Help - Appendicitus symptoms????

bsnyder

DIS Veteran
DS just called me from college. He's on his way to a walk-in clinic. His R.A. thinks he has an appendicitus!

His symptoms are that he had horrible heartburn all afternoon and now it's evolved into a general pain in his right lower abdomen. He says it's tender to the touch and he feels nauseous.

This is my very stoic child, who has an incredible tolerance for pain and discomfort. He just never complains (and he's also very rarely been sick, since he was an infant) so I know the pain must be bad.

Does this sound like the symptoms of an appendicitus?

I feel so helpless....he's 3 1/2 hours away!

Bet, his symptoms sounds like my cousins when he had appendicitis. My cousin was in high school. He went to the doctor and the doc told him it was just gas or something. After a day of him vomiting his mom took him to the ER.

I hope your son is okay! Sending out some good thoughts.

OUCH Im so sorry he doesnt feel good but at least hes being smart about it! I know so many guys would try to " tough it out"

This is one article I found

The physicians found that six aspects of the history exam and the presence of at least four of seven physical symptoms provided the best method for diagnosing appendicitis without the aid of surgical methods. Observation of right lower-quadrant pain, rigidity of the lower abdominal muscle wall and migration of pain from the left side to the right side of the abdomen are the three most prominent clinical findings that indicate a high probability of appendicitis, Wagner said.

Other clinical signs and symptoms that were found to be useful in accurately diagnosing appendicitis included pain before vomiting, irritation of the psoas muscle (found in the lower abdomen), fever, rebound tenderness, guarding (voluntary contraction of the abdominal muscle), no history of similar pain, rectal tenderness, anorexia, nausea and vomiting.

"Clinicians rarely rely on a single sign or symptom for diagnosis but on a combination of findings," Wagner said. Clinicians often do not collect enough clinical details for accurate and precise diagnosis, he said, which is why particular attention should be paid to the findings of the physical and patient-history exams.

The study review also compared the physical and patient-history exams to other diagnostic tests, including computer-aided analyses, X-rays, ultrasound and laparoscopy. The reviewers noted, however, that "none are ideal techniques, and the clinician must depend on patient history and physical examination."

Webmd says...

Appendicitis Detection & Treatment

The Basics | Symptoms | Detection & Treatment
How Do I Know If I Have It?

Diagnosing appendicitis can be tricky. Time is critical, yet appendicitis symptoms are frequently vague or extremely similar to other, less urgent ailments (including bladder infection, colitis, Crohn's disease, gastritis, gastroenteritis, and ovary problems). By gently pressing on your lower right abdomen, your doctor will feel for a hardened, inflamed appendix. A urine test will also be performed to rule out a urinary tract infection. Appendicitis can cause rectal pain instead of abdominal pain, so your doctor will also examine your rectum by inserting a lubricated, gloved finger. A blood test will show if your white blood cell count is elevated, meaning your body is fighting infection. CT scans and ultrasound have proved fast and reliable -- though not perfect -- in revealing appendicitis.

What Are the Treatments?

Surgery to remove the appendix, which is called an appendectomy, is the standard treatment for appendicitis.

Conventional Medicine

If appendicitis is even suspected, physicians tend to err on the side of safety and quickly remove the appendix to avoid its rupture. If the appendix has formed an abscess, you may have two procedures: one to drain the abscess of pus and fluid, and a later one to remove the appendix.

Antibiotics are given before an appendectomy to fight possible peritonitis. General anesthesia is given, and the appendix is removed through a 4-inch incision. If you have peritonitis, the abdomen is also drained of pus. Within 12 hours of surgery you may get up and move around. You can usually return to normal activities in two or three weeks. If surgery is done with a laparoscope (a thin telescope-like instrument for viewing inside the abdomen), the incision is smaller and recovery is faster.

At-Home Care

Keep your incision clean to promote healing and avoid infection.

How Can I Prevent It?

There is no way to prevent appendicitis. However, appendicitis is less common in people who eat foods high in fiber, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.

I hope this helps :)
Let us know!

Hoping it is not appendicitis, Bet, but if it is, good he is getting to the clinic. Let us know how he does.

Yikes, Bet! I'm glad DS is on his way to the clinic!

Keep us updated!

Yikes, Bet, it certainly sounds possible! :(

Hope he's okay and please keep us posted!

Oh no!! I hope it isn't anything serious Bet.. good thing he went in to the doctors!!

Please let us know how he is. . {{{hugs}}}

I had my DD to emerg last Tuesday night for the same sounding thing. She was having bad pains in her lower right abdomin and it was tender to the touch. They ran some blood tests that night, but then sent her home until the next morning when she had to go back for a CATscan and an ultrasound. They found that it was the glands in her abdomin swollen just like the ones in your neck do. The Dr. said that she'd be a little sore for a few days, but that she'd be fine. She didn't vomit or have the runs or fever which the Dr. said were signs of appendicitis.
I hope that your son has the same problem, or something equally easy to deal with.
Let us know how things turn out.

Mine started out with general abdominal discomfort. The discomfort headed to the right lower quadrant after some hours. I experienced nausea and fever. After many hours of denial (I am in the medical field), I gave in and headed to the emergency room. Back in the early 90's they did an ultrasound on us females to check out ovarian problems; fortunately your son would not have to endure that! Blood counts also show elevated white counts to show an infection. Some patients now a days, also have Cat Scans to help diagnose the appendicitis on top of symptoms and blood work. I had mine removed via a laparoscopy with gave me three small incisions. Not a bad recovery although it felt like they put a rotorooter down my right lower quadrant postoperatively!!!!

Keep us posted how your DS is doing.

My very first kidney stone was like that...I could not understand the heartburn, but tender to the touch and everything.

Hoping it isn't anything serious!

Well, I guess I'm going to be staying up for a while longer.

DS just called....he's seen the doctor and they drew blood for some tests. Said it would probably be an hour before he knows anything else. :( :( :(

Long night for you, huh Bet? :( Sorry to read of DS's pain and condition. I can only pray he finds some comfort and relief and, some answers at the clinic and, that it's only something minor. I'm glad that they're not just dismissing him tho. {{HUGS}} Keep us posted.

Blood work came back normal. :) They sent him back to the dorm, and told him to come back tomorrow if the symptoms don't subside.

Maybe he just ate something that gave him really bad indigestion and it's nothing to worry about? Like I said, he almost never complains of feeling sick, so it has me worried.

At least I can go to sleep now, instead of making a drive across the state! He's suppose to call me in the morning to let me know how he feels.

Thanks for the concern, ya'll!

I don't want to worry you- but they sent us home from the ER TWICE telling us all the reason our 4 yo ds did NOT have appendicitis.... If your ds does not feel COMPLETELY symptom free after he does as they say..... tell him to go BACK for a CT scan. I insisted on one for my ds and they discovered his appendix had BURST! Think outside of the box.

My DS (11) just had his appendix out last May. He woke up in the wee hours of the morning complaining of a tummy ache, he tried going to the bathroom, and tried to make himself throw up. No fever, no involuntray vomiting, nothing but a tummy ache. I finally took him to the ER after 3 hours of this. After the blood tests, they thought it was kidney stones, but the CAT scan showed it was appendicitis. They had him in for surgery a couple hours later. He was in good spirits the whole time, never really acted sick.

Good luck to you!

I'm sure glad your son is doing better, Bets. It's always scary when our kids are sick and they're so far from home!! My son has had several knee surgeries (due to basketball:rolleyes: ) while at college so I know what it's like to have them down and out so to speak and all you can do is call on the phone!:o

Thanks for the replies, about being sent home.

It's the thing that's had me worried the rest of the night (didn't get much sleep). Mainly because, like I said, this kid is tough and he never complains of being sick. So if he says he doesn't feel good, it's got to be something!

i'm hoping he feels better.

i went to the urgent care place here last april with all the signs of appendicitis and it took three days of tests and appointments for them to figure out what it was (it ended up not being appendicitis).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter