• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help complete newby

Crackajac

Earning My Ears
Hi my husband has just found out he has a conference to go to september 19-21 at Waldorf Astoria Orlando.. We were going to go to disneyland during that time but perfect opportunity to jump over to the east coast instead. The size of disneyworld freaks me out.

There is DH, myself and our three daughters 3,6 and 8.

I don't know where to start. Where to stay or anything. I have tried to do some reading but it is all very overwhelming. We were looking at leaving Sydney on 13th September and returning 27th Sept. maybe going to New York for 5 days before disney.

I told a friend of our plans and she told me I was mad as it is smack bang in the middle of hurricane season :confused:. What are your thoughts on this? Is it really a huge thing? I am such a chicken.

All I know is I really want to go to a Halloween party- miss 7 has always wanted to go trick or treating as that is Daddy's birthday so what a perfect opportunity to do it disney style.

Please help me.

Crackajac xxx

Hi Crackajac,

Firstly, welcome to the Disboards :)

If you take a look at the thread named September/October, you'll see that there will be a lot of 'mad' Aussies and kiwis in Florida over that time.

Yes, it is smack bang in the middle of hurricane season, but Orlando is far enough inland that it is quite rare for it to be hugely impacted by a storm. It will be hot and humid, and you should be prepared for the possibility of brief afternoon thunderstorms, but in all, September is considered a pretty good time to travel to WDW.

Some of us (me included) are even taking the risk of cruising around the Caribbean over that time. We've weighed up the pros against the cons, and are comfortable taking the risk. I think that if you have been presented with the opportunity to travel to WDW in just 3-4 months time, grab the opportunity while you can.

September is one of the best times of the year to go to WDW crowd-wise. Because crowds are historically quite a bit lower in September than most other times of the year, there is a free-dining promotion on offer if you stay at a WDW resort. If you are keen to take up this offer, do so quickly, and start making reservations at restaurants. Some WDW restaurants book out as far as 180 days (roughly 6 months) in advance so you'd want to start booking some places asap.

Keep asking questions, and we'll do our best to help.

Happy planning.

Yes it is hurricane season but face it all summer is hurricane season. The Halloween party is great I never miss it. Don't worry just go for it you have a better chance of missing a hurricane that being hit by one.

Welcome to the DisBoards, Crackajac.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. NYC and Orlando. :thumbsup2

In regards to your accommodation question. Are you asking about NYC or Orlando? If your husband is going for a conference, is there a preferred resort recommended as part of the conference? In most cases, it might work out to be the cheapest accommodation for you.

If you're adding on additional nights before/after the conference to see WDW, then you need to work out if you want to stay on site or off site. There are pros and cons for both options and only you can work out which one is better for your family.

With 3 kids, and if you want to stay on-site, there are options and it will come down to your budget.

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is probably going to be one of those events where if you have the opportunity, go for it.

Have fun with the planning.

There are a number of us "mad" ANZACs planning to hit WDW during September/October.

Hi cracajac

check out this web site - designed by a travel agent for WDW first timers and she has a pretty awesome infographic that makes a decent starting point.

Also I think the website your first visit is a decent starting point. this site take the interesting angle of being opinionated. Instead of just reviewing everything, the site basically says 'for all these reasons you should stay/eat/do here'

have fun! what a great opportunity!

Sugar glider thanks or those links I am off to check it out now :)

Princessinoz- if you have any info on both places that would be great. I feel like there is so uncheck I need to do in so little time.

WanderlustNZ- DH was trying to reassure me about the hurricanes but I kept saying what would you know you are too calm about everything ;). Hearing it from you guys helped x

Pieface- hi and thanks for your welcome

Thank you so much for welcoming me and your replies. It has actually helped me become excited and stop worrying about the hurricanes. We lived in Brisbane for 6 years so we are pretty used to humidity.

The conference is at Waldorf Astoria on bonnet creek resort. It is quite expensive so we are happy to not stay there. Apparently very strict with the having 3 kids in a room.

We really wanted to stay in a disney property. One near magic kingdom and maybe on near animal kingdom???????

I have no idea about New York either, this all only happened yesterday so have been on the net since in a pile of information with no idea were to start. All I know is I don't want to travel all the way over there and not see New York.

We have 2 weeks so I was thinking 4-5 days New York and then 9-10 days in disneyworld.

I was just looking at the ADRs (woo hoo I know what that means now) I looked at cindarellas table and there was nothing left for te time we were tree for 5 people only 4.

Does anyone have any advice on where we just have to eat at? And where do you guys like to stay?

Thank you so much
Xxx

Hi Crackajac,

My daughter and I are also going to be in the Big Apple in September, WE CANT WAIT!!. My advice would be to head on over to Trip advisor and check out the New York City Travel Forum http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York_City_New_York.html . They have some great destination experts there who live in the city and have given me some great advice on where to stay and what to do, how to get around you name it they can give you the answers.
Good luck .. the best part is all the planning I think!!

Wow you have a great trip ahead !

We are a family of 5 and stayed at grand Floridian ( right next to magic kingdom). Was fantastic but currently some building work going on.we loved it and had no worries with a room for 5. Nearby are Polynesian, wilderness and contemporary resort . These are all 'magic kingdom' resorts.

In New York we stayed at doubletree Times Square ( a Hilton brand) . They are a suite hotel and we had a 1 bedroom that had 2 queens and a fold out plus mini kitchen, bathroom and lounge room. Right in the middle of Times Square .

Hope this helps with some hotels. Will follow up with some wdw dining choices too.

Make sure you book into the mickeys not so scary Halloween party on certain nights in sept/oct at magic kingdom. It will give you a once in a lifetime trick or treat experience !

Dining ADR especially for kids would be ( we did these)

1900 park fare ( character dining with prince/princesses)
Crystal palace - magic kingdom - great view good characters
Sci Di diner- Hollywood studios - a drive in with a twist
50s prime time diner- a fun dinner set in the 50s at Hollywood studios
There are many more choices . These were just a few of our favourites.

Good luck. Book ASAP to ensure you get a table.

Crackajac - Your options off site include renting a house (check out Windsor Hills Resort among others) or staying at a number of resorts outside of WDW e.g, in the Lake Buena Vista area. For the same amount of money or less, you'll have heaps more room and if you don't want to be locked into WDW all the time, off-site will allow you to escape the total Disney effect. For some people, Disney 24/7 can be too much. :confused3 (Obviously no one on this board!!) You will need to work out how to get to WDW and this may include hiring a car and paying for parking. So make sure you price it out and compare it to staying on-site.

On site options include family rooms at All Star Music, Art of Animation or a room at Port Orleans Riverside or Beach Club. The family rooms can sleep 6. POR is a moderate class of resort and some of their rooms included a trundle bed or the newer rooms have a murphy-style bed in addition to the 2 x double. Some of the rooms at Beach Club include a day bed for the 5th guest.
You could also look at the cabins in Wilderness Lodge. Otherwise, you might want to check out the Disney Villas.

Staying onsite is not exactly cheap and you will have significantly less space than staying off-site. But you'll have the Disney transportation to get you to and from the parks; plus the ability to enter the parks earlier or stay later. With 3 kids, you might find that being to head back to your resort early for a rest and then come back out might be a better experience for everyone.

The onsite resorts that will be pricier will be the ones on the monorail route (Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian) or the ones near Epcot (Beach Club, Boardwalk). There is the Swan and Dolphin hotels at the Epcot area that might be better priced.

As the others have pointed out, book your ADRs ASAP. Character meals are great with kids. I like Tusker House at Animal Kingdom; Cape May at Beach Club, Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom. I've eaten at Chef Mickey many years ago and believe its out of favour with a few of the Dissers now. Garden Grill at Epcot was quite popular with the Aussies a couple of years ago.

For the other Table Service restaurants, there are a few at Epcot; especially the World Showcase. It depends on which cuisine you want to eat and what is available for the dining times you wish to eat at. Otherwise, the Quick service places at Epcot are also quite reasonable. For QS, I like Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe at Morocco, The Boulangerie at France, La Hacienda at Mexico.

At Magic Kingdom, there is Liberty Tree Tavern for a table service buffet. I don't mind eating at Columbia Harbour House or Cosmic Ray's. Haven't tried out Gaston's or Be Our Guest yet.

At Animal Kingdom, my favourite is Yak and Yeti. They have both Table Service or Quick Service to try out. Pizzafari and Flame Tree BBQ are the other options that I don't mind eating at. Otherwise, there is Raintree Forest right at the AK gate.

Disney Hollywood Studios is my least favourite park to eat at. The food there is not as diverse or varied compared to the other parks. Having said that, there are a number of places that the Aussies will recommend at this park....Sci Fi being one of them, 50's Prime Time being the other.

Have fun with the planning.

And I'm another fan of the DoubleTree at Times Square. Just check out the rate and work out if it fits in your budget. It does occassionally go on sale; and the sale rate is a lot more palatable.

Thanks Leannedownunder and Melbourne5.

I was just looking at the Polynesian and it mostly gets great reviews on trip advisor.

We were going to split our stay into two hotels but I am thinking it may be easier just to do the one.

That New York hotel sounds great and I will checkout that trip advisor forum.

Seems like I am goíng to be spending A LOT of time on my iPad doing research on it all seems so complex but going to be so worth it.

Princessinoz- thanks, so so much to take in. Do you think I will be able to organise all of this in such a short amount of time. DH thinks it will all be to much?... I am always up for a challenge. Kids may need to bring themselves up for the next month though ;)

Crackajac - If you have your airfares booked, passports and ESTAs organised, plus travel insurance, the rest will follow.

When you work out where you'll be staying - offsite or onsite, it will give you a guide of how much time you'll be spending at WDW. If you're offsite, chances are you'll have breakfast and a few dinners offsite. And if you want to sit down and eat a meal, just check out what is available and book in, if appropriate.

If on-site, it will depend on the resort. If it has a decent foodcourt, then you can always head back there for food.

With respect to ADRs....I may be flamed for this........you can always eat Quick Service and not worry about ADRs. Table service does add to the experience at WDW, but you can still have decent-ish meals at some Quick Service places; and it won't be the end of the world if you don't eat at the "in" places. Everyone has their different favourites and you will find with all the reviews that there are good and bad reviews for every place.

As many of us can attest, there will always be another trip.

Princessinoz- thanks, so so much to take in. Do you think I will be able to organise all of this in such a short amount of time. DH thinks it will all be to much?... I am always up for a challenge. Kids may need to bring themselves up for the next month though ;)

It certainly is a lot to organise in such a short time, but like you, I'd be up for the challenge also :thumbsup2 Planning is such fun!

I should start with the preface that I have only been to WDW once and it was many, many years ago. In fact I was a teenager and I'm now in my 30's. So my advice isn't as first hand as the wonderful advice you've already received from PIO and the others. But I have done hours and hours and HOURS of research for this trip, so feel like I know at least a bit.

I agree that there are pros and cons to staying on Disney property, but with a young child I have been swayed towards staying onsite. The option of going back to our hotel easily for a short nap really appeals. Plus I'm excited about being fully immersed inside the Disney bubble.

You sound as though you are keen on the Polynesian hotel and it certainly does get rave reviews here on the Disboards. It is one of WDW's most expensive hotels, but if you are comfortable with the prices, go for it.

Do also take a look at the Beach Club which PIO suggested as it's location next to Epcot is great - particularly if you're a foodie. It's pool also gets rave reviews. If budget wasn't a concern for me, I think that's where I would choose to stay. Not that I can complain; I've rented DVC (timeshare) points and have 5 nights at the Boardwalk followed by 6 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and I can't wait!!

Port Orleans Riverside would be your best onsite option for 5 people if you're on more of a budget. The rooms with the murphy bed look great. Art of Animation would be your best option if you want a bit more space. If it was up to my son, we'd be staying in a Car's Suite.

With 5 people, getting the free dining promotion at Disney could save you a lot of money. However, if you do opt for a deluxe resort, also price up the room-only discount as this may end up saving you more money than the free dining. 30% off a deluxe resort would have priced up better for my family than the free dining - but we are a family of 3, not 5.

9-10 days should work out fine. The general recommendation is that the Magic Kingdom and Epcot both need at least 2 days each. AK and HS can be done in 1 each. You'd probably need at least a day for Downtown Disney and shopping and at least a couple of other days to try out some of the other parks (e.g the Disney Water parks, or perhaps Universal Orlando or Seaworld). The advantage of staying onsite is that you can stop easily when the kids begin to crumble and then continue from where you were at a few hours later. I am planning on spending at least a few hours each day relaxing at our resort and hopefully this will allow us to go for 11 days without getting too exhausted.

If I was you, I would:

1) Decide on your dates at WDW
2) Pick you resort and book your room or package. A package (such as free-dining) includes park tickets, but a Room-only booking doesn't.
3) Create a rough itinerary of what parks you'll visit on each day. This is a bit more complicated than it sounds as some parks are busier on certain days. A crowd calendar website such as Touring Plans can help you with this. If you end up buying your park tickets separately, Undercover Tourist is a reputable site with slightly cheaper tickets. There are rumors that WDW will be putting their ticket prices up very soon, so if you can, buy and/or book before the price increase.
4) Once you've got your itinerary, make a few ADRs. Or as PIO suggested, you may prefer to just eat at QS places. I personally am really excited about my ADRs and would be upset if I hadn't made any.
5) Book extras such as MNSSHP tickets. You may have left it too late to get a Pirate's League or BBB booking for Halloween nights, but if this is something that interests you, get on to it asap.

Hope this helps.

welcome to the boards.

i also recommend what the others have said.

if you are staying onsite, all the hotels have free disney transport to all of the disney parks, water parks etc, and disney have the magical express (a free bus that picks you up from the airport and takes you to your hotel, and then from your hotel to the airport), so getting around is usually not an issue.

we have plans to stay at art of animation resort, as it will suit us. they also have a bus directly from the hotel to all of the theme parks, so staying 'close to' a particular park isn't really necessary, as it's roughly just as easy to get from the hotel to any one of the parks as another.

with travelling overseas, i would hope that you have arranged passports and ESTAs for your whole family, and are familiar with the whole TSA and DHS requirements for what you can/can't carry in your luggage, the fastest ways to get through security lines, paperwork required etc. in all of the reviews and research i did, it seems that if you can get this part of the trip planning organised, then you can ensure that you are prepared and you are more likely to have a happier experience getting through the airport than someone who might be less prepared.

i also second the recommendation for accomodation in/around times square. if it's your first time in nyc, one of the best options is to stay in times square and book the grayline loop tours. if you will be there for several days, you can book a 72 hour loop tour (relatively inexpensive, approx $50pp) as this gives you a guided tour in a double decker bus around the uptown loop, downtown loop, night lights loop and brooklyn loop. this is a great option to get a feel for the city, see all the highlights and get cheap transportation at your convenience from one place to another, without worrying about managing the subway. if you are a confident traveller, by all means, use the subway, but for our first trip, we wanted to do things the easiest way possible, and we learnt so much on the tours (the top of the bus is open air, so you get amazing views and fabulous pics that you won't get in the bottom enclosed part of the tour bus). the tour guides were crazy informative and gave us lots of trivia and historical information, celebrity sightings, pop culture references etc. it was a really great experience :)

re: wdw. i bought the passporters guide to wdw book. also the unofficial guide to wdw. these helped frame the decisions i was going to make.

my decision making went like this:

- what was my budget for the trip. was it a hard limit, or was it flexible?
- how long was i staying in which location, on what dates, and were there any deals etc
- what facilities were 'deal breakers' and what were 'nice to haves'
- what kind of accomodation did i want (suites, single rooms etc)
- what did i want to accomplish while i was there

for me, the budget helped knock out some accomodation options at wdw straight away.

there were some room only deals but the discount on those meant they were still more expensive than some of the other onsite hotels.

i needed rooms that had certain features, so that automatically locked out some more accomodation options, so then i was down to a much smaller list of about 6 places, out of a total of approx 40 :cool1:

the list of things i wanted to accomplish while i was there also helped to knock out some options. try and use a site like www.touringplans.com to educate yourself about which days will be better in which parks. there is nothing worse than heading to a park and finding it hot and crowded and frustrating and later hearing that another crowd was practically dead. touring plans gives you pretty accurate predictions as to which parks will be best visited on which days. don't feel you have to do all of them if you don't want to.. just focus on the bits you want to accomplish :)

september/october is hurricane season, sure, but there is a very, very small chance that a hurricane will make landfall. i live in brisbane, so florida is very similar weather to our summers. the temp may be only mid 30's but the humidity is very, very high. just treat it like a brisbane summer (but with sudden afternoon showers that usually only last for a max of 30mins) and you'll be prepared.

i am also cruising the caribbean this hurricane season. it's truly unlikely to actually have a hurricane affect it :) if i was planning a trip in sept/oct, i would be counting down the weeks and frantically planning. don't stress about the weather, it's the one thing you can't control :)

best of luck with the planning... everyone on the ANZAC disboards is amazingly helpful, so you are in great hands :worship:

Hi, welcome to the Aussie part of the boards :)
another vote for Doubletree in Times Square - start following Hilton/Doubltee now for discounts.

We have stayed at Port Orleans on both our trips to WDW, last year we stayed in a royal room, I think they also sleep 5. make sure you look up the Arekusas dinner at Epcot - there is princesses.

My suggestion, catch DME, stay at a Disney resort, one of the values, book a room or a suite for five and hop on the Disney buses or boats or monorails. If going offsite (not sure why you would want to LOL) catch a taxi. Enjoy Disney and see what the place has to offer and then plan to go back again. Most people do it all wrong the first time no matter how much info they have. :):)

Welcome Crackajac :wave:

I'm a fan of on-site too and with Free Dining available for your dates I'd go for it. Your best option for accommodation is Port Orleans - Riverside. If you like your space or are a heavy traveller i.e. lots of luggage, you may want to look at Art of Animation or one of the deluxe/deluxe villas.

In terms of ADR's for your 3 girls:

• Crystal Palace
  • Cinderella's Royal Table
  • Coral Reef
  • Teppan Edo
  • Sci-Fi
  • Tusker House
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • 'Ohana
  • Chef Mickey's
  • Hollywood & Vine

There are better food options than Chef Mickey's and Hollywood & Vine on my list but having the opportunity to get photos with characters without having to wait in line is a huge bonus. We had a lot of fun dancing with the Playhouse Disney characters at Hollywood & Vine when our kids were younger. **BORING MUM ALERT** The other advantage of most character meals is they're buffets which gives more vegetable choices for the kids.

Another option is Be Our Guest, as either a TS or QS. I can't vouch for this yet - roll on September!

Loved PIO's list :thumbsup2 definitely nailed the best quality dining at each park/resort.

If you're unable to get the ADR you want, keep checking. On a number of occasions, I've managed to get mine a week out and even on the day. pixiedust:

From one Newbie to another: Welcome!

You will get some great info on this board, everyone is very friendly.

My advice is

1. check your passport
  2. Book your tickets
  3. Get the US entry paperwork done
  4. extend the limit on your credit card (the shopping in the US is amazing!:worship:)

The rest will fall into place!

I have found reading the trip reports as well as the normal threads has helped me with a lot of my planning. Mousesavers.com was also a big help with basic info on my first trip to DL.

With NYC, I second the hop on hop off buses suggested above. They are a great way to get around, get local info and decide what you want to visit when. Don't forget to tip the driver every time you leave the bus. They split the tips with the guide and make very little as an hourly rate. We tipped according to how long we'd been on it each time.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn midtown and really enjoyed it. We were only a short taxi ride from Times Square when we wanted to be in the hub of things so to speak. Midtown allowed us to see some of the non touristy bits of the city that we might not have ventured out to see. However with little kids, Times Square might be the go for you depending on what you want to see and do.

You will get this done in time, and you will have a blast! :thumbsup2

Welcome and yay for your upcoming trip. You are going to have so much fun. NYC is our absolute favourite, you will love it.

WDW planning can seem overwhelming at first but if you break it down into chunks and ask lots and lots of questions on here, you will get there in no time. You have already been offered so many wonderful suggestions and advice, I'm not sure what I can add, but just wanted to say:-

"You've come to the right place". :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter