Help deciding disneymoon accommodation

einonsy

Earning My Ears
Evening all!

Hope you have all had a great week, I'm currently recovering from having my wisdom tooth removed under general Anesthetic.. .so have been in the clouds all week!

Ok so the dilema is:

Ive booked 16 nights staying at POR for our honeymoon next year (June 2012)

Since booking and spending numerous hours on thedibb and disboards i really cant decide whether to upgrade to OKW, SSR our just stay at POR with the room updates that will be in place next year upgrade from QSDP to DDP.

So here is where i hope you can help... what would you do.. would cost us £600 to upgrade to OKW or SSR or £500 to upgrade to DDP... hmmm HELP !

Probably make the decision in the next 3 days so any advice, hints and tips would be great! once decided i can start my pre trippie! whooop!

As its our honeymoon want it to be that little bit more special... what resort will help do that?

If your choices are just between those 3, then I would say keep your ressie at POR. The amenities of POR & OKW are not worth the extra expense, in my opinion. Now if you were talking WL or AKL vs. POR, that would be a different story. ;)

I hope your tooth heals up soon. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :goodvibes

Evening all!

Hope you have all had a great week, I'm currently recovering from having my wisdom tooth removed under general Anesthetic.. .so have been in the clouds all week!

Ok so the dilema is:

Ive booked 16 nights staying at POR for our honeymoon next year (June 2012)

Since booking and spending numerous hours on thedibb and disboards i really cant decide whether to upgrade to OKW, SSR our just stay at POR with the room updates that will be in place next year upgrade from QSDP to DDP.

So here is where i hope you can help... what would you do.. would cost us £600 to upgrade to OKW or SSR or £500 to upgrade to DDP... hmmm HELP !

Probably make the decision in the next 3 days so any advice, hints and tips would be great! once decided i can start my pre trippie! whooop!

As its our honeymoon want it to be that little bit more special... what resort will help do that?

Here's my suggestion!

If you're upgrading to a OKW/SSR Studio--then no--keep POR with a King Bed. The studios have a queen bed. They all have the boat to DD and the same travel times, so I would stick with what you have if this is the case.

If you're upgrading to a OKW/SSR 1-BR--then YES DO IT NOW!! The one bedrooms are amazing and the space will be great for the long stay!!

OKW/SSR--I've stayed at both and I like them both. I would take a look at the pictures and see which appeals to your personal taste more!!

If themeing is important to you then I'd stick with the POR.

OKW is nice, but the theme is much more subdued that at POR. Also, they are currently doing various rehabs at the resort so depending on when you are going that may be an issue.

SSR's theme is so subtle that it's almost non-exsistant.

We stayed at POFQ for our Disneymoon and thought it was very romantic! It feels much smaller and cozier than other resorts... Plus there is only one bus stop. The rooms are small, but we had a nice king sized bed... We had the DDP and loved it! We love a good meal :)

Definitely stay at POR in the mansions and go with the DDP. DH and I love taking time out to relax and have a sit down meal every day.
Have a great trip!

Definitely stay at POR in the mansions and go with the DDP. DH and I love taking time out to relax and have a sit down meal every day.
Have a great trip!

I have a different view. We just had our disneymoon this past may in a 1bdr Boardwalk View at Boardwalk Villas and it was perfect. We could walk everywhere we wanted except for AK. It was soo easy to walk to the bars all the resturants the parks it was just perfect for us. Now for cost i would really look at renting DVC points from someone as you can get a pretty significant savings if you go that route.

I have a different view. We just had our disneymoon this past may in a 1bdr Boardwalk View at Boardwalk Villas and it was perfect. We could walk everywhere we wanted except for AK. It was soo easy to walk to the bars all the resturants the parks it was just perfect for us. Now for cost i would really look at renting DVC points from someone as you can get a pretty significant savings if you go that route.

I'm guessing the cost differential between POR and a 1 bedroom suite at Boardwalk Villas would be substantial, even for someone renting points. As the OP's question was between POR, SSR, and OKW, I'm assuming those are probably the ones that are closest in price in which she's interested. Personally, I'd stay with Port Orleans. It's our favorite of the moderate resorts, and it sounds like, with that particular resort, you'll get a nice and long trip.

Enjoy your vacation!
Cheers!
Heather W

I would stick with POR in the mansion section. We love both Magnolia Terrace & Acadian House. Request a room close to the bridge. Great location, close to amenities and bus stop. Rooms were just newly refirbished. We were in a new room in Aug, it was very nice.
POR has the boat to DTD, Horse & Carriage rides, and fun evening entertainment in the lounge. Everywhere is walking distance, unlike OKW or SSR.
I think POR has the best landscapping of all the WDW resorts. I love just strolling along the river paths. Look on the POR thread for some great photos.

I would stay at POR. IMHO, the only upgrade that is worth it is a monorail resort.

Well, here's my two cents. If you are saying that you can either upgrade the resort OR buy the dining plan, I would stay where you are and buy the dining plan. If you do the upgrade you are paying the extra money PLUS paying for food on top of it.

The main reason I choose a DVC villa (studio or 1BR) is because I want kitchen/kitchenette facilities for that particular trip. For a trip of 16 nights, that would be important to me. But since you are considering the dining plan, that may not be so important to you.

The villas will have balconies and the moderate resorts won't. Is that important to you?

The moderate resorts will have a food court for quick meals, but the villas focus more on table service restaurants. Which kind of dining appeals to you more?

You have to decide what you want out of your resort experience before you can decide whether you need to change resorts or stay with the one you already booked.

Here's my suggestion!

If you're upgrading to a OKW/SSR 1-BR--then YES DO IT NOW!! The one bedrooms are amazing and the space will be great for the long stay!!

I'm a DVC member and agree with this opinion. Studios at OKW and SSR are not such a big deal, except for the fact that you have access to a patio or balcony.

However, if I had the chance to upgrade to a 1 bedroom, I would do that in heartbeat. The separate bedroom/living room, king size bed and jacuzzi make it a no-brainer! Good luck with you decision, and have a fantastic honeymoon!

In your situation, I would stay at POR, request the mansions, and get the ddp. You will want to have some nice table service meals on your disneymoon. POR should be a nice setting for your trip. :)

I would stick with POR and get the DDP. You will not want to cook on your Honeymoon so I don't think the kitchenette would be worth it. Schedule a horse drawn carriage ride for a romantic night too.

I cannot imagine spending 16 days in a regular hotel room, so if you are looking at one bedroom at OKW or SSR, I would go for that. A little extra living space will be nice for an extended stay.

I agree with some of the pp's. I would def up grade if you're talking about a one bedroom. If not then stay at POR it is a gorgeous resort!

Have you thought about renting DVC points and staying at a Boardwalk resort or the Wilderness lodge to be close to the MK? If your dates are set in stone (as a wedding date would be :goodvibes) renting points can save a lot of money!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I am going to stay at POR for the honeymoon, as you said its a great setting!

we will then be upgrading to DDP and start planning the ADR's :-)

Thanks All!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter