Help! Black Ants in Dishwasher

Styx Fan

DIS Veteran
The title pretty much says it all. We have black ants in our dishwasher. Been going on for about a week. I have seen a few in the kitchen, but mostly just in the machine. Usually like 3-5 per day. We have been running it daily, but still see them. One time I saw 3 the first time I opened it after running it. Just now DH saw some (He said 10, but I that would be a first) and did a quick rinse cycle to get rid of them and presto, one was there when we opened it.

Anyone experience this? Could they be living in the drain or something? DH is spraying the perimeter of the house right now. See me rolling my eyes that he has ignored my complaints up till now:confused3!

This happened to us several years ago and it was awful. We actually had way more than what you are describing.
The summer it happened it was extremely hot and dry. (Alabama)
They were probably lookin for any food and water.

We tried treating the problem ourselves several ways but in the end had to call pest control to come out.

After that they continued to pop up in different places like the bathroom, garage. I was so nervous about those ants I did a check every morning and night until the weather changed.

Bad memories.

Crossing my fingers the situation doesn't get worse. We have had just the opposite situation of yours....been cool and wet this summer.

The title pretty much says it all. We have black ants in our dishwasher. Been going on for about a week. I have seen a few in the kitchen, but mostly just in the machine. Usually like 3-5 per day. We have been running it daily, but still see them. One time I saw 3 the first time I opened it after running it. Just now DH saw some (He said 10, but I that would be a first) and did a quick rinse cycle to get rid of them and presto, one was there when we opened it.

Anyone experience this? Could they be living in the drain or something? DH is spraying the perimeter of the house right now. See me rolling my eyes that he has ignored my complaints up till now:confused3!

Run and get some "ant traps" immediately. They are not actually traps but little containers of a borax and sweetener compound that the ants will carry back to where ever it is that they're living. Not only will they die but the colony will be poisoned as well. These things are non-toxic (within reason, I personally wouldn't eat them) so they're OK for kitchens. I'd keep one inside my dishwasher when I wasn't using it. We've had REALLY good luck with these. If you know where they're originating from outside you can also get this stuff in powder form and sprinkle it around (again, it's pretty safe for pets or other wildlife).

With ants... take a layered approach....
  • use raid for quick results, but they will return a few later
  • liquid drops for tight corners and awkward locations
  • get the borax metal pucks for long month long results
Yes, don't wait... the problem just gets worse as they breed.

Fire ants... you are on you own... pesticides don't work.... need to consult with exterminator.

Run and get some "ant traps" immediately. They are not actually traps but little containers of a borax and sweetener compound that the ants will carry back to where ever it is that they're living. Not only will they die but the colony will be poisoned as well. These things are non-toxic (within reason, I personally wouldn't eat them) so they're OK for kitchens. I'd keep one inside my dishwasher when I wasn't using it. We've had REALLY good luck with these. If you know where they're originating from outside you can also get this stuff in powder form and sprinkle it around (again, it's pretty safe for pets or other wildlife).

That's what I used except I didn't need the sweet. I had ants in the kitchen and followed their trail. They were coming up the narrow side molding of the stairs. I put about an inch long of Borax on it. They had to walk thru it. Within several days they were gone.

What happens is they take it back to the queen. Kill her and you kill the nest.

I had them in my dishwasher when I first moved in. I used Terro liquid. I bought the small bottle of it. I used a cardboard square (about 1"x1") and put the drop (about the size of a dime) on the square and stuck it in my dishwasher. Within 2 days they were all gone and I had an army of ants, not just 3 or 4!

Good luck. I learned about Terro here on the DIS and it has never failed me yet!

I had this problem last summer. I tried everything, bleach, hot water, cleaners. The ONLY thing that worked was BORAX. They were running between my sink (garbage disposal) and dishwasher. I dumped a bunch of borax down and didn't turn on the water for a while. I didn't see any ants after the first day, but I repeated the process several more times over the next couple of weeks to be sure. I haven't seen any in over a year.

How big are they? When we first moved into our house we saw big black ants in the dishwasher. Turned out to be carpenter ants and we had to have an exterminator come out and find their nest. Haven't seen them since..and that was over 10 years ago.

I have used this recipe all summer with great result.

I mix a few table spoons with a 1/2 cut sugar and 1/2 cup warm water. I dip cotton balls in in and set it where the ants are. They carry it back to the nest and it kills all of them.

Lisa

I have used this recipe all summer with great result.

I mix a few table spoons with a 1/2 cut sugar and 1/2 cup warm water. I dip cotton balls in in and set it where the ants are. They carry it back to the nest and it kills all of them.

Lisa

You mix a few tablespoons of what?? Think you left out a word?

They are attracted to the moisture. We get those little ants in the kitchen under the sink every spring. The best trap is the liquid Terro baits. Its gross because they will attract more ants but you have to let them eat the stuff and take it back to the nest. It reaaly works, after a day or two they are gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter