• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help, cancel because of the fire?

We arrive a week from Thursday. Praying that the weather helps the firefighters contain the fires in both southern and northern CA!!

Good to know... my Mom has been fighting lung issues for over a year. Last thing she needs is to be stuck in more smoke (we live in Portland and were rocked by fires over the summer) so I'm having to watch and make a judgement call on our plans for this Saturday. :/

At this point I wouldn't cancel unless you're travelling with someone who has significant respiratory issues. I'm in Vancouver BC, and this summer and two summers ago we had air quality issues as a result of forest fires (climate change - this might become more frequent), and some specific weather systems. It kind of sucks, and one thing I noticed was allergy-like symptoms and a low-grade headache, but I don't think the air quality in Anaheim is that bad yet.

I'm keeping an eye on this because we're scheduled to fly down on the 23rd. We live in Montana, so this was our life all summer...the smoke in the air won't especially bother us (though it has been awful nice not to breathe smoke since the snow started a couple weeks ago), but we're concerned about the park closing due to fire danger. From what I'm reading, though, it sounds like that's not a concern at this time, though I'm seeing something about Orange County being in a state of emergency, which is not encouraging. My housemate made all the reservations (airline, airbnb, and rental car) so I'm poking her to check on all that (especially the airbnb). We haven't bought our park tickets yet, and now we're probably going to wait until next week to commit to it.

I'm keeping an eye on this because we're scheduled to fly down on the 23rd. We live in Montana, so this was our life all summer...the smoke in the air won't especially bother us (though it has been awful nice not to breathe smoke since the snow started a couple weeks ago), but we're concerned about the park closing due to fire danger. From what I'm reading, though, it sounds like that's not a concern at this time, though I'm seeing something about Orange County being in a state of emergency, which is not encouraging. My housemate made all the reservations (airline, airbnb, and rental car) so I'm poking her to check on all that (especially the airbnb). We haven't bought our park tickets yet, and now we're probably going to wait until next week to commit to it.
I think the 'state of emergency' declaration has to do with being able to receive state and/or federal money and resources to deal with the situation, rather than an assessment of ongoing threat.

I live 3 miles south of Disneyland, and the air quality was much better today. Fire was 40% contained as of tonight, and evacuation orders were mostly lifted. I didn't smell the smoke today in my area, but had a bit of tightness in chest and scratchy throat, but I'm a bit sensitive.

I live 3 miles south of Disneyland, and the air quality was much better today. Fire was 40% contained as of tonight, and evacuation orders were mostly lifted. I didn't smell the smoke today in my area, but had a bit of tightness in chest and scratchy throat, but I'm a bit sensitive.
Thank you!

IMG_3828.JPG IMG_3832.JPG We have been here at DLR since the third. Yesterday was terrible, but today wasn't too bad. I had a pretty significant headache and my daughter is showing cold/flu symptoms. The skies were blue today and I didn't notice any ash or smoke odor.

I took these pictures yesterday with my cell phone. What the photos don't show well is that the sun was bright red. Everything had a yellow tint to it.

IMG_3979.JPG

This is a photopass picture from yesterday that shows some of the yellow tint I was talking about.

In the parks today, If I didn’t know about the fires I wouldn’t have known today. Air seemed normal for an out of towner.

Sitting at Pizza Port in TL now. The air quality is great; there's no indication of a nearby fire and skies are clear blue. I'm asthmatic and sensitive to smoke, soot, etc. and am having zero trouble. It's a great time to come to the park(S)! Def don't cancel.

Last edited:
I read that they are hoping to have the Anaheim Hills fire 100% contained by Saturday, too.

Skies were clear and blue but boy the parks were packed. :crazy: We've got FPs for GoTG tonight so we are heading back soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter