Help !! car rental using debit card

HiyaMyPals

Earning My Ears
We do not have a major credit card.. will we be able to find a car rental using our debit card??

You might want to try contacting the different companies. If you are a member of their club and your debit card is in your profile then you can rent using your debit card. But if you just try to use it at the counter most of the companies won't take it.

I have done this.

DH and I have used a debit card at Alamo and National at different locations in the U.S. One even made reference to it being debit card, but not in a negative sense.
Good luck! :)

In additon to National (which claims they don't but I have never had a problem) and Alamo,
Dollar will honor a debit card.
Best bet, go to the websites for all the rental companies you would be interested in and see what their policies are.
I used my debit card over Priceline for Avis and had no problem, but, used a "real" credit card when we picked up the car.
I am assuming (bad move) that your debit card has either a Visa or MC logo on it.

Most rental places put a "hold" on your card, in that they lock up a certain amount of the available credit limit until the car is returned. With a debit card, that could lock up a huge chunk of your account, and could make for embarrassing scenes. Sometimes the "hold" that is placed is more than twice your estimated rental charges, so be sure to ask up front.

I have had them put an extra day or two charges on the hold but never double. I also agree to call them and ask ahead of time.

They charge the card for the actual amount at Alamo at the beginning of the rental, no holds.
They charge the card for the actual amount at National at the end of the rental, no holds.
They put a hold on the card for the acutal amount plus 10% (min. 200) at the beginning of the rental at Dollar.
Not sure about Budget.

I am a preferred member at Hertz and they put the additional charges on at the beginning. When I rent with National I used my credit card. I know Alamo took my debit card but I don't remember if there was a hold. I would call and ask. Kathy

kathy,
I have rented from Alamo, with my debit card, more times than I can count. They charge you, up front, for the rental and that is all. Trust me, I keep very very stringent count of these things. I know, moment to moment, where my money is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter