Help! DCL vs. RCL Honeymoon

Off to Neverland 7

DIS Veteran
Needing some help.. DF and I are total Disney fanatics and he actually proposed to me on our most recent Disney cruise. In planning our honeymoon cruise, DF doesn't want to go with Disney, but of course I do.. so now I'm shopping for other options.. does anyone have any experiences with honeymooning on RCL and care to share their experiences? I just spent a good year researching all I need to know about DCL and looking at RCL is a little overwhelming. Thank you in advance! :)

We did somewhat the opposite of your idea. We had our honeymoon at Disney and our 1 year anniversary on RCCL. I would say if you already did DCL, go with RCCL this time. You will obviously like one over the other after experiencing both. However, I wouldn't say RCCL is a terrible decision compared to DCL. RCCL has a lot of activities on board, A LOT. So, if you need activities, RCCL is going to be just fine. If the opposite it true and you are the lounging around type, RCCL has plenty of space for this as well. We have picked trips with 5 stops and one with only 3. We enjoy getting off the ship, so there will be no more 3 stop cruises for us. Even though there is plenty on the ship to do, we want to get off and site see and we felt a little bored on back to back at sea days.

We have yet to do DCL, but plan on it in the future.

If DF really wants non-DCL, then go with RCCL. We have done both 4X. RCCL is a very nice product, although we strongly prefer DCL for ambiance, better food in MDR, better shows, and movie theater. For RCCL, I would book a cruise with lots of ports to explore, so the ship is not as important, and then not a letdown if you find you prefer DCL--it won't matter, b/c you are busy during the day snorkeling, etc. I highly recommend booking some of the specialty restaurants, as we found MDR is sliding a bit--not bad, but not memorable. Rooms are smaller on RCCL, and most bathrooms are 1 smaller room vs. separated.
with that said, with a good attitude and not constantly comparing, RCCL is a great cruise. I would not hesitate to cruise on any RCCL ship. Have a great honeymoon! Elaine

Isn't it funny how people have different tastes? For us, the food on Royal is far better than the food on Disney. It's getting to the point where there's one dish on Disney that I can stand, and we just request vegetarian Indian food on all the days but the first. (can't order it on the first, the cooks need time to get it prepared)

We get Indian food on Royal, too, but the servers there fall over backwards to make sure we ALSO order the menu food, and there's a lot more that we like on their menu than there is on Disney's menus.

We honeymooned on Royal so that's my preference.

What do you guys like to do? How do you feel you will spend your time? Couple thoughts - consider Celebrity. Owned by RCI and is just amazing. But they don't have rock climbing walls. I did a honeymoon in Celebrity. I'm on RCI now and it's good. It's good for my son but I cannot wait to return to Celebrity once my son is old enough. We also just recently cruised Disney so I am well versed in the lines.

Anyway- the answer partially depends on what you are looking for on your honeymoon. Consider using a travel agent to help you book they are well versed and usually won't charge extra.

What do you guys like to do? How do you feel you will spend your time? Couple thoughts - consider Celebrity. Owned by RCI and is just amazing. But they don't have rock climbing walls. I did a honeymoon in Celebrity. I'm on RCI now and it's good. It's good for my son but I cannot wait to return to Celebrity once my son is old enough. We also just recently cruised Disney so I am well versed in the lines.

Anyway- the answer partially depends on what you are looking for on your honeymoon. Consider using a travel agent to help you book they are well versed and usually won't charge extra.

We really just enjoy trying new things. We are looking for a mix of a relaxing poolside vacation and fun activities to keep us occupied. We LOVE to eat. We like mini golf, rock climbing, watching movies, skating, bike riding, and are open to anything really. We really enjoyed snorkeling at Castaway Cay. Thanks, I'll look into Celebrity cruises!

We found out there was too much to do on the ship and we didn't have enough time, which is a good thing. We are active people, so lounging around the pool, not happening. I think on the last trip we spent maybe 3 hours the whole week by the pool. We did ice skating, rock climbing, putt putt, indoor golf range, we did several trivia games at the various bars, BINGO at the end when the cover all was $85,000(missed it by 2 numbers)We always got off the ship at every port and either toured the area or had an excursion. In the evening we hit the hot tub before dinner and then went to every show at night. Usually in bed by midnight-1 and up by 8 for breakfast/workout. We did watch some of the poolside entertainment, which can be hit or miss depending on the crowd you are with. RCCL gives you an itinerary every morning and lists what is going on. We just looked at it over breakfast and went from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter