HELP! ABD by Japan - major changes to itinerary.

Well I am laughing that you are still craving some food from the 7/11. We did have some folks that said the same thing!! It is a bit hard to articulate exactly what the food issue was. Our night that they changed hotels on us the dinner was not edible. We all went down to 7/11 for "dinner". But nobody else will have that problem bc you wont be put in that hotel. The portions were small but that was expected. I also want to be clear I am a petite woman so large quantities isn't something I typically need or desire. The food was just lacking. Quantity and quality. Tokyo was a food dream and we ate a lot on our own in Tokyo. We are adventurous sushi eaters and did expect more fish. With Disney there were no sushi meals of any kind. So we pursued those on our own. Lots of fried food and meats. No real veggies or salad so don't expect that either. Many people on our trip were very frustrated with the food, so I know it wasn't just us. I am sorry I can't be more specific its hard to put into words.
Also this was our 5th ABD and the first one we were disappointed in. So I wouldn't take it off the table for our future travel, this trip just had lots of misses. I hope yours is smoother and our guides were taking tons of notes so I wouldn't be surprised if some changes were made after our return.

This isn't the first I have heard about the poor food quality and choices with ABD post-Covid. I wonder if this is the new trend? We have been on 5 ABD with the food in China being off-the-charts good with a variety of choices and so plentiful. That was our #1 by far. We recently returned from Greece and were very disappointed with the food. Poor quality, lack of vegetables, dry over cooked meat, mostly served family style where we had to ask for more food to be brought to the table.

I would not return to ABD if Greece had been our first ABD.

This isn't the first I have heard about the poor food quality and choices with ABD post-Covid. I wonder if this is the new trend? We have been on 5 ABD with the food in China being off-the-charts good with a variety of choices and so plentiful. That was our #1 by far. We recently returned from Greece and were very disappointed with the food. Poor quality, lack of vegetables, dry over cooked meat, mostly served family style where we had to ask for more food to be brought to the table.

Wow, this is so disappointing to hear. We've been on 7 ABDs and Greece had some of the best food for us (we also loved China and Japan). The food in Greece was so incredible, it basically changed my teenage son's diet. He was always a good eater, but he pretty much became a foodie with fresh foods, etc. Such a bummer that this has changed.

The food in Greece in 2013 was amazing! Just a tad repetitive, as we had moussaka more than once, but it was amazing and delicious moussaka each time! And fabulous lamb. And lots of salads and vegetables. If they've managed to ruin the food on the Greece trip, that is *SERIOUSLY* sad and ridiculous!

Wow, this is so disappointing to hear. We've been on 7 ABDs and Greece had some of the best food for us (we also loved China and Japan). The food in Greece was so incredible, it basically changed my teenage son's diet. He was always a good eater, but he pretty much became a foodie with fresh foods, etc. Such a bummer that this has changed.
I so agree with this! :( NOT a good sign!

Sayhello

Sounds like a Japan trip would be better just booked on your own. For me, I can see doing an ABD for Countries that may be more of a hassle to get around, but Japan is safe and ever since the Olympics were going to be there, they have made huge changes in making sure that there are lots of signs in English.

Last edited:

I have never been on an ABD but I love the trip reports on this forum! I just wanted to say, as a Pokémon Go enthusiast, I think it’s awesome that you are going to the Pokémon Cafe! I would love to hear about your experience and see pictures :)

This is interesting. Never done an ABD. I have wanted to do the Backstage Magic. Most of the others haven't really appealed to me, because we like to go places on our own. Plan on doing 3 weeks in Japan on our own summer of next year. China would be something I would consider with ABD though. My friends want to do the Egypt one, which does sound really intriguing. Sorry there were so many changes. Japan seems wonderful though, and I bet you will have an amazing time. Definitely try out 7 Eleven and other convenience stores and the pop up cafes. I am not a huge Starbucks fan, but the stuff they sell in Japan looks amazing.

The food in Greece in 2013 was amazing! Just a tad repetitive, as we had moussaka more than once, but it was amazing and delicious moussaka each time! And fabulous lamb. And lots of salads and vegetables. If they've managed to ruin the food on the Greece trip, that is *SERIOUSLY* sad and ridiculous!

I so agree with this! :( NOT a good sign!

Sayhello
We're doing the Greece ABD in a couple weeks. I've read several recent posts on FB from guests who were disappointed with the food on the trip, which is the opposite of what I'd read on these forums. Basically people said they didn't get typical Greek food but instead had a lot of heavy meat and potatoes type meals with very little vegetable. They had to seek out gyro, etc on their own.

I eat meat but not a lot (both in quantity/frequency and in type - no lamb, I eat fish and crab but generally not other seafood, no ham, very picky about any fat etc in beef and chicken,...). I'm really hoping the meals aren't too meat-heavy.

We're doing ABD Egypt next year and the plan for 2025 is ABD Japan, Tokyo Disney on our own, then ABD China. I guess I'll load up on snacks at 7-11 if the trend for Japan continues.

Everyone one's food taste is different. I have been to plenty of restaurants with 1000's of reviews of how great it is, but the food was crap or mediocre . I am sure you will enjoy it. Stay off the forums and Facebook groups and just wait for the trip and enjoy it.

We're doing the Greece ABD in a couple weeks. I've read several recent posts on FB from guests who were disappointed with the food on the trip, which is the opposite of what I'd read on these forums. Basically people said they didn't get typical Greek food but instead had a lot of heavy meat and potatoes type meals with very little vegetable. They had to seek out gyro, etc on their own.

I eat meat but not a lot (both in quantity/frequency and in type - no lamb, I eat fish and crab but generally not other seafood, no ham, very picky about any fat etc in beef and chicken,...). I'm really hoping the meals aren't too meat-heavy.

We're doing ABD Egypt next year and the plan for 2025 is ABD Japan, Tokyo Disney on our own, then ABD China. I guess I'll load up on snacks at 7-11 if the trend for Japan continues.
My suggestion is to let ABD know this about what you do/don't eat, and then talk to the Adventures Guides about it when you meet them on the first day of your ABD. I heard a lot about the New Zealand trip being heavy on fried foods and let ABD and the Guides know that I can't do much in the way of fried foods (I had my gallbladder out last year) and they were wonderful about making sure there were non-fried options for me at each meal. There's only so much they can do, but they will do their very best to get you food that you can eat.

Sayhello

My suggestion is to let ABD know this about what you do/don't eat, and then talk to the Adventures Guides about it when you meet them on the first day of your ABD. I heard a lot about the New Zealand trip being heavy on fried foods and let ABD and the Guides know that I can't do much in the way of fried foods (I had my gallbladder out last year) and they were wonderful about making sure there were non-fried options for me at each meal. There's only so much they can do, but they will do their very best to get you food that you can eat.

Sayhello
One of the girls on our Italy ABD last year is vegan. The guides seemed very good about making sure she was accommodated (eg, ordering her pizza without cheese when we all had pizza lunch together).

I'm less concerned about Greece than Japan (I hate cold rice and seaweed and don't eat sushi/sashimi, but my son's also desperate to go to Japan). I will for sure notify ABD though, especially since one of my kids is allergic to beef.

One of the girls on our Italy ABD last year is vegan. The guides seemed very good about making sure she was accommodated (eg, ordering her pizza without cheese when we all had pizza lunch together).

I'm less concerned about Greece than Japan (I hate cold rice and seaweed and don't eat sushi/sashimi, but my son's also desperate to go to Japan). I will for sure notify ABD though, especially since one of my kids is allergic to beef.
That is actually a bit of a stereotype that Japanese people eastly mostly sushi. I suggest doing some more research on Japanese culture before you go.

There's a lot of variation in Japanese cuisine, though seaweed does show up in a number of things. But you can definitely do just fine without eating sushi. There are lots of noodle dishes (yakisoba, ramen, etc.) and warm rice dishes. Japanese curry is also really excellent and not super spicy. I don't know if the ABD still does the okonomiyaki activity, but that is easily one of my favorite Japanese foods that unfortunately hasn't gotten much of a foothold in the US.

There's a lot of variation in Japanese cuisine, though seaweed does show up in a number of things. But you can definitely do just fine without eating sushi. There are lots of noodle dishes (yakisoba, ramen, etc.) and warm rice dishes. Japanese curry is also really excellent and not super spicy. I don't know if the ABD still does the okonomiyaki activity, but that is easily one of my favorite Japanese foods that unfortunately hasn't gotten much of a foothold in the US.
Exactly. And there is also hibachi and sukiyaki, both of which involve cooking fresh ingredients (beef, chicken, tofu, vegetables, etc) at the table. Delicious and fresh.

Sayhello

That is actually a bit of a stereotype that Japanese people eastly mostly sushi. I suggest doing some more research on Japanese culture before you go.
I guess I should've worded things better. I'm pretty familiar with Japanese cuisine. I didn't mean the comment about not liking seaweed and cold rice to imply that I think the cuisine consists mostly of sushi. I meant that it limits the foods I'll eat since seaweed is so often used in a variety of Japanese dishes (several people had commented that they really liked the convenience store onigiri and had supplemented the ABD meals with it, but unfortunately it often features cold rice and seaweed).

I didn't word things very well apparently. I meant worried about the food in Japan only in that there was discussion about the ABD-specific food not being good and having to supplement with food from 7-11 (such as onigiri which often features cold (room temp) rice and seaweed, which I don't like). I won't go hungry on the ABD. There are Japanese foods I enjoy, I just don't like as much of the cuisine as I do other cuisines. (I actually greatly prefer spicy Indian and Thai curries to Japanese curry.)

Exactly. And there is also hibachi and sukiyaki, both of which involve cooking fresh ingredients (beef, chicken, tofu, vegetables, etc) at the table. Delicious and fresh.

Sayhello
But it's difficult to supplement not-great ABD meals with hibachi on an already packed tour day, no?

I've got a decent okanomyaki recipe if you want it. I've been unable to duplicate onigiri, but I found a "Japanese Soul Food" cookbook a while back with some great recipes.

I've got a decent okanomyaki recipe if you want it. I've been unable to duplicate onigiri, but I found a "Japanese Soul Food" cookbook a while back with some great recipes.
Is there a specific filling in onigiri you are trying to replicate? My Japanese MIL makes them for the kids sometimes. I’m pretty sure it just starts with plain Japanese rice (maybe add salt in your hands when forming the rice balls but don’t use vinegar rice like for sushi), and she wraps some (but not all) with a little bit of nori. Sometimes my husband will sprinkle furikake on top because he likes the flavor, but honestly it’s a pretty simple dish. The key is using good Japanese rice.

For those who like Japanese curry (it’s my husband’s favorite non-dessert comfort food), that’s also really really easy to make. He likes the golden curry brand, which is available in most Asian grocery stores, on Amazon, and even a lot of “normal” markets. We cook the meat first, add the veggies, then add the curry blocks per the instructions on the box. Serve with good Japanese rice. Even my ultra picky daughter loves curry rice so we make it a couple of times a month.

I am unfortunately the only member of my family that really enjoys it, but we are lucky to have a food truck in town that sells it. Thank you, though!

I get what you mean about onigiri. I've made it myself but it's just not the same.

But it's difficult to supplement not-great ABD meals with hibachi on an already packed tour day, no?
Yes, that's true. But your original post didn't specify you were talking about supplementing meals, so I assumed you were worried about the meals themselves. The ABD does a hibachi dinner and 2 sukiyaki meals, and they are delicious and quite filling.

I don't know if the ABD still does the okonomiyaki activity, but that is easily one of my favorite Japanese foods that unfortunately hasn't gotten much of a foothold in the US.
I know someone on the current Japan ABD, and yes, they still do the okonomiyaki activity. It was *so* delicious! I wish I could find a place around here that does it!

For those who like Japanese curry (it’s my husband’s favorite non-dessert comfort food), that’s also really really easy to make. He likes the golden curry brand, which is available in most Asian grocery stores, on Amazon, and even a lot of “normal” markets. We cook the meat first, add the veggies, then add the curry blocks per the instructions on the box. Serve with good Japanese rice. Even my ultra picky daughter loves curry rice so we make it a couple of times a month.
One of my favorite meals on this trip was an OYO lunch we did in a food court area in Tokyo where I had chicken cutlet curry with Udon noodles. It was *so* good!! I also had Japanese curry at Tokyo Disneyland, and it was surprisingly delicious for a theme park quick service meal!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter