...and that's so fun, so if he can do it, do it.

For Harry Potter land, the new coaster IS pretty intense, but it's less intense from the sidecar (you just "feel" the ride less) - it is an awesome ride, so I'd try that....and the smaller coaster is more on par with BTMR, but less theming and shorter.

I'd also try Gringott's and see how he does with that experience. If it knocks him out, don't even think of Forbidden Journey - that one, like the Simpsons, knocks almost all motion sick people for a loop. Instead, have him walk through the castle with you and then head to the exit...

And all the water rides are a ton of fun and he should be good - Dudley Do Right's is actually more intense than Jurassic Park's water ride, but none tend to ping my motion sickness...

And don't forget the shows - do the Bourne stunt show and the Horror Make Up show as a minimum...plus some of the roaming Harry Potter shows and Ollivanders...

And if he wants to try "screens", start with Spider-man, b/c I find it the most "worth it" for rides...if his Dramamine works there, you can think of Transformers, Kong, Jimmy Fallon, etc...but again, the 2 I mentioned up top, have him walk through with you for theming and sit out the ride part...

Last edited:
@bluedolphin32

I am a ride coward so I will not be able to tell you about roller coasters.

Many of the rides at Universal are motion simulators. Jimmy Fallon and Minions are among the milder simulators. Simpsons, Transformers, and Spiderman are more intense in terms of movement.

I like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but it makes me a little dizzy, so maybe make that your last ride of the day or build in a break after.

The rides that I can think of where the main feature is spinning are Men in Black as well Kodos and Kang
Minions made me nauseous but I was fine on Spiderman. Is that weird?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter